Miami Mega Jail

sweede

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

So, I was watching Miami mega jail by Louis Theroux the other night. I have seen other good productions by same man, and I really like the way he approach peoples.

Anyway. I have always been divided when it comes to how the best way could be to do jail time. Punishment or rehab? But when I see some of the inmates, I´m wondering if they can be saved at all. What can a 25+ year old man do to change his situation when he has served his term? Am I rude to think that many of them seemed quite retarded? Or is it the way they are talking? I had to use subs to follow their conversations.

I´m again asking the american audience for some good intel. Is the american jail-system working in general? Some of the most violent inmates in this film are quite scary to watch. But at the same time I feel a little bit sad when I see them. It just feels like they are animals locked away. Not a good-feeling environment if you ask me.

Future social repercussion wise, might as well put a bullet in their head.

It is effective in doling out punishment. Obviously it's not working at all based on the recidivism rate.

And obviously some will say it is not a prison issue but a people / culture problem.

It depends on the crime. It can't be about rehabilitation if you're dealing with 1st degree murder or pedophilia. Or recidivistic maggots.

So, I was watching Miami mega jail by Louis Theroux the other night. I have seen other good productions by same man, and I really like the way he approach peoples.

Anyway. I have always been divided when it comes to how the best way could be to do jail time. Punishment or rehab? But when I see some of the inmates, I´m wondering if they can be saved at all. What can a 25+ year old man do to change his situation when he has served his term? Am I rude to think that many of them seemed quite retarded? Or is it the way they are talking? I had to use subs to follow their conversations.

I´m again asking the american audience for some good intel. Is the american jail-system working in general? Some of the most violent inmates in this film are quite scary to watch. But at the same time I feel a little bit sad when I see them. It just feels like they are animals locked away. Not a good-feeling environment if you ask me.

i can go all day on this subject. american jails and prisons are basically university for criminals. if someone commits a crime out of desparation, we lock them in a room with a bunch of hardened criminals with nothing to do all day except talk about crimes, form gangs and plan crimes for when they get out. then they get out into the same desperate situation, except now they had 6 months talking about the best way to rob, and we expect them to not rob anyone

youre not rude for saying a lot seem retarded, inner city "hoodrat" culture breeds a lot of people that arent compatible with civilized society, then they spend a lifetime going in and out of jail, because thats all theyre capable of

i think we shold
A-separate members of prison gangs into more divided sections so that they never interact during their stay
B-brutal punishment for gang activity
C-forced labor, to both pay for the jailing system and to give them work experience for when they get out

i havent watched that video, but many of the prisons arent in cells, its literally a big hangout for members of the same gang
article-0-15B34CEB000005DC-339_964x530.jpg

Poor education system + no positive adult interaction = people you see in this video.

They need education, but they have no reason to attempt to better themselves (as far as they see it).

i can go all day on this subject. american jails and prisons are basically university for criminals. if someone commits a crime out of desparation, we lock them in a room with a bunch of hardened criminals with nothing to do all day except talk about crimes, form gangs and plan crimes for when they get out. then they get out into the same desperate situation, except now they had 6 months talking about the best way to rob, and we expect them to not rob anyone

youre not rude for saying a lot seem retarded, inner city "hoodrat" culture breeds a lot of people that arent compatible with civilized society, then they spend a lifetime going in and out of jail, because thats all theyre capable of

i think we shold
A-separate members of prison gangs into more divided sections so that they never interact during their stay
B-brutal punishment for gang activity
C-forced labor, to both pay for the jailing system and to give them work experience for when they get out

i havent watched that video, but many of the prisons arent in cells, its literally a big hangout for members of the same gang
article-0-15B34CEB000005DC-339_964x530.jpg

It saves money to let gangs run the prisons.

Prison sounds like hell. You should kill scum no BS trial take forever. Cheaper and safest.

I rather be die then go spend +10 year with nothing but men in cell. I kill myself if was sentence to life. Prison most cruel than executing people for time.

Depends on what you mean by "working". It's getting them off the street for however long their sentence is. I'd prefer criminals work off the value of whatever was stolen or damaged, and they should just kill murderers and pedos the day after the trial. No 10-15 years on death row while you write your memoirs and sire a few kids from conjugal visits, the next day.

6sZ2ee5.jpg

HexjraL.jpg

Anyway some people are just too damaged emotionally from shit lives and garbage environment to be able to behave normally in society. There's no saving them.

Part of the problem is we throw these people in jail for years (most of which have nothing going for them at the time) then let them free and say "good luck". I don't understand why we aren't trying to educate them give them some trade skills and things like that. Would even be great to get companies signed on to give them jobs right as they get out. Maybe give those companies tax breaks for hiring so many inmates etc.

Also we need to look into getting rid of this background check or adjusting or something. You shouldn't be denied jobs for a felony you committed 15 years ago when you were 18 if you've done nothing wrong since that time. Maybe for bank jobs or other high level jobs like that they can have access but the local refinery shouldn't worry about it (even though most don't already).

It saves money to let gangs run the prisons.

until they commit more crimes in prisons, or shortly after getting out, then you jail them longer and it ends up costing more (plus the missed tax revenue of not being a working citizen)

until they commit more crimes in prisons, or shortly after getting out, then you jail them longer and it ends up costing more (plus the missed tax revenue of not being a working citizen)

Costing who more? Us? They don't care. The Prison and guards? They are fine with it.

From the perspective of the tax payer? sure.

From the perspective of law enforcement? it means more money and more jobs.

Part of the problem is we throw these people in jail for years (most of which have nothing going for them at the time) then let them free and say "good luck". I don't understand why we aren't trying to educate them give them some trade skills and things like that. Would even be great to get companies signed on to give them jobs right as they get out. Maybe give those companies tax breaks for hiring so many inmates etc..
All of the things you mention are already in place in many prisons. Some guys do go on to lead decent lives, it's just that we don't hear about them. The majority of them don't really want help, though. They like their lives, as shitty as it seems to the rest of us.

All of the things you mention are already in place in many prisons. Some guys do go on to lead decent lives, it's just that we don't hear about them. The majority of them don't really want help, though. They like their lives, as shitty as it seems to the rest of us.

I understand some of them are just going to be fuck ups but I don't feel like we have this in enough prisons. I could be wrong though as I've literally done close to 0 research on it.

I understand some of them are just going to be fuck ups but I don't feel like we have this in enough prisons. I could be wrong though as I've literally done close to 0 research on it.

It's complex because there are federal, state, and for-profit systems. So there isn't clear crossover of quality/education etc...

I apologize for the length of this post, and that it’s mostly annecdotal, but it reflects my thoughts on our system of incarceration. I studied Criminal Justice in college, and although it’s not the career I have chosen, it’s always held interest for me. As part of my studies I went on several ride alongs with police departments. The stop that I often think about when contemplating our CJ system involved a college student who was arrested for possession of some joints and hash oil. We had picked him up outside a party. He was chatting to some girls and throwing empty beer bottles into the parking lot of an apartment complex, while drinking others. The police had been called because some people in the apartments were concerned about the broken glass. When the cop I was with showed up he started to mouth off because it was a female cop. Well eventually he was placed under arrest and he had the pot and hash oil in his pocket. As he was being taken to the station he started to bawl, saying it was his third strike, all this stuff and I genuinely felt sorry for him. When we got to the station, though, it all changed and he started to call out the cop, calling her some names and saying she’d better not incuff him or he was going to kick her ass, all that stuff. She just ignored it and ended up dropping the possession charges so he wouldn’t be on his third strike, just gave him a minor and a fine for the bottles. He still had to spend the rest of the night in the holding cell, though. He responded by spitting in her face and telling her that she was lucky she was armed.

I’ve often wondered, would jail have been the better or worse outcome for him? On the one hand, he was pretty aggressive during the arrest, and threatened to physically harm the officer on multiple occasions, including threatening sexual assault. On the other, he was a college student, so presumably somewhat put together. Was his aggression his true nature, and he deserved to be held away from other folks? Was his recidivism due to his natural aggression and contempt for the generally accepted rules of society? Or was he just fronting to impress the girls in the parking lot, and the other guys in the holding tank that he’d have to spend the night with? Was his crying in the cop car his true self? I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a combination of both. The punishment of jail, and more so the isolation of aggressive people from others, is necessary. Giving breaks doesn’t seem to always work, sometimes the carrot isn’t enough motivation. But it’s also clear that his anger needed a better outlet, but ultimately he was going to school at a major university so he couldn’t have been too terribly dysfunctional. Could someone who threatened a cop be rehabilitated? Can that anger go away or find an outlet? Or is jail just the natural place for someone like him? I truly can’t decide, and frequently go back and forth on those questions.

Having worked in the court system unfortunately there are some guys that commit their first crime, can't bail out, and then change to survive in jail while awaiting trial or a decent plea deal and then come right back because they can't adjust to what they were prior to going in.

Then you have cockbags that threaten to stab pregnant girlfriends with ball point pens in the stomach that will always be assholes.

Back