Merging Western boxing and Tai-Chi form

I went through the article and to me it seems plausible, in practice it would help if you could actually find someone to drill the ideas out with you.

http://www.jadedragon.com/articles/illusive.html

As an individual with many years of study individually in modern martial arts (bjj, mt, mma), psychology, and eastern philosophy, I find this entirely plausible. Things like internal martial arts tend to deal heavily with how you relate both physically and psychologically to yourself and your potential opponent, and it is in this methodology that their great value lies. People tend to react to anything TMA as though it's advertising unheard of techniques that will beat all the common ones used in modern combat sports. The majority of effective fighting techniques are already utilized in mma and have been for sometime. When fighters blow up the scene with their innovative fighting styles; people like Cung Le, Lyoto Machida, and Ronda Rousey, it's not that they're using techniques we haven't scene before, it's that they're stringing together those techniques in a way that is unusual and highly effective. From skimming the article, that seems to be the approach that the author is taking, and it's one that that I strongly support. That being said, I suspect this is one of the few positive responses you will get in this forum...

Last edited:
Its very well possible, a prime example is a member of this very forum, Mr Nuclearlandmine. He has sucessfully merged the two styles seamlessly, a true work of art I must say :D....

Last edited:
Wilson Pitts and Lyte Burley are both students of boxing and Tai Chi, particularly Bagua. It's definitely doable, and Wilson, a very intelligent guy, would tell you that the two make an excellent combination. In fact, here's a cool video for you explaining some of Willie Pep's boxing through the lens of Tai Chi. Wilson made this.

Edit: By the way TS, is your name a reference to the Book of the New Sun? If so, bravo. Terminus est.

Last edited:
Wilson Pitts and Lyte Burley are both students of boxing and Tai Chi, particularly Bagua. It's definitely doable, and Wilson, a very intelligent guy, would tell you that the two make an excellent combination. In fact, here's a cool video for you explaining some of Willie Pep's boxing through the lens of Tai Chi. Wilson made this.

Edit: By the way TS, is your name a reference to the Book of the New Sun? If so, bravo. Terminus est.

Thanks for the input. Those old school fights were dirty and vigorous that's for sure. It seems so far out of bounds from modern fight sports watching them jump around like that, good reference points with commentary and I've actually used a couple of the ideas they show myself. :icon_chee

The nick is a reference to the origin word Carnifex - Latin for executioner

Cool. Somebody else with a pretentious Latin screen name!

I bumped another thread for you, as well, which compares boxing and Baguazhang footwork. Might be some interesting stuff in there for you.

lol, no it actually has personal resonance with me. Plus I like the band. I catch a lot of flack being who I am, might as well play the part is all.

lol, no it actually has personal resonance with me. Plus I like the band. I catch a lot of flack being who I am, might as well play the part is all.

Yeah, I get that. I didn't mean to mock your name or anything. I was just poking fun at my own screen name.

It is great that some combat arts are combined with Tai Chi Chuan.

I myself studied Kyokushinkai Karate and Tai Chi Chuan. I believe the intense martial arts combined with the internal ones like Tai Chi can result in a great balance within mind, body, spirit

I'm a certified Tai Chi instructor (William CC Chen lineage), and it definitely helps my boxing. It's very useful for power generation, body structure, and the push hands really does help your inside fighting a lot. I'm very sensitive to how people are moving in the clinch, it makes defense and finding openings much easier.

Back