Messinga round - spinning hook kick on heavy bag.

Replay19

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need some pointers if possible on my kicks. Been working it for a while now and recently just learned how to put some power behind the torque on the heavy bag. it took a long time to get even to this level for me, I'm a slow learner but I'd like some feedback if possible. I threw in some combinations just to mess around but I didnt practice those at all it was all in the spur of the moment. let me know what you think, thanks.

the heavy bag is similar to LA fitness type of big banana bag.. which is about 100 lbs. this thing isn't easy to hit and move around, but with good technique and snap it'll snap and shake internally instead of being pushed around.

http://sendvid.com/fumfbxlq

You need to chamber your leg before you snap it out for the hook, at the last moment. ATM you're swinging it around wide like a baseball bat. Think more like you're casting out a fishing rod.

EDIT: I had a look again, and if you spend most of your time practicing the kick on the heavy bag, I can see why you would start swinging it out wide: to generate more power. But the problem with this is that it's not a spinning hook any more, and the kick is also very telegraphed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! So please help me with the chamber. I've seen many people say you're supposed to assume a sidekick chamber, but I've also seen people come from a more 45 degree chamber. Which chamber should I use and when? Some people even said just bring the knee up like a front kick but idk

First, step away from the heavy bag. As noted above, trying to learn from scratch on the heavy bag will lead to bad habits and you also don't learn the proper balance & mechanics of the kick since the bag stops you dead halfway through. Get everything correct in free space first, then start working the bag if you want.

Step 1, practice the standard non-spinning hook kick until you can do it consistently with good form & balance

Then go through the stance progression shown in this video until you have the full spin

Trying to do everything at once will lead to a bad case of overload as you're trying to juggle spin, balance, chamber, timing, and all that other fun stuff. Start from the beginning. Get a good hook kick down. Then work through step by step until you have the full spin.

Thanks for the advice! So please help me with the chamber. I've seen many people say you're supposed to assume a sidekick chamber, but I've also seen people come from a more 45 degree chamber. Which chamber should I use and when? Some people even said just bring the knee up like a front kick but idk

I learned a sidekick chamber but tbh I think there is some leeway in the angle because it's not a thrusting type of kick.

But like the other poster said - if you're not sure of the mechanics of even your chambering action, you're not ready to add the spin. Work on your basic hook first. Learn to walk before you run.

Back