Merged Religous Debate Threads

let us assume that god is all powerful and benevolent. on that, god would also be a good creature who does good works.
if god wrote the bible, then the bible would contain only good works.
that leaves us with the only versions of the bible we have in our possession in modern times.
the bible is filled with stories of hate and iniquity, it is however also filled with stories of benevolence and kindness.
where does this leave us?

god wrote the bible but man has changed it

god wrote the bible and is not who we believed he was

man wrote the bible, perhaps with a little help from above

and #4, that god wrote the bible in fact and included everything for a reason. to determine who could judge right from wrong for the right reasons... in this case it doesnt matter whether god wrote it himself or allowed man to write it incorrectly in his stead

i refuse to accept #2.
#1,#3 and #4 are the only options left and all involve man. say it with me, man is corruptible. if you believe in a benevolent god, that proves the existence of the devil. when there is hot, there is cold. when there is something, there can be nothing as well. right and wrong, left and right. bla bla bla bla.
we cannot determine what part god had in the bible. that is impossible and would require a direct action from god to tell us. until that happens we must act on our own god given logic.
since i refuse to accept #2, i must believe that god is benevolent and that he wishes us to be in his image (ie benevolent). if that is the case, then the only parts of the bible that i can accept are parts that speak of forgiveness and kindness.
i also believe that we are judged only by god and god only. so for man to tell me what is right and what is wrong must be taken with the utmost care. i cannot accept that if joe schmoe says sex before marriage is a sin just because he said the bible said so. i already know who wrote the bible. i must look deeper. i already pointed in my previous post what the deeper questioning provided.
so if god is the only judge then any passage in the bible that says something is absolutely evil is suspect since god is the only judge. again, when one reads a passage in the bible that says "god says this" you must not confuse man putting words in god's mouth.
if one takes the bible as their reference to living a good life, they must do so with the utmost caution and remove all faith in man from the equation. faith in god and his benevolence is different than faith in the bible.
do you believe in god? or do you believe in the bible?

this is why i am agnostic. for all i know i could entirely wrong and someday i may find myself in the halls of valhalla with a no vacancy sign.

death and the afterlife scare me deeply, but i am not willing to throw my chances of heaven into the hands of corrupt men with bibles, not that easily.
Again, first of all the Bible in one facet is a book of history. Many of the stories do record incidents of hate and iniquity. I believe they were put their too help us understand our heritage, God and his views on various issues, not to promote hatrid and iniquity.

I'm guessing you've read something implying a certain scripture(s) promotes something evil and thus their is this contradiction to the Bible. This is a common pot shot atheists take at the Bible to attempt to discredit it. It's usually a matter of scripture they take out of context. It's difficult to categorize the errancy of interpretation without a specific example.

To answer your questions I believe in God and I believe the Bible. You have every right to and should question every man waving a Bible. There are numerous fakes and frauds out there. In time their hypocrisy is usually revealed. We see it in the news every year. Knowing the word of God from the Bible gives you the discernment to sort it out.

:rolleyes:
One entity interacting with us in three distinct ways. Next.

That's not the trinity doctrine at all.

"In Christianity, Trinity is the doctrine that God is one being who exists, simultaneously and eternally, as a mutual indwelling of three persons (not to be confused by "person"): the Father, the Son (incarnate as Jesus of Nazareth), and the Holy Spirit. Since the 4th century, in both Eastern and Western Christianity, this doctrine has been stated as "three persons in one God," all three of whom, as distinct and co-eternal persons, are of one indivisible Divine essence, a simple being. The doctrine also teaches that the Son Himself has two distinct natures, one fully divine and the other fully human. Supporting the doctrine of the Trinity is known as Trinitarianism. The majority of Christians are Trinitarian, and regard belief in the Trinity as a test of Christian orthodoxy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

the minute you give me 3 different beings, then my logical proof follows. You do understand the logic, don't you?

So the trinity is something Christians invented 4th century? Does that not bother you that something so cornerstone to your religion is not even mentioned in the Bible?

i've never seen this side of jesus, and frankly it scares me

jesus-angry.jpg

One day you will be sorry of your mockery when you are kneeling at Jesus's feet.

i wasn't mocking him, im seriously frightened. the fact that the son of god would raise his hand in anger at another person terrifies me

That's what money changers get in the temple of God. Better a little angry from Jesus than suffering forever in the lake of fire.

Uh oh. Randy didn't like someone's joke.

Randy, did you know that joke is a direct quote from southpark?

South Park is a cartoon made for adolesent adults that live in a fantasy world and have trouble adjusting to reality. That you know quotes from a show like that explains a lot about you Chris.

Back