Men's NCAA Volleyball

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I may be the only one interested in this but I'll give it a shot and start a thread to see.

National Media Poll for 2/6/18
http://www.offtheblockblog.com/2018...ollege-mens-volleyball-national-media-poll-3/

1 Long Beach State 10-0 107 (8) 1
2 UCLA 10-1 102 (3) 2
3 Hawai’i 8-1 86 3
4 UC Irvine 10-2 75
5 Ohio State 7-2 66
6 Loyola 7-2 51 7
7 BYU 6-4 43 6
8 Lewis 6-3 29 8
9 Penn State 5-2 21 9
10 Grand Canyon 10-2 13 10

------------------------------------
Long Beach hasn't really played anyone good yet. They have looked really good against mediocre teams. They play UCLA on 2/17(home) and 2/21 (at UCLA). That will be a big test to see if they deserve the number 1 spot.

UCLA has improved a lot from the start of the season. The thing with them is they gamble with their serving. They are okay with a lot of service errors as long as they get some aces and make teams get out of system. It is a risky system if they have a bad serving night. The other big question is Arnitz. He was a considered the best high school player when he went to UCLA was on the All American freshman team and all American his sophomore and junior years but there is something really wrong with his game this year. They will need him to perform at a higher level than he has to win a NCAA championship. I don't see them winning with two small outsides. Daenan Gyimah is the best middle in the college game right now. He still isn't as skilled as some but his athleticism is off the charts. When he gets his serve going, it really can give UCLA a big advantage. He was the difference maker in the UCLA vs UCI last week.

Hawaii is very solid. The split with UCLA in their two matches giving UCLA their only loss. They have a huge advantage this season where all the top teams have to travel to play them at home. And they have a good amount of support for their home games. They don't really have any big holes. I am looking forward to seeing their two matches against UCI on Feb 23 and Feb 25.

UCI can compete but I think they are a stop behind UCLA, Hawaii and Long Beach State. They took UCLA at UCLA to 5 sets losing 14-16. They are young and have an outstanding sophomore middle and probably the best freshman this year in college at outside. If they can stay healthy, they should be a wildcard to the NCAA tournament. But two losses to UCLA, they have to hope UCLA wins their conference and they don't have to compete for the wildcard vs UCLA. Big matches coming against Long Beach State on February 23 and February 25th.

Ohio State doesn't look as good as the last two seasons. They were the NCAA Champions in 2016 and 2017. Unless they get going they aren't going to win it in 2018.

I was in Hawaii last month and my buddy had tickets. Wanted to go but had prior commitments.

When I was in Penn State, the volleyball practiced in the same facility the students worked out in for exercise. They did not have any dedicated facilities. Well they did have a private weight room they shared with other athletes. Anyways, those guys are tall mudder suckas. Even the guy that stands in the back and digs is taller than the average American man.

I am surprised schools away from the coasts have good teams. I surprised Florida have no good teams.

I may be the only one interested in this but I'll give it a shot and start a thread to see.

National Media Poll for 2/6/18
http://www.offtheblockblog.com/2018...ollege-mens-volleyball-national-media-poll-3/

1 Long Beach State 10-0 107 (8) 1
2 UCLA 10-1 102 (3) 2
3 Hawai’i 8-1 86 3
4 UC Irvine 10-2 75
5 Ohio State 7-2 66
6 Loyola 7-2 51 7
7 BYU 6-4 43 6
8 Lewis 6-3 29 8
9 Penn State 5-2 21 9
10 Grand Canyon 10-2 13 10

------------------------------------
Long Beach hasn't really played anyone good yet. They have looked really good against mediocre teams. They play UCLA on 2/17(home) and 2/21 (at UCLA). That will be a big test to see if they deserve the number 1 spot.

UCLA has improved a lot from the start of the season. The thing with them is they gamble with their serving. They are okay with a lot of service errors as long as they get some aces and make teams get out of system. It is a risky system if they have a bad serving night. The other big question is Arnitz. He was a considered the best high school player when he went to UCLA was on the All American freshman team and all American his sophomore and junior years but there is something really wrong with his game this year. They will need him to perform at a higher level than he has to win a NCAA championship. I don't see them winning with two small outsides. Daenan Gyimah is the best middle in the college game right now. He still isn't as skilled as some but his athleticism is off the charts. When he gets his serve going, it really can give UCLA a big advantage. He was the difference maker in the UCLA vs UCI last week.

Hawaii is very solid. The split with UCLA in their two matches giving UCLA their only loss. They have a huge advantage this season where all the top teams have to travel to play them at home. And they have a good amount of support for their home games. They don't really have any big holes. I am looking forward to seeing their two matches against UCI on Feb 23 and Feb 25.

UCI can compete but I think they are a stop behind UCLA, Hawaii and Long Beach State. They took UCLA at UCLA to 5 sets losing 14-16. They are young and have an outstanding sophomore middle and probably the best freshman this year in college at outside. If they can stay healthy, they should be a wildcard to the NCAA tournament. But two losses to UCLA, they have to hope UCLA wins their conference and they don't have to compete for the wildcard vs UCLA. Big matches coming against Long Beach State on February 23 and February 25th.

Ohio State doesn't look as good as the last two seasons. They were the NCAA Champions in 2016 and 2017. Unless they get going they aren't going to win it in 2018.
faUXjlgDKnkUVNY-1600x900-noPad.jpg

<{cruzshake}>

abacd4417b4d892fd46fcd5623bac2c3.jpg

<{jackyeah}>

I am surprised schools away from the coasts have good teams. I surprised Florida have no good teams.

Penn State won the championship in 2008.

Ohio State won the championship the past two years. And Loyola Chicago the two years before that.

However, the past championship teams have generally come from the West Coast and BYU.

I follow CIS Volleyball a ton....

McMaster beat OSU 2 years ina row...our top 5 teams can compete with top 5 NCAA.

Good sports to watch loved it.

The 2/13 media poll

1 Long Beach State 12-0 106 (7) 1 —
2 UCLA 12-1 103 (4) 2 —
3 Hawai’i 8-1 86 3 —
4 UC Irvine 10-2 74 4 —
5 Ohio State 9-2 69 5 —
6 Loyola 9-2 51 6 —
7 BYU 8-4 44 7 —
8 Lewis 8-3 34 8 —
9 Penn State 6-2 16 9 —
10 Grand Canyon 11-3 12 10 —

UCLA plays Long Beach this week at Long Beach and then at UCLA. Should make for some good matches.

I plaued CIS volleyball for 2 years...on a bad squad...but eh! Was designated server 1st year and libero 2nd year before I moved to beach vball...
played 2 National Championship in beach under 21..ranking 22 and 14th loll... nothing exceptionnal!

Any stream avilable for NCAA?

I plaued CIS volleyball for 2 years...on a bad squad...but eh! Was designated server 1st year and libero 2nd year before I moved to beach vball...
played 2 National Championship in beach under 21..ranking 22 and 14th loll... nothing exceptionnal!

Mang how tall are you?

5.10 Nothing special...I touched 2.93 at max...

I had incredible ball control and great technique... started at 6 years old...

I was a decent player nothing more lol ... My CIS team was equivalent of Division 2 in USA.

I

Most of the teams that are good have their matches streamed online. I haven't seen where match on Saturday that features Long Beach State (#1) vs UCLA (#2) is going top be streamed yet.

I hope it isn't on the Pac 12 network. I don't get that channel. Damn you Direct TV. Since it is at Long Beach State I think it will be streamed on another service.

Here is a preview of the match where guys compare the players.

http://www.offtheblockblog.com/2018...king-down-no-1-long-beach-state-vs-no-2-ucla/

In my opinion there are five players that stand out in this match. In no particular order:

UCLA setter Ma'a. He can do it all. He is the best overall volleyball player in NCAA volleyball right now imo. His size probably won't allow him to play internationally. The club team he won the national titles in club volleyball every year from when he was 14 to 18s.

UCLA middle Daenan Gyimah. Best athlete in NCAA volleyball. He is from Canada. If given a good set no one can touch him. He leaps out of the gym. When his serve is on, UCLA can go on runs. His blocking still can improve but he has gained a lot more skills from his freshman year. He is a sophomore this year.

Long Beach State Outside TJ DeFalco. He was training with the US national team his senior year of high school. He has all the shots and is a good passer. People talk about him being a great US player in the future. The one downside with him is he has bad body language when things are going poorly and doesn't do a good job to uplift his team.

Long Beach State opposite Kyle Ensing. He is really a strong player. He can open up the court.

Long Beach State setter Josh Tuaniga - He has played with Delfalco since they were really young. In 2015 they both were on one of the best high school teams in the last say 10 years. You never know where he is going with the ball.

Should be a good match.

5.10 Nothing special...I touched 2.93 at max...

I had incredible ball control and great technique... started at 6 years old...

I was a decent player nothing more lol ... My CIS team was equivalent of Division 2 in USA.

CAn you spike on standard net height for volleyball? I cant even jump high enough to do that. I have to play on kiddie size nets.

Yeah I can spike easily... I don't hit 3 meters But I can hit line and diagonal with decent power...

I was intelligent so I used the block a ton at lower level...but in CIS I was libero so not much spiking lol...and in Beach Volley meh..I was placing most of my shots...

I used to do crazy floater 5-6 meters behind service line:

I had a decent spin sered...

I praticed my service 3-4 hours a week lol... take 30-40 balls and aim @ target etc...

I stopped playing at 23.... played it too long. Ill watch UCLA as I now the Canadian kid a bit...saw him at under 16-17 nationals

Long Beach state wins 3-1. The place was sold out. UCLA gambles with their serving and it did not payoff. They had too many service errors.

The Liberian for Long Beach state played great along with the their main three guys mentioned above.

Watched it.

Our canadian middle hitting is world-class!!!
I was really not impressed by UCLA strong-side hitter...1 of them was good..the senior guy was quite avg for that level.
Ma'a is an amazing athlete...try a bit too much sometime but he has elite tools...need to work mentally on his distribution.

Long Beach was more solid all-around... was a great game to watch

UCLA outside hitters both were not good in this match. Hatch was struggling with his serve. Missry who is usually solid had a really bad night. He couldn't get a kill. They should have gone with Arnitz earlier.

Arnitz is having a bad year, but he couldn't have been much worse than Missry. The past two years Arnitz was second team All American but hasn't returned to that form yet this year. His confidence looks to be shot and letting a guy who was having a terrible night keep playing ahead of him isn't going to help with Arnitz's confidence.

Long Beach won the serve battle. They had 14 service errors compared to 25 for UCLA and Long Beach State serves put UCLA out of system a lot. UCLA really struggled to with Tuaniga's (Long Beach State's setter) serve.

TJ Defalco looked really good. He is starting to live up to the hype.

They play each other again on Wednesday at UCLA. It will interesting to see how the teams make adjustments for the rematch.

Nice, ill watch it if it's stream.

Ill give you USPORTS link for Quebec Varsity final and USPORTS National championship where the top 4-5 teams are as good as top NCAA team.

Mcmaster has beatean OSU 2 years in a row in exhibition and our top programs are comparable.

#1 Long Beach State defeated #2 UCLA again last night 3-1. This time at UCLA. Both teams played better in a competitive match.

UCLA made a lot more serves and made Long Beach State work for the win. Long Beach State established themselves as the team to beat this year. They are really good. UCLA is was looking for a second outside hitter to be able to put down some kills. They didn't find one last night.

Back