Men's NCAA Volleyball

Looks like the Long Beach State vs UCLA game is going to be streamed here at 7:00 California time.

http://bigwest.sidearmstreaming.com/watch/?Live=770

Couple pictures of Gyimah from the UC Irvine vs UCLA Match. I think he can get above the net to spike it.

Qgymq

Look at those ups. Who tall is the spiker in those pics?

Yeah I can spike easily... I don't hit 3 meters But I can hit line and diagonal with decent power...

I was intelligent so I used the block a ton at lower level...but in CIS I was libero so not much spiking lol...and in Beach Volley meh..I was placing most of my shots...

I used to do crazy floater 5-6 meters behind service line:

I had a decent spin sered...

I praticed my service 3-4 hours a week lol... take 30-40 balls and aim @ target etc...

I stopped playing at 23.... played it too long. Ill watch UCLA as I now the Canadian kid a bit...saw him at under 16-17 nationals

I wish I can spike. But I have these Trex arms. However I still tried to play as much volleyball as I could in PE, or college recreationally as I could. I thought by jumping a lot, I will get taller LOLZ.

Are these high level volleyball players all basketball players who could not make the cut in basketball?

Are these high level volleyball players all basketball players who could not make the cut in basketball?

There is a good amount of cross over and it is easier to get a partial scholarship in volleyball than a full scholarship in basketball.

From two local high schools there are three guys who play basketball on their high school teams right now who will be playing for club volleyball teams that will be going for the 18 year old championships at nationals.

When one of my nephews was in high school, he and three other guys played both basketball and volleyball and the teams for both sports made it to the high school championships for Southern California. All four went to play volleyball in college.

Most of the top guys stick with volleyball. The top club youth teams play from September to July and have a break during the high school volleyball season. They don't have a lot of time to play basketball.

Thinking about it some more...two promising players from two years ago 16 year old teams....

One signed to play Div 1 basketball in college.
One signed to play football at Cal. You don't see that too often. Mike Ditka's grandson is a freshman on the UCLA volleyball team.

This kid could have played basketball in college but choose volleyball. His volleyball club team won at nationals the past 3 years for their age division and they are going for a fourth title in 18s this year. His club teammate's father played basketball at Stanford.

Two interesting matches tonight

7:00 California Time - https://watchstadium.com/live/ucla-at-pepperdine-2/
#2 UCLA vs #10 Pepperdine. Pepperdine started the season off slowly with some of their top players injured. They have their team healthy now and beat UCI last week. UCLA is coming off two losses to Long Beach State. The UCLA coach sounded very frustrated with the losses. I am curious if he tries to switch up the line up to try to get someone new a chance to play outside 2.

#3 Hawaii vs #5 UCI at 8:30 California Time.
http://bigwest.sidearmstreaming.com/watch/?Live=688
They play again on Sunday. If Hawaii splits, I think they move to number 2. Should be a good competitive match. UCI is coming off a loss to Pepperdine where they look uninspired.

Ill watch the Hawaii game. thanks for the stream

If you can post them there:) when it's top 10 match-up.

Pepperdine swept UCLA 3-0. Ucla was playing with a senior starter and tried different lineups to fill that position. The third set they went with Gyimah their best Liddle playing right side. It did not work. Pepperdine is good now that they are healthy.

Hawaii beat UCI 3-1. Hawaii came out and pretty easily won the first set. Uci looked like the better team in set two. Set three was back and forth and Hawaii took it. Hawaii was on fire and no college team would have beat Hawaii in the fourth set. Hawaii plays with three guys who played youth club volleyball together and they won a national title in the 18 year old division 3 years ago. Hawaii only plays with one senior, senior Libero Larry tiuleta who had a great match.

Tuileta was part of a legendary youth club team where they won nationals each year when they were in the 14 15 16 and 17 year old divisions. He tried to Football as a quarterback and volleyball at usc but it did not work out so he went back to Hawaii.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ALsp0rts

College D1 Quebec final at 17h30 pm est.

Limoilou who are ranked top 3 in Under 20 in Canada often vs St-Jean who has an amazing athlethe. Black kid 1st year colleged player.

Not the best Volleyball but decent stuff.

Uc irvine plays Hawaii again tonight at 7:00 California time. There is a pregame show that starts earlier. The always do a good job with the production for the coverage of the Hawaii home games.
http://bigwest.sidearmstreaming.com/watch/?Live=689

Hawaii’s Libero tulileta is missed at usc. They are 4-12 for the year and lost to Grand Canyon last night. usc best player is a guy who gave up indoor volleyball for two years and decided to come back. They are having a rough year.

Gunners, I think the link is the wrong link

@jeffk

Best level I started and was good in is that. Played varsity but was not good @ that level:(

Ill try to watch UC Irvine-Hawaii.

Wacthed Pepperdine vs UCLA... Not sure I liked UCLA setter...more flash than pan...not using his middle enoguht for my taste

UC Irvine beat Hawaii 3-1. Hawaii started off like game 4 on Friday night. They were digging everything UC Irvine threw at them. UC Irvine came out hot in the 2nd set and Hawaii's defense was completely ineffective. UC Irvine opposite could not be stopped. Set 4 Hawaii made some costly errors right after they started getting some momentum. That killed it and lead to the loss.

https://www.avca.org/polls/dii-men/2-26-2018.html
New rankings as of 2/26/18

1 Long Beach State (25) 14-0 Last week - 1
2 Hawai'i Last week 3
3 UCLA Last week -2
4 UC Irvine Last week - 5
5 BYU Last week - 6
6 Loyola-Chicago last week - 8
7 Lewis Last week - 9
8 Pepperdine Last week 10
9 Ohio State last week 4
10 Penn State Last week 7

I am surprised Pepperdine didn't move up higher after beating UCLA and UC Irvine. They are 9-3 but had a number of injuries at the start of the season.
Long Beach State is the team beat this year. Unless they face an injury, they are going to be the clear favorite to win the NCAA Tournament. Last year they looked good all season and choked in the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:
I liked what I saw from Pepperdine against UCLA.

Love this caliber of play.
funny that McMaster beat LBSU 3-1 and 3-2 in dcember...

McMaster is not ranked 9 in Canada right now...

big difference betwee USPORT is DEPHT and quality of centers.

Those matches between McMaster and Long Beach State were before the season began for US teams and was mid-season for McMaster. It would be more interesting to see how they would play against each other now.

The US teams also have a weird schedule were they play all fall and take about a month off right before the season begins. I have no idea why they do that. At the beginning of the season, teams are often out of sync.

Still McMaster must be a good team.

Yeah I know the differnec ein schedule

QUEBEC Final right now

go Montreal!

I wonder if this guy focussed on basketball how good he could have been. He is only a part time basketball player during basketball season unlike guys who play all year on club teams.

Current rankings as of March 27

1 Long Beach State 19-0
2 BYU 18-4
3 UCLA 19-5
4 UC Irvine 16-5
5 Loyola 17-4
6 Pepperdine 13-6
T-7 Hawai’i 13-6
T-7 Ohio State 15-4
9 Lewis 14-8
10 CSUN

Hawaii is in a major slump. Pepperdine has had some bad matches. It will be really interesting to see who wins the conference tournaments and who will get one of the two wildcards.

I cannot think of any teams from Florida playing in the men's division for NCAA Div 1 or 2. That is kind of interesting because Florida usually has good club teams competing at nationals.

I can think of 4 -

352 Elite (they were favored to win the 14 year old division last year but how things worked out they were upset by the two teams that made the finals and 352 ended up 5th.

Ocean Bay - they usually have a good open 18 year old team compete each year at nationals.

Orlando Gold usually sends a competitive team in the open divisions.

MVP Academy usually qualify for nationals but are not usually the top tier as far as I remember.

With 4 club teams competing at the national level I would have thought a Florida school would form a team and be able to recruit local kids.

Back