Mendez Boxing in NYC? Muay Thai?

DoggyDogWorld

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
hi everyone, I'm just getting back into striking after taking years off, Mendez Boxing is right around the corner. I read on this forum, and checked on their IG page that they have a Muay Thai trainer there, can anyone here vouch for their kickboxing/Muay Thai?

Should I just take boxing there, or what?

Additionally, what would provide the better striking base? Or should I just do both (in addition to rolling at my BJJ gym)?

Additionally, what would provide the better striking base? Or should I just do both (in addition to rolling at my BJJ gym)?
For MMA?

Long term boxing imo. Early on in your ammy career, MT/KB will be better, esp. against gyms that have limited knowledge on it, and there's alot of those.

For MMA?

Long term boxing imo. Early on in your ammy career, MT/KB will be better, esp. against gyms that have limited knowledge on it, and there's alot of those.

Should I do a 3 day 2 day split? Or just focus on both while in the gym and do an extra long training session?

Should I do a 3 day 2 day split? Or just focus on both while in the gym and do an extra long training session?
Depends on your needs.

Do it like that for now, possible alternating every week. If you have the energy to do back to back classes daily, so that. Given they're doing box+MT back to back.

You're still new I'm assuming, so you'll soak the knowledge up like a sponge

Depends on your needs.

Do it like that for now, possible alternating every week. If you have the energy to do back to back classes daily, so that. Given they're doing box+MT back to back.

You're still new I'm assuming, so you'll soak the knowledge up like a sponge

It's not so much classes as it is individual trainers, ie they're in there all the time and people are constantly coming and going. So there are no hard and fast rules.

With that said, do you think rolling at my BJJ gym 4-5x a week will detract from my growth as a striker? Or should I be good to go?

Lastly, if eating at a caloric surplus and lifting 2x a week, will decent size gains be possible?

For MMA?

Why do you guys insist on that? Is it due to the tiny gloves, that boxing proficiency is more crucial than Muay Thai?

It's not so much classes as it is individual trainers, ie they're in there all the time and people are constantly coming and going. So there are no hard and fast rules.

With that said, do you think rolling at my BJJ gym 4-5x a week will detract from my growth as a striker? Or should I be good to go?

Lastly, if eating at a caloric surplus and lifting 2x a week, will decent size gains be possible?
Most gyms these days won't let you compete until you have competition exp in striking and grappling. So you'll be competing in both MT/KB and BJJ so when that happens you focus all the priority on those areas. Before then take as much as you can.

For gains, if you're cutting you won't put on size. You could improve strength esp. if you're new to it as well, but when in camp I would taper lifting down at the 4 week out mark. With conditioning and skillwork, it might be a bit much.

Why do you guys insist on that? Is it due to the tiny gloves, that boxing proficiency is more crucial than Muay Thai?
For one the stance in MT and clinch defense of keeping jock to jock is completely counter productive in MMA, while boxing stance flows intuitively with wrestling

The lack of hands and in a game where majority of your competitors are focusing on it is a big part too.

Footwork and lateral movement.

Early on its the usual tools that MT has that wins over more boxing oriented fighters, but as you gain experience you deal with that and it won't be an edge anymore.

Most gyms these days won't let you compete until you have competition exp in striking and grappling. So you'll be competing in both MT/KB and BJJ so when that happens you focus all the priority on those areas. Before then take as much as you can.

For gains, if you're cutting you won't put on size. You could improve strength esp. if you're new to it as well, but when in camp I would taper lifting down at the 4 week out mark. With conditioning and skillwork, it might be a bit much.

For one the stance in MT and clinch defense of keeping jock to jock is completely counter productive in MMA, while boxing stance flows intuitively with wrestling

The lack of hands and in a game where majority of your competitors are focusing on it is a big part too.

Early on its the usual tools that MT has that wins over more boxing oriented fighters, but as you gain experience you deal with that and it won't be an edge anymore.

Got it. Can you use the boxing stance against a Muay Thai guy and check low kicks, like Somart did in MT rules or was he an exception? One MT coach claimed that you can use the boxing stance as long as you check the low kicks.

Got it. Can you use the boxing stance against a Muay Thai guy and check low kicks, like Somart did in MT rules or was he an exception? One MT coach claimed that you can use the boxing stance as long as you check the low kicks.
Nothing wrong with it if you can check. With that stance its better to avoid the kick and slide in with the weight being a bit forward. The more bladed stance though is an issue, lots of lateral movement is going to be needed.

There's the judging system too. You could light a guy up while being on the ropes and still possibly lose in MT.

Keep in mind, I'm not looking to compete. Just trying to become really skilled at those disciplines while getting myself into really good shape.

What do you mean by KB? Kickboxing? I was planning on supplementing my Muay Thai with boxing, I'm just afraid that my Striking won't be as good as it could be because I'll be rolling 4x a week? Any thoughts?

Case in point, for me a truly great striker and someone I would try to emulate within the confines of MMA would be Albert Tumenov, if I wanted to develop a skill set like him (plus a ground game) what should my schedule look like?

Nothing wrong with it if you can check. With that stance its better to avoid the kick and slide in with the weight being a bit forward. The more bladed stance though is an issue, lots of lateral movement is going to be needed.

There's the judging system too. You could light a guy up while being on the ropes and still possibly lose in MT.

What about MMA judging? Are punches and kicks valued equally?

Also any training programs that would compliment this schedule would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind, I'm not looking to compete. Just trying to become really skilled at those disciplines while getting myself into really good shape.

What do you mean by KB? Kickboxing? I was planning on supplementing my Muay Thai with boxing, I'm just afraid that my Striking won't be as good as it could be because I'll be rolling 4x a week? Any thoughts?

IMO this is not a realistic goal.

I don't think you can become really skilled without competing at least at some level.

If you're rolling 4x a week, I think you're find as far as fitness and self defence goes, I wouldn't overthink striking too much especially if you're not looking to compete, I'd give Muay Thai and boxing a go, and see how you feel. Keep in mind you probably won't have many noticeable results until a good way into your training. Muay Thai is fairly slow to pick up especially when compared to boxing

Also any training programs that would compliment this schedule would be greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head DDP Yoga and Convict Conditioning are good fitness programs that can go with more or less any type of sport. Any weight lifting routine with emphasis on compound lifts is good too.

Off the top of my head CrossFit and that DVD called "Insanity" are good fitness programs that can go with more or less any type of sport. Any weight lifting routine with emphasis on lots of reps with a 2.5kg pink plastic dumbbell is good too.

Fixed

Nah I don't agree, Insanity is good, but I'd recommend DDP Yoga over it because its based around calithenics and muscle strengthening exercises. Insanity will likely just burn you out doing the same sorta thing that you'll do in day to day training.

Definitely keep it in mind though, when I started out I thought the same, just be the best physically as I can while training hard.

As soon as I started competing, the camps really upped my skill to the next level, looking back, had I not done that, my skillset and conditioning would never even reach the point it is today.

KB is kickboxing.

Well there's only so much hours in a week you can do. I advise focusing on one primary, and having a bit of the other, its up to you. When you're more experienced, you can get away with more since you're more conditioned. For physical conditioning, focus on both low and high intensity work, both are needed as we use both energy systems. There's no one or the other.

But overall you'll find what your "style" is with time; My case, on paper I seemed like a good candidate as a BJJ'er (very flexible, strong hips and glutes) but actually its something completely intuitive for me. Same with kicking. For me wrestling, boxing, and clinch fighting comes much much more natural than kicking, and BJJ.

So only time will tell what you really are, maybe you're interested in striking, but could be a very natural wrestler-boxer

Nah I don't agree, Insanity is good, but I'd recommend DDP Yoga over it because its based around calithenics and muscle strengthening exercises. Insanity will likely just burn you out doing the same sorta thing that you'll do in day to day training.

<45>

Back