Metal Gear Solid V: Am I missing something??

The side missions are almost identical to each other and made playing a chore after a while
Although I can’t bitch about repetitive gameplay, I somehow have 700 hours in MHW

Yeah that’s the thing. If the game is fun enough I think repetitive isn’t that big of a deal. It’s pretty subjective. I’m ok with doing the same type of thing over and over if it’s fun and to me MGSV was fun throughout the whole thing. I do think I may have skipped some of the side ones but I did just about all of them and never felt burnt out from them

It does do a poor job of incentivizing you. The mission variety is severely lacking, and never forces you outside of your comfort zone. You can beat 99% of them with the same approach, and most people will do just that, because why try anything else when you're getting by just sneaking and picking the baddies off? On top of that, the main missions have this arbitrary, yet incredibly annoying rating system that penalizes you for messing around with a good portion of the weaponry. Why would you even want to use a machine gun, if the game is gonna ding you for killing people and alerting guards? Let alone the rest of less than stealthy arsenal.

Most people are gonna play this game like this on their first run, if they want to play it stealthily. Binoculars, mark, mark, mark, sneak, sneak, sneak, tranq, tranq, tranq, with the occasional CQC and interrogation, and pulling out the lethal weapons when they fuck up. In between that, they'll collect shit for the base. Clear area, collect shit, do mission goal, and repeat. Unless you absolutely love the game, most people aren't going to take the time to fuck around with it too much.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying, and I do think the game offers you a ridiculous amount of freedom if you take the time to learn all of it's intricacies. I'm just saying the game doesn't do a good job at making you want to experiment with it. Most just want to beat the missions as directly as possible, and anything after that, is gonna be left for the more hardcore players.

As for the story, and how it's told, meh. Give me my 30 minute cutscenes back, please. :cool:

I think the primary disagreement is incentive. I don't think the game did it poorly because it doesn't do it at all. I don't think Kojima ever intended to incentivize players to do anything. You've got to remember, these are designers who cut their teeth on the MSX/NES. Players in those days got dropped into environments and there was no coddling or hand-holding. You literally had to figure out almost everything on your own.

I used Zelda earlier, and I think it's the best example. The Legend of Zelda literally dropped you off unarmed in the wilderness surrounded by enemies. No hints to check this cave or that. Nothing. It was up to you. The world was cold and indifferent to the player. It was up to you to survive, explore, strengthen yourself, and so on.

MGSV is cut from that same cloth. Any exploring to be done, new ways or methods of doing things, is completely up to the player. The game doesn't incentivize players poorly. It doesn't incentivize at all. That's one of the many things I like about Metal Gear as a whole. There is so much to be discovered beneath the surface, and nearly all of it is inconsequential to the main game or story. You discover it all based on how much you want to play around and explore.

I think the primary disagreement is incentive. I don't think the game did it poorly because it doesn't do it at all. I don't think Kojima ever intended to incentivize players to do anything. You've got to remember, these are designers who cut their teeth on the MSX/NES. Players in those days got dropped into environments and there was no coddling or hand-holding. You literally had to figure out almost everything on your own.

I used Zelda earlier, and I think it's the best example. The Legend of Zelda literally dropped you off unarmed in the wilderness surrounded by enemies. No hints to check this cave or that. Nothing. It was up to you. The world was cold and indifferent to the player. It was up to you to survive, explore, strengthen yourself, and so on.

MGSV is cut from that same cloth. Any exploring to be done, new ways or methods of doing things, is completely up to the player. The game doesn't incentivize players poorly. It doesn't incentivize at all. That's one of the many things I like about Metal Gear as a whole. There is so much to be discovered beneath the surface, and nearly all of it is inconsequential to the main game or story. You discover it all based on how much you want to play around and explore.

I agree with the overall point of it being one big sandbox that leaves it up to the player to make their own fun. I don't know about the Zelda comparison though, as I think that game was just cryptic. I'd actually compare it something like "Just Cause", where the world is seemingly kind of hollow and boring, and you can get by doing the basics, but there is whole other level of depth to the open world gameplay, if you choose to mess around with the game's physics, and tools it gives you. You can just run and gun, and blow some shit up, but you won't get much out of it if that's all you do. To really get the most of it, you have to create your own fun with the seemingly limitless things the world allows you to do.

As far as incentivizing poorly or not, I agree that it doesn't at all incentivize you, but that was essentially my point. Depending on how you look at it, it's a blessing or a curse. I'm kind of in the middle. I think the gameplay is some of the most robust you'll find in any game...ever. It's insanely deep. I would also like something driving me forward a bit more, and a bit more manufactured variety in the mission design.

You guys neglected to mention the nice Sins of the Father song available on iTunes and the pretty model Quiet was based on (except for the ample world class boobage).

Ludvig's Bloodstained Anthem and A Phantom Pain are also good songs.

The first level in this game was one of the best I’ve ever played. The rest of the game just couldn’t keep up.. all the different areas looked the same and there were only 2 maps

It’s a shit game with a shit ending and shit pvp. Having spent 60 hours on it I can say that. Only cool fight was the final boss
I can't remember the last boss. I can't remember the name of the metal gear thing. I remember being disappointed with the reptiloid.

I remember the stage where you enter the infected zone, that was rough.

I hate that you have to pay for ammo, on top of paying super expensive for development. Peace Walker had it right.

Plus, peace Walker had the chopper level and the cool secret boss

So I bought the definitive edition. After seeing credits after playing ground zero for 30 minutes I was confused so I played it over again and then looked it up and saw that that was essentially it. So I moved to the main story. Im about 6 hours in. I gotta say I hate everything about this game from the controls, to the story(?),to the sloppy stealth, to the monotonous setting. Am I missing something??????????? I really wanted to like this game so someone please sell me on it.

Is it just really taking down a bunch of outposts with no coherent mission?

So I shoot people with a machine gun but they don't die before I give them a 6 year old girl soccer player level kick to the head?

the stealth oscillates between barely using any of your devices, ever and fighting stuff because you don't want to slowly pick off a bunch of guys for the minor resupply mission #647

I can't remember the last boss. I can't remember the name of the metal gear thing. I remember being disappointed with the reptiloid.

I remember the stage where you enter the infected zone, that was rough.

I hate that you have to pay for ammo, on top of paying super expensive for development. Peace Walker had it right.

Plus, peace Walker had the chopper level and the cool secret boss
Final boss is the Sahalanthropus. They did a great job making it huge and imposing, really making you run for your life. Or in my case, hop in the missle launching truck, wedge yourself in a corner where it can’t hit you, and spam it to death in a minute or two.

Yeah that’s the thing. If the game is fun enough I think repetitive isn’t that big of a deal. It’s pretty subjective. I’m ok with doing the same type of thing over and over if it’s fun and to me MGSV was fun throughout the whole thing. I do think I may have skipped some of the side ones but I did just about all of them and never felt burnt out from them
That’s exactly the thing. If the game is fun and you enjoy everything about it, repeating missions isn’t bad at all. I did enjoy fultoning everything under the sun with the wormhole Fulton.

One of the best playing games ever. The story was whatever but it was an absolute joy to play.

You guys neglected to mention the nice Sins of the Father song available on iTunes and the pretty model Quiet was based on (except for the ample world class boobage).

Ludvig's Bloodstained Anthem and A Phantom Pain are also good songs.

There were a lot of great songs in MGSV (and Metal Gear Solid in general). One you forgot, or maybe didn't like, was Nuclear.

Nuclear isn't as good as the song it was obviously inspired by (Epitaph by King Crimson), but still excellent.

Another great MGS song was Way to Fall, and of course, the Best is Yet to Come.

Another great MGS song was Way to Fall, and of course, the Best is Yet to Come.

I actually saw that band "Starsailor" live, way back when they were touring that album. They opened for a band called "Doves". I didn't beat MGS3 until a few years ago, and when that song hit, I was like "Wait a second. I know this song!"

That was in between the tears of course....

What a pitch perfect choice for a song, to end a pitch perfect game.

Back