Groundhog Day-Style Action Movie BOSS LEVEL Starring Frank Grillo and Mel Gibson (First Trailer)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Mel Gibson and Frank Grillo to Star in Joe Carnahan's Action Thriller BOSS LEVEL

XhFIBle.jpg

Mel Gibson and Frank Grillo are in talks to star in Boss Level, an action thriller that Joe Carnahan will direct next year. The premise: Every day, a retired special forces veteran (Grillo) is trapped in a never-ending loop resulting in his death. In order to stop his endless suffering, he must figure out who is responsible and stop them. Carnahan wrote the script.

The film will be financed by Emmett/Furla/Oasis, and produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian, and Randall Emmett and George Furla. It is a co-production between EFO, Di Bonaventura Pictures, Carnahan and Grillo’s War Party, and Scott Free, whose Jules Daly will be exec producer.

Gibson comes to this after the successful opening of Daddy’s Home 2 at Paramount Pictures. He is getting close to securing indie financing for the film he will direct on the ruthless Italian banking family The Medicis to follow his Best Picture nominee Hacksaw Ridge. Other films he is plotting as an actor includes a re-team with Danny Glover and director Dick Donner for another Lethal Weapon film at Warner Bros.

Grillo just worked with EFO on the action film Reprisal, and starred in the Netflix film Wheelman.

Mel Gibson and Frank Grillo In Talks For Joe Carnahan-Directed ‘Boss Level’ (Exclusive)

Based on the title, this film should've been about video games.

Instead, it's an action movie version of GROUNDHOG DAY.

Sounds interesting, and I'm glad to see Mel land a new role, but damn it seems like a lot of Groundhog Day-esque stuff is coming out right now.

This will be the third film after Edge of Tomorrow and Happy Death Day.

These motherfuckers are getting creative with these movies where they only need one set.

Source_Code_Poster.jpg

1200x630bb.jpg

7918_5772.jpg

Mel Gibson and Frank Grillo to Star in Joe Carnahan's Action Thriller BOSS LEVEL

XhFIBle.jpg

Mel Gibson and Frank Grillo are in talks to star in Boss Level, an action thriller that Joe Carnahan will direct next year. The premise: Every day, a retired special forces veteran (Grillo) is trapped in a never-ending loop resulting in his death. In order to stop his endless suffering, he must figure out who is responsible and stop them. Carnahan wrote the script.

The film will be financed by Emmett/Furla/Oasis, and produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian, and Randall Emmett and George Furla. It is a co-production between EFO, Di Bonaventura Pictures, Carnahan and Grillo’s War Party, and Scott Free, whose Jules Daly will be exec producer.

Gibson comes to this after the successful opening of Daddy’s Home 2 at Paramount Pictures. He is getting close to securing indie financing for the film he will direct on the ruthless Italian banking family The Medicis to follow his Best Picture nominee Hacksaw Ridge. Other films he is plotting as an actor includes a re-team with Danny Glover and director Dick Donner for another Lethal Weapon film at Warner Bros.

Grillo just worked with EFO on the action film Reprisal, and starred in the Netflix film Wheelman.

Mel Gibson and Frank Grillo In Talks For Joe Carnahan-Directed ‘Boss Level’ (Exclusive)

Sounds like a rip off of Edge of Tomorrow (aka, Live, Die, Repeat).

Two of my favorite things, Mel GIbson & time loop stories.

Sounds interesting, and I'm glad to see Mel land a new role, but damn it seems like a lot of Groundhog Day-esque stuff is coming out right now.

This will be the third film after Edge of Tomorrow and Happy Death Day.

How is Happy Death Day?

Keep seeing it around but havent watched any trailers of it so no idea what its about.

How is Happy Death Day?

Keep seeing it around but havent watched any trailers of it so no idea what its about.

I'd call it "mildly entertaining." It has its moments but I never did feel fully engaged by it and I found myself checking the clock several times.

Overall I gave it a 6.5/10. The best thing about it is Jessica Rothe, who plays the lead. She's a treat to watch, and not just because she's good looking. She's a talented performer as well.

Update: March 26, 2018

Naomi Watts Joins Mel Gibson in Joe Carnahan's Action Pic BOSS LEVEL

jGbxkSr.jpg

Naomi Watts is in negotiations to join Frank Grillo and Mel Gibson in the Joe Carnahan action pic “Boss Level,” sources tell Variety.

Carnahan is directing from a script penned by the Borey Brothers. Will Sasso is also joining the cast. Grillo will play a retired special forces veteran trapped in a never-ending loop, resulting in his death every day. Details regarding who Watts will be playing are unknown.

The film will be financed by Emmett/Furla/Oasis, and produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian, and Randall Emmett and George Furla. Production companies are Emmett/Furla/Oasis, Di Bonaventura Pictures, Carnahan and Grillo’s War Party, and Scott Free.

Watts was most recently seen in Focus’ “The Book of Henry,” which also stars Jacob Tremblay, and Lionsgate’s “The Glass Castle” opposite Brie Larson. Her drama “Ophelia,” a reimagining of “Hamlet” told from the prospective of the titular character’s lover, premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. Watts played Gertrude in the film.

She recently wrapped production on the indie “The Luce” opposite Octavia Spencer, as well as the GEM Entertainment movie “The Wolf Hour,” which also stars Jennifer Ehle.

Naomi Watts Eyes Action Movie ‘Boss Level’ With Frank Grillo and Mel Gibson (Exclusive)

I'd call it "mildly entertaining." It has its moments but I never did feel fully engaged by it and I found myself checking the clock several times.

Overall I gave it a 6.5/10. The best thing about it is Jessica Rothe, who plays the lead. She's a treat to watch, and not just because she's good looking. She's a talented performer as well.
Same sentiment with Happy Death Day. It just didn't capitalize on its fun premise. Something more "fun" was missing. I love Jessica Rothe. She's so cute in the MTV cancelled series Mary and Jane.

1. No one ever mentions this episode when Groundhog Day shenanigans come up.

2. The fact that the scenario gets harder and harder the longer he plays hasn't been used in a film yet.

Update: February 20, 2021

Official Trailer for BOSS LEVEL Starring Frank Grillo; Premieres March 5 on Hulu

Stuck in a time loop, doomed to repeat the same day over and over again while being hunted by dozens of deadly assassins, a man struggles to find a way out of his strange predicament. The film stars Frank Grillo, Mel Gibson, Michelle Yeoh, Naomi Watts, Ken Jeong, Annabelle Wallis and Rob Gronkowski.

Back