Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

It feels the movie was an inspiration for this show:

And MY friends think I'M hard on drummers.
No, I like a lot of the stuff he did on their older albums. He made up for his lack of fundamentals with just good playing and creativity. But his studio work got way worse recently. I mean, not only did he not improve at all, but he got worse. And live? Fuck, someone posted the video earlier. He is awful a lot of the time.

No, I like a lot of the stuff he did on their older albums. He made up for his lack of fundamentals with just good playing and creativity. But his studio work got way worse recently. I mean, not only did he not improve at all, but he got worse. And live? Fuck, someone posted the video earlier. He is awful a lot of the time.
I like his drum sound but yah he needs a click track.

When I was a kid these guys were gods to me. I wore out my VHS copy of "A Year and a Half in the life of Metallica".

When I saw Some Kind of Monster it definitely ruined the mystique.

Highlight parts are robert's auditions and when Lars' dad tells him to delete the track he listens to.

He needs a teacher so he can learn some fundamentals.
If you are talking about Lars that ship has sailed already. Lars has stated on a few occasions that he never bothered to learn the proper fundamentals. Back in 2004 when Dave Lombardo of Slayer filled in on drums for Lars during download he offered afterwards to have Lars come over his house and he would teach him some techniques and what not, Lars politely declined. In the 80's to late 90's Lars relied on his age to be able to play the way he did. Age has caught up to him and since he never learned proper drum technique or fundamentals his playing suffers. He has however recently had spurts where his playing is amazing but that is rare.

Metallica is my all time favorite band and have been since I was around 11 years old. Been a member of their fan club since 2001 and got to meet all four members back before their gig here in Nassau County in 2009. But I am not blinded like a lot of die hard fans of the band when it comes to their music, playing, and everything associated with them. There are other drummers like Mike Portnoy, Dave Lombardo, Danny Carey, Charlie Benante, Gene Hoglan, Tomas Haake and so on who all are around the same age as Lars who haven't a step and in some degrees gotten better with age. Anyone who says its just age with Lars' is either A)lying to themselves or B)clueless. Its a mixture of both not learning proper technique and his age. Personally Lars is a very nice person and when very down to earth (That is how he was when we met) but his drumming is what irks me a bit.

When the band isn't touring or recording James, Rob and Kirk all play their instruments and enjoy doing so. Lars on the other hand has said that if the band isn't touring or recording he doesn't touch the drums.
1929163_58564602638_6694116_n.jpg

Myself and James back in 2009

If you are talking about Lars that ship has sailed already. Lars has stated on a few occasions that he never bothered to learn the proper fundamentals. Back in 2004 when Dave Lombardo of Slayer filled in on drums for Lars during download he offered afterwards to have Lars come over his house and he would teach him some techniques and what not, Lars politely declined. In the 80's to late 90's Lars relied on his age to be able to play the way he did. Age has caught up to him and since he never learned proper drum technique or fundamentals his playing suffers. He has however recently had spurts where his playing is amazing but that is rare.

Metallica is my all time favorite band and have been since I was around 11 years old. Been a member of their fan club since 2001 and got to meet all four members back before their gig here in Nassau County in 2009. But I am not blinded like a lot of die hard fans of the band when it comes to their music, playing, and everything associated with them. There are other drummers like Mike Portnoy, Dave Lombardo, Danny Carey, Charlie Benante, Gene Hoglan, Tomas Haake and so on who all are around the same age as Lars who haven't a step and in some degrees gotten better with age. Anyone who says its just age with Lars' is either A)lying to themselves or B)clueless. Its a mixture of both not learning proper technique and his age. Personally Lars is a very nice person and when very down to earth (That is how he was when we met) but his drumming is what irks me a bit.

When the band isn't touring or recording James, Rob and Kirk all play their instruments and enjoy doing so. Lars on the other hand has said that if the band isn't touring or recording he doesn't touch the drums.
1929163_58564602638_6694116_n.jpg

Myself and James back in 2009
That all makes a lot of sense.

I threw away that album.

Lars stated somewhere about the bass auditions, something similar to the affect of "Cliff might not even make the cut"..It just came out poorly because I'm thinking you probably wouldn't be auditioning bassists right now with your millions in the bank if it wasn't for James and Cliff. There's a reason RTL is a drastic change from KEA. Cliff was too good for that abomination I call the direction they took. ST. Anger makes Load look like Puppets.

It speaks volumes how superior their 80's material was when what they wrote in 5 years 30+ years ago makes up 80 percent of the setlist today.

One of the biggest fans ever, but haven't seen the movie and doubt I will.

The doc was all right, but the some kind of monster tour was awesome. Godsmack opened for them iirc.

Just randomly listened to this track. Not their best but a good toetapper. It was the last time Jason was in a Metallica MV iirc.

There was some very cringe moments, but I respect that they kept it warts and all.
I bought Kill’em All in ‘83. It cost $25 CAD, which about three times what other records cost at the time.

If you haven't seen this you must. It is fucking hilarious

Back