Miami Mega Jail

1) In Federal and State prisons, the fundamental problem is that there are just way, WAY too many non violent offenders in prison at all. We should have 70% fewer people in federal and state prison.

I'm sure you've researched and thought this through and aren't just blindly repeating what you've heard other people say. Alright champ, who are we releasing in the streets today? We gotta reach 70%.

State prisoner breakdown in 2012:

Violent: 53.8%

- Murder 12.7%
- Manslaughter 1.3%
- Rape/sexual assault 12.2%

- Robbery 13.7%
- Aggravated or simple assault 10.7%
- Other violent 3.2%
Property 18.3%
- Burglary 9.9%
- Larceny 3.7%
- Motor vehicle theft 0.9%
- Fraud 2.2%
- Other property 2.2%
Drug 16%
- Drug possession 3.7%
- Trafficking 12.2%
Public order (weapons, public indecency, drunk driving) 10.7%
Other 0.8%

Jail is often times a vacation from the hell of every day life. You don't have to think, you don't have to provide for anyone, you don't have to do anything. As weird as it sounds, it's freedom.
I'm sure to some institutionalized individuals, jail is a kind of normalcy, a retreat, even a safe place to some extent. But to most, it's the hell. Thankfully I've never been incarcerated but I have worked in jails and it's not nice. Human suffering and misery and the nicer the inmate (as weird as that sounds) the worse the suffering.

i think we shold
A-separate members of prison gangs into more divided sections so that they never interact during their stay
B-brutal punishment for gang activity
C-forced labor, to both pay for the jailing system and to give them work experience for when they get out

i havent watched that video, but many of the prisons arent in cells, its literally a big hangout for members of the same gang
article-0-15B34CEB000005DC-339_964x530.jpg

Desegregation actually increases violence in prisons and jails.

I have no issue with harsh punishment combined with a realistic attempt at rehabilitation.

I have an issue with for profit prisons that have an incentive to increase the prisoner population.

I'm sure you've researched and thought this through and aren't just blindly repeating what you've heard other people say. Alright champ, who are we releasing in the streets today? We gotta reach 70%.

State prisoner breakdown in 2012:

Violent: 53.8%

- Murder 12.7%
- Manslaughter 1.3%
- Rape/sexual assault 12.2%

- Robbery 13.7%
- Aggravated or simple assault 10.7%
- Other violent 3.2%
Property 18.3%
- Burglary 9.9%
- Larceny 3.7%
- Motor vehicle theft 0.9%
- Fraud 2.2%
- Other property 2.2%
Drug 16%
- Drug possession 3.7%
- Trafficking 12.2%
Public order (weapons, public indecency, drunk driving) 10.7%
Other 0.8%

You are a knucklehead. I could lower the prison population 70% without releasing a single prisoner early (though reducing and commuting non violent drug offenses makes a lot of sense, and would dramatically speed up the process)

All you have to do is make changes to what crimes lead to incarceration moving forward. and how long people will stay in prison for various crimes moving forward.

I would probably start with the Federal prison system as opposed to state, as it is more out of balance and easier to change. 46% of ALL Federal prisoners are in on drug offenses.

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

Secondly, I would take a long hard look at sentencing, particularly along racial lines. And particularly in the State systems.

70% might seem like a big number to you. But only because you are looking through the pathetically naive, narrow lens of the horrid, corrupt, biased US criminal justice system.

Look anywhere else in the Western world. ANYWHERE ELSE. You will find prison populations that are more than 70% less than the US per capita. And none of those places have measurably worse crime rates than the US, and many have better. And they all spend a tiny fraction of what we do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm

Last edited:
I don't understand why we don't put down the guys in for murder/rape. Once you murder or rape someone you are not fixable, and decades in prison aren't going to make you a person fit for society.

But if we just kill them once convicted (in the clear cut cases), the streets and jail would be a much safer place, and maybe then jails can be less about survival and more about fixing yourself.

Death for serious, violent crimes, also for repeat offenders, rehab for lessor crimes.

Eliminate the worst, rehab the rest.

Wow, thanks for this insightful response. I have to agree on your entire post.

But the photo you added got me in a total shock. I really love USA and during my lifetime I have met people from east to west. Most of them meeting, when I was living in Thailand. I´m a sucker for good stories and as a person I am just curious about your culture. Although I have never really got an satisfied answer why Americans never take of their shoes while entering their beds.

When I think of USA and all the good stories I have collected, it baffles me that a inspirational source of safety (not with the current president) and know-how of myriads of things, the same country can inhabit, for me very extreme ideas of how to do things.

So, back to the photo. The photo itself is pure culture shock for me. We (Sweden) could not have this kind of big areas, housing hundreds of inmates in the same room. And certainly not sleeping together! What happens if they start to fight? Do you actually have manpower to take them on if all them decided to jump the guards? Is this the norm in all prisons? Or is it an emergency solution because of over crowded prisons?

I have more questions, but this will do for now.

Thanks again!

The USA is a place with an amazing amount of opportunity to better yourself and your economic circumstances no matter who you are, but you have to take on that responsibility yourself.

The USA is not a place where we handhold and walk you through it. This causes a lot of lower class/poor, bad choices, and crime that goes along with it in society when people aren't willing to help themselves and make good choices.

There is help in the USA for those that are willing to help themselves, but society here does not care about anyone who isn't willing to take the initiative.

Anyone in the USA who applies themselves and makes good life choices can have an excellent life. Doesn't matter where you start, how poor etc.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back