Metal Gear Solid V: Am I missing something??

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So I bought the definitive edition. After seeing credits after playing ground zero for 30 minutes I was confused so I played it over again and then looked it up and saw that that was essentially it. So I moved to the main story. Im about 6 hours in. I gotta say I hate everything about this game from the controls, to the story(?),to the sloppy stealth, to the monotonous setting. Am I missing something??????????? I really wanted to like this game so someone please sell me on it.

Is it just really taking down a bunch of outposts with no coherent mission?

So I shoot people with a machine gun but they don't die before I give them a 6 year old girl soccer player level kick to the head?

Last edited:
What was wrong with the controls? They weren't bad. You want screwy controls? Try MGS1 or 2.

In V, you kidnap enemy soldiers and persuade them via brig time to work for you in your mother base developing stuff. You can steal tanks, robot walkers, etc. via Fultoning them, but only after you develop the higher level Fulton doohickys.

You can do optional missions to accomplish a task and also steal resources in those cargo containers or steal tanks that you can deploy and use in missions by riding inside them. You can use long range sniper rifles, but if you kill too many bad guys, you will have permanent red stains and I think that will hinder your performance somehow like via speed, health regeneration or something. If you rescue stray animals and humans, you can get rid of the red stains if not too late.

Online, you can play Event FOB raids against CPU FOBs where you get points redeemable for higher ranking staff like S++. You also have offline combat deployment where you send away some staff for like a day and a half and when they are done, some may have gotten killed/injured but you get whatever reward that challenge offered. There are also something like autopilot battles behind the scenes based on your team's offense and defense rating vs. other players and you also accumulate points redeemable for resources or S++ staff.

If you stick with story mode, there are missions and they do tie together to tell a story. If you skip the cutscenes, of course it'll seem incoherent.

There are sidekicks you can choose from like Quiet the elite sniper, doggie, horse, robot walker that can eventually use guns, flamethrower, etc. if you develop them.

The screwy thing is you need to gather resources like plants or cargo containers, but if you do online FOB events, you'll get so many resources you won't need to worry. Otherwise, you'll need to gather blue plants, etc. in order to have ammo for your guns or grenades.

So I shoot people with a machine gun but they don't die before I give them a 6 year old girl soccer player level kick to the head?
Were you using the ZZZ tranquilizer gun/rifle or regular bullets? Were the enemy wearing heavy armor or helmet? These things matter. You're not going to kill someone via head kick. Likely he was KO'd to wake up later. You can throw enemies off high places and those don't count as kills re: red stains. Certain high level powerful sniper rifles can one shot the enemy even if they are wearing helmets, I think.

You can also roll out with Quiet and have her use either nonlethal or lethal rifle and in the missions, you can tell her to go to a place on the map and whack everyone in advance of you getting there. You can also have her scout and she'll mark the bad guys on your map. The dog can sorta mark enemies on the map, but they are temporarily marked only.

If you run out of ammo and can't find any around, you can call for a drop box wherever you want and can also switch to a weapon you didn't roll out with. You can even call a supply drop to drop on the head of an enemy, but keep in mind these cost money just like other helicopter use.

Last edited:
What was wrong with the controls? They weren't bad. You want screwy controls? Try MGS1 or 2.

In V, you kidnap enemy soldiers and persuade them via brig time to work for you in your mother base developing stuff. You can steal tanks, robot walkers, etc. via Fultoning them, but only after you develop the higher level Fulton doohickys.

You can do optional missions to accomplish a task and also steal resources in those cargo containers or steal tanks that you can deploy and use in missions by riding inside them. You can use long range sniper rifles, but if you kill too many bad guys, you will have permanent red stains and I think that will hinder your performance somehow like via speed, health regeneration or something. If you rescue stray animals and humans, you can get rid of the red stains if not too late.

Online, you can play Event FOB raids against CPU FOBs where you get points redeemable for higher ranking staff like S++. You also have offline combat deployment where you send away some staff for like a day and a half and when they are done, some may have gotten killed/injured but you get whatever reward that challenge offered. There are also something like autopilot battles behind the scenes based on your team's offense and defense rating vs. other players and you also accumulate points redeemable for resources or S++ staff.

If you stick with story mode, there are missions and they do tie together to tell a story. If you skip the cutscenes, of course it'll seem incoherent.

There are sidekicks you can choose from like Quiet the elite sniper, doggie, horse, robot walker that can eventually use guns, flamethrower, etc. if you develop them.

The screwy thing is you need to gather resources like plants or cargo containers, but if you do online FOB events, you'll get so many resources you won't need to worry. Otherwise, you'll need to gather blue plants, etc. in order to have ammo for your guns or grenades.

Were you using the ZZZ tranquilizer gun/rifle or regular bullets? Were the enemy wearing heavy armor or helmet? These things matter. You're not going to kill someone via head kick. Likely he was KO'd to wake up later. You can throw enemies off high places and those don't count as kills re: red stains. Certain high level powerful sniper rifles can one shot the enemy even if they are wearing helmets, I think.

As far as the controls I meant the buttons were not what I was used to I guess which isn't the games fault (I'd dive when trying to climb...etc for some reason I couldn't get used to them).

As far as shooting the enemies. No I was using the machine gun .shoot them twn times, they pull out a pistol and start shooting from the ground, kick em, and they fall off the radar.

I should have said ive only played single player.

I'm enjoying it don't get me wrong. I bought it for $15 bucks. But after seeing g the stuff about ground zero and all the 10/10 reviews I thought I might be doing something wrong

One thing I will say is the difficulty is perfect

As far as the controls I meant the buttons were not what I was used to I guess which isn't the games fault (I'd dive when trying to climb...etc for some reason I couldn't get used to them).

As far as shooting the enemies. No I was using the machine gun .shoot them twn times, they pull out a pistol and start shooting from the ground, kick em, and they fall off the radar.

I should have said ive only played single player.

I'm enjoying it don't get me wrong. I bought it for $15 bucks. But after seeing g the stuff about ground zero and all the 10/10 reviews I thought I might be doing something wrong
Ground Zeroes was only like a paid sampler. The Phantom Pain is the full game. The staff you can get from GZ (that you can carryover to TPP via data) aren't really high ranked and will soon be replaced by higher ranked staff in TPP.

MGS is a stealth game, so for the most part, you sneak around and tranq the enemy and pick them up and throw them somewhere where the other enemies won't see them and sound the alert. Some of the gun fights are really gruelling and you will run out of ammo and your sidekick will take too much damage where she will get pulled out and you're stuck by yourself.

Also, if you come across an orange platform with like a bus stop sign, grab the sign and you'll be able to teleport to that spot from another orange platform which means if you hide under a cardboard box you brought with you, a truck will come and put you on the truck and drop you off at the bus stop of your choosing. You can only travel like this if the base you're at isn't on alert status.

I mostly use the tranq handgun and tranq or lethal sniper rifle. I rarely use the machine guns, but do roll out with assault rifle customized to also have a grenade launcher underneath. You need to kidnap the weapons expert in order to be able to customize your weapons. This matters since you can only bring a certain # of weapons to each mission, so an assault rifle + grenade launcher comes in handy. Sleep grenades are also good to bring.

holy crap. i didn't buy this because of the way they dicked kojima, and i know the game wasn't even really finished... but this sounds even lamer/worse than i realized. ffs, you can just make a NPC do everything? what's the point? why even play? to get upgrades for npcs to play the game for you even faster? haha

In the gameplay department, yeah, you might be missing something. To have any fun with it, you really have to embrace experimentation. If you don't, you'll just end up doing the same shit over and over, which will get monotonous. I'd suggest watching some videos online of really good players, just to get a feel for how robust the gameplay actually is, and the many different ways you can approach a mission, and fuck around with the world. It's a lot deeper than it seems, but it is up to you to take advantage of it. The game does a poor job of giving you any incentive to try new things. Fun is there, but you have to make your own.

As for the story, it sucks. It's part of the reason the game isn't particularly satisfying to play through. It's told mostly through audio logs, that you'll gradually collect, get bored listening to, and end up with a backlog of an hour of dialogue that you have to sit through just to get a grasp on what the hell is going on. It's the worst part of the game, and doesn't do anything to drive you forward.

So I bought the definitive edition. After seeing credits after playing ground zero for 30 minutes I was confused so I played it over again and then looked it up and saw that that was essentially it. So I moved to the main story. Im about 6 hours in. I gotta say I hate everything about this game from the controls, to the story(?),to the sloppy stealth, to the monotonous setting. Am I missing something??????????? I really wanted to like this game so someone please sell me on it.

Is it just really taking down a bunch of outposts with no coherent mission?

From a gameplay standpoint MGSV is one of the funnest games I've ever played. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but as others have pointed out, if you really are shooting guys in the head multiple times they will die. Pay attention to your weapons. Are you using tranqs, rubber bullets, or actual bullets? Are the guards wearing helmets or not? Pay attention. It matters.

Kicking them doesn't kill them, it only knocks them out.

Honestly, it just sounds like you don't know what you're doing yet. Keep playing. You'll figure it out.

P.S. Why are you trying to kill people? Have you ever played Metal Gear before? It's a stealth game, not a shooter game. The goal is to sneak, infiltrate, achieve your goal, and get out without ever being noticed. In every Metal Gear game, including this one, you actually lose points for killing enemies. Even hurting or killing animals will get you docked. You'll never see your point total, but you'll know your going the wrong direction on the scale because the horn (shrapnel) in Snake's head will get longer and longer. If you're a real cunt and just keep killing indiscriminately, Snake will eventually be stained in blood that can never be washed off no matter how many times you take a shower.

vTA31FZ.jpg

(Though you can earn points by rescuing animals, visiting them on the conservation platform, and rescuing children and hostages.)

P.S. Don't forget DD. If you don't know who he is, look it up on the internet and find him as soon as possible. He's the best companion in the game for a noob like you who isn't good at stealth yet. He'll sniff out every enemy before you ever see them and mark them on your map.

Avoid them, dickweed. Or choke them into unconsciousness. Stop killing them. Later you can fulton them up to your base. You'll need them.

Is this your first MGS game? They are not run and gun type games. You're supposed to approach them in a stealthy manner. Shooting a bunch of guys with machine guns is not nearly as effective as tranqing them and shipping them to your base. I had a blast playing through it until you get to the point where it's literally like WTF just happened. The game becomes completely disjointed, makes zero sense and just becomes replaying old missions on hard.

holy crap. i didn't buy this because of the way they dicked kojima, and i know the game wasn't even really finished... but this sounds even lamer/worse than i realized. ffs, you can just make a NPC do everything? what's the point? why even play? to get upgrades for npcs to play the game for you even faster? haha
In past MGS games, the enemy was automatically on your radar, I think. In this game, you either use your binoculars and manually mark each guy on the map to automatically have their movements tracked, or you ask your NPC sidekick to mark them so you can more easily sneak around. If the game was so lame, I doubt it would have sold so many copies.

Also, there's a bionic sonar arm where you punch the ground and the sonar waves give you an idea where the enemy is at that moment, but doesn't mark them on the map for you. If you're fast enough or they don't move somewhere else, you can mark them that way.

From a gameplay standpoint MGSV is one of the funnest games I've ever played. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but as others have pointed out, if you really are shooting guys in the head multiple times they will die. Pay attention to your weapons. Are you using tranqs, rubber bullets, or actual bullets? Are the guards wearing helmets or not? Pay attention. It matters.

Kicking them doesn't kill them, it only knocks them out.

Honestly, it just sounds like you don't know what you're doing yet. Keep playing. You'll figure it out.

P.S. Why are you trying to kill people? Have you ever played Metal Gear before? It's a stealth game, not a shooter game. The goal is to sneak, infiltrate, achieve your goal, and get out without ever being noticed. In every Metal Gear game, including this one, you actually lose points for killing enemies. Even hurting or killing animals will get you docked. You'll never see your point total, but you'll know your going the wrong direction on the scale because the horn (shrapnel) in Snake's head will get longer and longer. If you're a real cunt and just keep killing indiscriminately, Snake will eventually be stained in blood that can never be washed off no matter how many times you take a shower.

vTA31FZ.jpg

(Though you can earn points by rescuing animals, visiting them on the conservation platform, and rescuing children and hostages.)

P.S. Don't forget DD. If you don't know who he is, look it up on the internet and find him as soon as possible. He's the best companion in the game for a noob like you who isn't good at stealth yet. He'll sniff out every enemy before you ever see them and mark them on your map.

Avoid them, dickweed. Or choke them into unconsciousness. Stop killing them. Later you can fulton them up to your base. You'll need them.
I was looking for a stealth get as there aren't anymore Splinter Cell games. I just keep getting discovered in MGSV. I guess I'm just not very good

Is this your first MGS game? They are not run and gun type games. You're supposed to approach them in a stealthy manner. Shooting a bunch of guys with machine guns is not nearly as effective as tranqing them and shipping them to your base. I had a blast playing through it until you get to the point where it's literally like WTF just happened. The game becomes completely disjointed, makes zero sense and just becomes replaying old missions on hard.
No.

I was looking for a stealth get as there aren't anymore Splinter Cell games. I just keep getting discovered in MGSV. I guess I'm just not very good
You're supposed to mark the enemies first before you run around, or at least ask Quiet to mark them via Scout command. The walker, dog, horse aren't as good for marking since the marks disappear.

Also, if you shoot the security cameras, the enemies will investigate.

At some point, the Analyzer binoculars will tell you what rank the enemy is so you don't waste your Fulton ammo kidnapping lower ranked enemies.

In the gameplay department, yeah, you might be missing something. To have any fun with it, you really have to embrace experimentation. If you don't, you'll just end up doing the same shit over and over, which will get monotonous. I'd suggest watching some videos online of really good players, just to get a feel for how robust the gameplay actually is, and the many different ways you can approach a mission, and fuck around with the world. It's a lot deeper than it seems, but it is up to you to take advantage of it. The game does a poor job of giving you any incentive to try new things. Fun is there, but you have to make your own.

As for the story, it sucks. It's part of the reason the game isn't particularly satisfying to play through. It's told mostly through audio logs, that you'll gradually collect, get bored listening to, and end up with a backlog of an hour of dialogue that you have to sit through just to get a grasp on what the hell is going on. It's the worst part of the game, and doesn't do anything to drive you forward.

The story is good (in terms of a video game) if you're willing to play the audio tapes. It isn't great, but the voice acting, as usual, is top notch (again compared to most video games.) The last Paz tape is beyond good, especially for those who played Peace Walker. (Spoilers ahead, obviously.)

The final tape from "the Man Who Sold the World" was also excellent. The metaphor (I am you and you are me...) was great on many levels.

The game doesn't do a poor job of incentivizing you to do anything. Like the real world, the world of MGSV just doesn't give a shit. Or like the original Zelda game. They just drop you off and let you fend for yourself. Figure shit out on your own. That's the way games are supposed to be. Explore. Have fun.

Another powerful scene that occurs to me is the one where you have to take out your own men on mother base infected with the vocal cord parasite. You literally have no choice at that point but to kill them. Probably one of the most emotionally powerful pieces of gameplay I can recall. And fucking Huey there talking shit to you the whole time while you're doing it. What a fucking cunt.

"We Live and die by your orders, boss."

It's ok, man. Get DD. He'll make all the difference. Don't give up. It's a great game. Quiet is pretty rad, too.

You're supposed to mark the enemies first before you run around, or at least ask Quiet to mark them via Scout command. The walker, dog, horse aren't as good for marking since the marks disappear.

Also, if you shoot the security cameras, the enemies will investigate.

At some point, the Analyzer binoculars will tell you what rank the enemy is so you don't waste your Fulton ammo kidnapping lower ranked enemies.
I get all that. My question is if it is just a bunch of outposts missions

They have never disappeared after being marked with DD in all my experience with the game, and I use DD almost exclusively.

Quiet, on the other hand, usually fails to mark everyone, leaving you with a nasty surprise from time to time running up on some shithead you didn't have marked. DD marks everyone instinctively, without being told. And he doesn't need to be told not to go rogue and just start sniping people.

Yes, and no. There are outposts everywhere, but the mission isn't always to capture an outpost, though infiltrating them may be part of the mission. There are some missions where fighting and surviving is the only thing you have to do, but those are few and far between. There are other missions where you have to take someone out, find someone (or something), and so on. But you've got a lot of free reign on how to run those missions.

The stuff you are tasked to do tend to revolve around a different outpost, but if you also play the optional side missions, there are some where you must run around the map to kill armored vehicles while the clock is ticking or rescue some key figure before he gets executed. You're not necessarily limited to that one outpost. You can wander around elsewhere before going back to base. In the Africa area, I like to steal resources from the airport and teleport to the northern sewer plant to steal stuff too. You will need resources for ammo and for developing better stuff.

Back