Miami Mega Jail

Jail is often times a vacation from the hell of every day life. You don't have to think, you don't have to provide for anyone, you don't have to do anything. As weird as it sounds, it's freedom.

Jail is often times a vacation from the hell of every day life. You don't have to think, you don't have to provide for anyone, you don't have to do anything. As weird as it sounds, it's freedom.

Think you're mistaking jail and prison.... Jail is not a fucking vacation.

The guy that just pled guilty to simple possession and REQUESTED a 12 months and 1 day so he could go to prison instead of the 6 month jail sentence that was proposed.

Saw this this morning. You actually have a ton more freedom of movement in prison, hell, you can go outside for yard time and shit. Jail? You're stuck inside literally ALL fucking day and even your rec time is in an enclosed space with little slits for windows.

As an example @sniper ... this is my county's main jail situation right now as they are over full.
2jb8xg9.jpg

I say "main jail" as we have a work center for post conviction guys on work crew/work release type sentences and shit. County voters approved a jail tax to build a new one nearly 8 years ago... funds were mis-used and now voters are saying no to the new jail tax because "We already said yes you dumb shits"

This is one of the main DOC facilities in the state:
2016683086-300x0.jpg

2016683262-300x0.jpg

Tiers suck ass but in the words of my neighbor that spent about 8 months in prison at one point "at least you get to go outside and walk around and shit"

As an example @sniper ... this is my county's main jail situation right now as they are over full.
2jb8xg9.jpg

I say "main jail" as we have a work center for post conviction guys on work crew/work release type sentences and shit. County voters approved a jail tax to build a new one nearly 8 years ago... funds were mis-used and now voters are saying no to the new jail tax because "We already said yes you dumb shits"

This is one of the main DOC facilities in the state:
2016683086-300x0.jpg

2016683262-300x0.jpg

Tiers suck ass but in the words of my neighbor that spent about 8 months in prison at one point "at least you get to go outside and walk around and shit"
We're from the same place bro.

But none of that goes against the point of my post. In jail you have no responsibility. It' freedom. You don't have to do anything, including think.

We're from the same place bro.

But none of that goes against the point of my post. In jail you have no responsibility. It' freedom. You don't have to do anything, including think.
True but I think from the perspective of those that are on the inside you still have a bit more freedom at prison compared to jail.

My understanding from guys I work with who are deputies in the jail you're essentially suck in that cell unless you're part of the cook staff like 20-23 hours a day.

True but I think from the perspective of those that are on the inside you still have a bit more freedom at prison compared to jail.

My understanding from guys I work with who are deputies in the jail you're essentially suck in that cell unless you're part of the cook staff like 20-23 hours a day.
I'm sure you're right in that respect. But then, in prison, youd either have to join/be accepted by a gang, find a way to secluded yourself, or get your ass beat every day. That sounds worse, IMO. I' rather just do my time by myself and gtfo.

But then, I don' plan on doing something stupid and going to jail/prison for any stretch of time. So who knows

So, I was watching Miami mega jail by Louis Theroux the other night. I have seen other good productions by same man, and I really like the way he approach peoples.

Anyway. I have always been divided when it comes to how the best way could be to do jail time. Punishment or rehab? But when I see some of the inmates, I´m wondering if they can be saved at all. What can a 25+ year old man do to change his situation when he has served his term? Am I rude to think that many of them seemed quite retarded? Or is it the way they are talking? I had to use subs to follow their conversations.

I´m again asking the american audience for some good intel. Is the american jail-system working in general? Some of the most violent inmates in this film are quite scary to watch. But at the same time I feel a little bit sad when I see them. It just feels like they are animals locked away. Not a good-feeling environment if you ask me.

You will never reform the majority of these people. I know many criminals, I can't think of a single one who straightened up.

We need to make jail horrific. It needs to be straight up scary, scary enough to actually deter criminal behavior. The adult babysitting we have now isn't working.

So, I was watching Miami mega jail by Louis Theroux the other night. I have seen other good productions by same man, and I really like the way he approach peoples.

Anyway. I have always been divided when it comes to how the best way could be to do jail time. Punishment or rehab? But when I see some of the inmates, I´m wondering if they can be saved at all. What can a 25+ year old man do to change his situation when he has served his term? Am I rude to think that many of them seemed quite retarded? Or is it the way they are talking? I had to use subs to follow their conversations.

I´m again asking the american audience for some good intel. Is the american jail-system working in general? Some of the most violent inmates in this film are quite scary to watch. But at the same time I feel a little bit sad when I see them. It just feels like they are animals locked away. Not a good-feeling environment if you ask me.

Some of them can be rehabbed, but not a lot. I have a buddy who did some serious time in a colorado federal pen, he did what he had to do for a few years and now runs a really successful tree trimming business. The ones that are in lockup now; if you are sentenced to over 6 months you should have to work for pennies. They can learn a trade and also be of a tiny benefit to society instead of just taking up space.

Last edited:
Costing who more? Us? They don't care. The Prison and guards? They are fine with it.

I once applied for a job with a company who runs alot of American prisons. It was white collar and based in the cbd.
It was paying about double comparable roles elsewhere.

Ended up temping with them charged at $250 per hour, i personally was gettng $95 per hour.

Great gig while it lasted. (They changed systems).

You will never reform the majority of these people. I know many criminals, I can't think of a single one who straightened up.

We need to make jail horrific. It needs to be straight up scary, scary enough to actually deter criminal behavior. The adult babysitting we have now isn't working.

So basically double down on what isn't working currently?

If you are going to let them out eventually you are not well served by fucking them up worse.

So basically double down on what isn't working currently?

If you are going to let them out eventually you are not well served by fucking them up worse.

What we're doing now is adult babysitting.

I want to make that shit horrific. Prison loaf for every meal. Hard labor. Uncomfortable living conditions etc. make it so the NEVER want to go back.

The code exists, he doesn't know why, nor can he express it, but he chooses to follow it despite acknowledging how destructive the code is.

You can't help folks with that mindset. Sorry.

What we're doing now is adult babysitting.

I want to make that shit horrific. Prison loaf for every meal. Hard labor. Uncomfortable living conditions etc. make it so the NEVER want to go back.

American prisons are tough by first world standards.
I wouldn't say they are child minding.

The toughness and lawlessnes basically ensures every inmate needs a gang affiliation. This will cause lots of issues.

The prison as punishment instead of rehabilitation just ensures repeat business.

I dunno, OP, but Louis Theroux is the mofuckin shit.

This has got to be the most lame, pussy-ass post I’ve ever read on this forum!

“Ooh, they shound sho shcawee!”

I apologize for the length of this post, and that it’s mostly annecdotal, but it reflects my thoughts on our system of incarceration. I studied Criminal Justice in college, and although it’s not the career I have chosen, it’s always held interest for me. As part of my studies I went on several ride alongs with police departments. The stop that I often think about when contemplating our CJ system involved a college student who was arrested for possession of some joints and hash oil. We had picked him up outside a party. He was chatting to some girls and throwing empty beer bottles into the parking lot of an apartment complex, while drinking others. The police had been called because some people in the apartments were concerned about the broken glass. When the cop I was with showed up he started to mouth off because it was a female cop. Well eventually he was placed under arrest and he had the pot and hash oil in his pocket. As he was being taken to the station he started to bawl, saying it was his third strike, all this stuff and I genuinely felt sorry for him. When we got to the station, though, it all changed and he started to call out the cop, calling her some names and saying she’d better not incuff him or he was going to kick her ass, all that stuff. She just ignored it and ended up dropping the possession charges so he wouldn’t be on his third strike, just gave him a minor and a fine for the bottles. He still had to spend the rest of the night in the holding cell, though. He responded by spitting in her face and telling her that she was lucky she was armed.

I’ve often wondered, would jail have been the better or worse outcome for him? On the one hand, he was pretty aggressive during the arrest, and threatened to physically harm the officer on multiple occasions, including threatening sexual assault. On the other, he was a college student, so presumably somewhat put together. Was his aggression his true nature, and he deserved to be held away from other folks? Was his recidivism due to his natural aggression and contempt for the generally accepted rules of society? Or was he just fronting to impress the girls in the parking lot, and the other guys in the holding tank that he’d have to spend the night with? Was his crying in the cop car his true self? I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a combination of both. The punishment of jail, and more so the isolation of aggressive people from others, is necessary. Giving breaks doesn’t seem to always work, sometimes the carrot isn’t enough motivation. But it’s also clear that his anger needed a better outlet, but ultimately he was going to school at a major university so he couldn’t have been too terribly dysfunctional. Could someone who threatened a cop be rehabilitated? Can that anger go away or find an outlet? Or is jail just the natural place for someone like him? I truly can’t decide, and frequently go back and forth on those questions.
Let me get this straight...

He was drunk, in possession of a controlled substance, throwing bottles into an apartment complex (where I’m certain children play), harrassing, insulting, threatening, and ultimately assaulting a female police officer...

...oh, and he has two previous strikes...

...and he’s “well put together”...because he goes to college!?

You and him should BOTH be locked up! Pair of idiots.

Back