Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Never watched the full movie before, just some clips. I think I'm gonna have to watch it in full because of the unintentional humor.

Updated:

Reading the yt comments is hilarious as well.

Lars-Kisses-Kirk-Load-Era.jpg

Fucking homos.

Last edited:
That entire film is hilarious and the passive aggressive therapist they hire is gold. The best scene is when Lars plays some unreleased track for his dad and he asks him what he thinks and he tells him to "delete it" and that it sounds like "someone screaming in an echo chamber".

A huge embarassment for all involved. Except Torben. Torben pwned.

Lars is fucking hilarious and he has no idea that he is.

That lime green shirt and his accent is comedy gold.

"He left the fucking bänd, män!"

Last edited:
I have never been interested in it before because it's had so many glowing reviews by mongs who like the black album and newer, but my interest is piqued by this idea of watching it as a comedy. Thanks Sherdog!

It's funny as fuck-6.9/10.

If you are a Metallica fan and you actually enjoy being a Metallica fan, then I'd recommend that you DON'T watch it.

I used to like Metallica, but after watching this documentary it brought down my enjoyment of their music a couple pegs.

I was amazed this saw the light of day. I can't imagine control-freak Hetfield who wouldn't even let the other members listen to the songs without him present would agree to do something like this without veto control.. ? Like, did they see it and go, "yeah you know we come off pretty well here !!" ?? They seriously seem like such emotional children that it's depressing. I mean, it's hilarious, but yeah like someone else said, don't expect to GAIN respect for them here.

That entire film is hilarious and the passive aggressive therapist they hire is gold. The best scene is when Lars plays some unreleased track for his dad and he asks him what he thinks and he tells him to "delete it" and that it sounds like "someone screaming in an echo chamber".

Lol totally. It's ALMOST as funny as Spinal Tap...which is amazing because they weren't trying to be funny:/

I've never seen it. I used to be a huge Metallica fan, but then I heard other bands and realized how shitty of a drummer Lars is. Now, all I can hear when I listen to them is Lars being shitty. That and their new music is just awful. And the Napster thing. But since we're on the subject, has anyone seen the Pantera "3" video? It's pretty awesome. And it won't make you lose respect for them.

They sure made a great job at being portrayed as huge cunts...

I've never seen it. I used to be a huge Metallica fan, but then I heard other bands and realized how shitty of a drummer Lars is. Now, all I can hear when I listen to them is Lars being shitty. That and their new music is just awful. And the Napster thing. But since we're on the subject, has anyone seen the Pantera "3" video? It's pretty awesome. And it won't make you lose respect for them.
this will, however

http://you_poseur.tripod.com/panTera/panTera.htm

Totes agreed on Lars. TBH Hammett is pretty bad too. Not Lars bad and he has some good ideas, but in general he has one solo and seems to be tone deaf.

I'm probably the biggest Metallica fan here on Sherdog. Been a member of their fan club since 2001, seen them 8 times and also got to meet the band back in 2009. But seeing Some Kind Of Monster when it was first released back in 2004 ended up making me not like Lars Ulrich much anymore. He came off as a massive egotistical asshole for the whole Jason leaving part and then that of James and his rehab schedule cutting into the bands time. I can sort of understand having Phil Towle come in, I mean his clients included Tom Morello, STP, Tennessee Titans and others so he had to been an asset to help the crumbling band not fall apart. What I do like about SKOM is how they handled the Newsted departure by allowing Jason to participate and tell his side of the story. Also par Lars "HE LEFT THE FUCKING BAND!". I remember another incident in the film when they are auditioning bass players to replace Jason and Lars said and I might be a bit off "If Cliff came in today and auditioned I don't know if he'd even get the job", way to shit on Cliff like he wasn't a good bassist or anything.

Of all the band members Lars is the only one I have an unfavorable opinion of in regards to certain aspects of his demeanor and playing ability. I mean just look at the songs the band has released from their upcoming album Hardwired, while the drumming isn't that sophisticated, fast or eccentric it does sound pretty good for both songs. The problem is both songs are not played like the studio version live. The parts that had prominent double bass either had no double bass at all or minimal bass. Many people say its because of his age and I laugh because there are rock and metal drummers like Danny Carey, Charlie Benante, Dave Lombardo and Dennis Ritchie of Macabre who all are around Lars' age and haven't lost a step and have even gotten better with age. It just annoys the fuck out of me that Lars admits now that he only ever plays the drums when he is warming up before gigs and recording an album. I mean everyone else in the band enjoys learning new things about their instruments, practicing new techniques and so on but not Lars. Makes me wonder if Lars thinks the drums are a job now mostly and he lost some of the passion he once had for the instrument. Just remember folks in the mid 80's Dave Lombardo offered to teach Lars the proper fundamentals of drumming and also to work on his stamina but Lars declined saying he didn't need help. Also one last thing about Ulrich back in 1986 while the band was on tour supporting Master of Puppets all three other band members, James, Kirk and Cliff were going to fire Lars once the tour ended over how he was managing the band and his playing. That came to a screeching halt when Cliff died in the bus accident on Sept 27th, 86. I will say this though when I met him back in 2009 he was very nice, gracious and put me at ease when I started to get nervous. We both spoke a bit about our favorite painters.

The one thing that really intrigued me in the film was the fact that I found out that James wasn't just an alcoholic but he had become addicted to Opioid pain medication. I myself at the time was just at the beginning of the slow spiral into heavy opiate addiction and to realize one of musical hero's has been through the same addiction and was able to conquer it gave me hope I could it as well. Granted this 2003 and I didn't fully get clean from heroin in early 2009. I even thanked Hetfield for being honest about his drug and alcohol addiction overcoming it and that it gave me hope that if someone like you can overcome it than someone like myself can as well. He said thank you and that its stuff like this is why he gets up in the morning and still immensely enjoys playing and producing music.

I've never heard of Exhorder but after listening to a couple songs....yeah Pantera ripped them the fuck off. Especially Dimebag. As a guitar player it's like damn, not only did he rip the dude's tone off completely but he ripped off multiple riff styles too. The Exhorder guitarist will be doing a slow Drop D groove type palm muting riff and then switch it right into a high pitched shrill riff which is one of Dimebag's signatures.

I'm probably the biggest Metallica fan here on Sherdog. Been a member of their fan club since 2001.

If you were around the 80s, I wouldn't think you'd have this opinion. But I guess, they changed their style to get new demographics.

Robert Trujilo is too good for Metalica (I'm not talking talent here, but as a person). As a bass player myself, I can't imagine what a drag it must be to play with Lars.

Back