Michael Biehn confirms Kurt Russel did NOT direct Tombstone

View attachment 1025777

The no scene was corny. And Russell and Elliott are too ridged in their roles. It would have been more entertaining if they were looser in their mannerism, which they excel at in other films (especially Elliott). Beyond that, it's great.

Dana Delany is a goddess.

I thought Kurt Russell and Sam Elliott played well off of each other. They seemed like two characters raised by the same father and Paxton was the one who was a little more fun and free...and honestly you can't really cast Bill Paxton and put shackles on his energy. Wyatt being rigid made for a bit of an arc when Delaney broke through it slightly. Not that it was one of the all time great film romances in history but it worked. It was better than just the usual token obligatory romance sideplot. Also the more rigid Wyatt is the more he contrasts with Kilmer's Doc.

It also played off well against Michael Biehn and Powers Boothe having the same contrast but in different roles. Biehn was the rigid humorless underboss whereas Boothe was in charge but acted more like an evil version of Doc.

Not everyone has to like the movie but I think there are defenses to some of the criticisms.

But hey what do I know...I have Young Guns 1 & 2 as the all time great underrated westerns.

I thought Kurt Russell and Sam Elliott played well off of each other. They seemed like two characters raised by the same father and Paxton was the one who was a little more fun and free...and honestly you can't really cast Bill Paxton and put shackles on his energy. Wyatt being rigid made for a bit of an arc when Delaney broke through it slightly. Not that it was one of the all time great film romances in history but it worked. It was better than just the usual token obligatory romance sideplot. Also the more rigid Wyatt is the more he contrasts with Kilmer's Doc.

It also played off well against Michael Biehn and Powers Boothe having the same contrast but in different roles. Biehn was the rigid humorless underboss whereas Boothe was in charge but acted more like an evil version of Doc.

Not everyone has to like the movie but I think there are defenses to some of the criticisms.

But hey what do I know...I have Young Guns 1 & 2 as the all time great underrated westerns.
Their acting was correct from a realism perspective. It was probably closer to how the Earps and co. looked and sounded than even the James Garner film, when westerns were still popular. Russell and Elliott could have followed Kilmer's lead and taken a liberty here and there with their characters without it being a major risk to the movie. It doesn't bother me personally. The film is great the way it is.

I have a few westerns above Young Guns 1 & 2. The first is a certifiable classic with Palance and Sheen, the soundtrack and the quotes. Haven't seen it in a few years, but I may have the second being slightly better overall with performances from William Peterson, Cogburn, and Viggo Mortenson.

Their acting was correct from a realism perspective. It was probably closer to how the Earps and co. looked and sounded than even the James Garner film, when westerns were still popular. Russell and Elliott could have followed Kilmer's lead and taken a liberty here and there with their characters without it being a major risk to the movie. It doesn't bother me personally. The film is great the way it is.

I have a few westerns above Young Guns 1 & 2. The first is a certifiable classic with Palance and Sheen, the soundtrack and the quotes. Haven't seen it in a few years, but I may have the second being slightly better overall with performances from William Peterson, Cogburn, and Viggo Mortenson.

Yeah I have Young Guns 2 slightly ahead of the first one. The score for the first movie is very good, but the second should have been up for Oscars in my view. The new cast added did quite a good job, those you mentioned as well as everyone from Christian Slater to Scott Wilson to Robert Knepper to Leon Rippy. It's like Tombstone in the way it is loaded with respected character actors, some of whom went on to become quite recognizable to the general public like Viggo and Knepper. Young Guns 2 might be the best Lou Diamond performance, is almost surely the best Emilio Estevez performance...and it has one of the first ballot hall of fame movie deaths.

Yeah it's one of the corniest westerns I've ever seen with some laughably bad scenes and dialogue (Kilmer was awesome though). Even when I saw it for the first time as a kid I thought it was lame (And I was very forgiving as a kid, and gave movies like Escape from LA a pass)

It is unless you watch some of John Wayne's stupid shit. That stuff is retardedly corny. Kilmer and Ringo make the movie worth watching. It is a weird mix of cool scenes with forgettable stuff. I can't even tell you what happens in the movie specifically but I think I know ever Doc Holiday scene.

Reactions: Zer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back