MENDES BROS | 30+ MINUTES OF SPARRING | Art of Jiu Jitsu Academy

Wasn't the first guy Gui rolled w/ (ALMA on his back) Koji Shibamoto? That guy usually medals at Worlds (rooster div).

Wasn't the first guy Gui rolled w/ (ALMA on his back) Koji Shibamoto? That guy usually medals at Worlds (rooster div).

Yes. Those were odd rolls (there are a few up on their site), KS didn't seem to be moving very fast at all the whole time.

This may make no sense, but I always seem to gas out when I visit other academies, maybe just not being as familiar w/ the people etc? Or it is the traveling, not being as hydrated. Not sure.

It really wrecks me going to other climates. Particularly higher or humid.

But the again, when I travel it's a vacation so my libations also go up

Now that I can relate to, haha.

Going from desert to very humid kills me. I travel to Hong Kong on a regular basis and it definitely takes me a couple sessions to acclimatise. On the plus side, I live at 5000 ft elevation. When I dropped in at AOJ I felt like I had cardio for days.

I also want to know who that last guy is. I think that guy did better than any non-world class level person I've seen (i.e. not Demente or Keenan-level name).

Wasn't the last guy on TUF not too long ago? He looks familiar.

I also want to know who that last guy is. I think that guy did better than any non-world class level person I've seen (i.e. not Demente or Keenan-level name).

Yeah I'm curious too, had a tough style.

After some further digging, I'm pretty sure I was right and that the last guy was on TUF 19. I think his name is Anton Berzin. He's a light heavy weight.

I think he was also 50lbs heavier than Rafa.

That usually doesn't matter too much. I've seen Rafa roll w/ some big guys. Galvao and Keenan, compete against Rodolfo etc...

That usually doesn't matter too much. I've seen Rafa roll w/ some big guys. Galvao and Keenan, compete against Rodolfo etc...

but that's mostly in nogi.

i love rafa and i think he's the p4p best bjj fighter in the world, but in the gi, rodolfo probably runs through him pretty quickly these days.

i love rafa and i think he's the p4p best bjj fighter in the world, but in the gi, rodolfo probably runs through him pretty quickly these days.

Maybe so, but I was just pointing out that the 50lbs probably didn't make too much difference with that guy, but you never know. I felt like that guy had a pretty trick guard and combined it well w/ his wrestling.

Maybe so, but I was just pointing out that the 50lbs probably didn't make too much difference with that guy, but you never know. I felt like that guy had a pretty trick guard and combined it well w/ his wrestling.

i don't know, i was talking to a friend of mine about that clip and he pointed out that the guy could easily load up rafa's weight on his hook and elevate him, then move forward and come up to a single. i think he did that 2 or 3 times, as soon as rafa steps over the DLR, the guy loads him up, rocks him backward, then forward and up he goes with the single.

the weight and strength difference is very much evident there, when you have bigass legs and a 50lbs weight advantage, pulling them forward with your weight and elevating them isn't difficult at all. i know i've been on the receiving end of that, and i'm about rafa's size, when someone large uses their legs correctly, there isn't a damn thing i can do about it.

not to take anything away from him, i think we're actually in agreement here. the guy looks really skilled. i'm just saying, small skilled guys get raped by them. the big skilled guy holds his own - size matters.

The big black belt is pro MMA guy Anton Berzin. He is a skilled blackbelt and has at least 60 lbs over Rafa

i don't know, i was talking to a friend of mine about that clip and he pointed out that the guy could easily load up rafa's weight on his hook and elevate him, then move forward and come up to a single. i think he did that 2 or 3 times, as soon as rafa steps over the DLR, the guy loads him up, rocks him backward, then forward and up he goes with the single.

the weight and strength difference is very much evident there, when you have bigass legs and a 50lbs weight advantage, pulling them forward with your weight and elevating them isn't difficult at all. i know i've been on the receiving end of that, and i'm about rafa's size, when someone large uses their legs correctly, there isn't a damn thing i can do about it.

not to take anything away from him, i think we're actually in agreement here. the guy looks really skilled. i'm just saying, small skilled guys get raped by them. the big skilled guy holds his own - size matters.

Yeah I think we are in agreement, and being in the Feather division myself I know exactly how this feels. Haha

Anton is a local Philly fighter. He walks around 220 and is extremely strong and skilled. Super nice guy too.

I agree - but we'll never know as they don't seem to wanna test the open class weight division.

Back