Michael Chiesa's appeal to the Oklahoma SAC has officially been denied

Athletic commissions are all dirty anyways, Chiesa, just like Justine Kish, had a good chance of breaking out of that choke. Fucking Mario needs to be banned forever. And the UFC should never hold another event in Oklahoma unless they change some rules. It's not like Kevin Lee is some submission wizard like Maia, so his choke probably wasn't very tight.

at the point the ref stopped that fight...cheisa's arms stopped moving and he stopped trying to defend the choke...ie...he was out...

Man, Chiesa laying an egg against Kevin Lee.

Punched at Press Conference, #REKT in fight, BTFO in ref protest.

0-3 CONFIRMED

kevin-lee-ufc-fight-night-71-media-day.jpg

Athletic commissions are all dirty anyways, Chiesa, just like Justine Kish, had a good chance of breaking out of that choke. Fucking Mario needs to be banned forever. And the UFC should never hold another event in Oklahoma unless they change some rules. It's not like Kevin Lee is some submission wizard like Maia, so his choke probably wasn't very tight.

upload_2017-7-20_15-0-24.png

Good chance? Dude was locked in deep on that choke. Slightly early stoppage but Chiesa was going lights out if he didn't tap. The current most over-hyped controversy right now.

SACs never admit wrongdoing ever ever ever, it's disheartening

In this case...He had absolutely no case...his arms went limp...he had no chance of getting out, cause he stopped trying to get out..hence, he was old cold.

. And the UFC should never hold another event in Oklahoma unless they change some rules. It's not like Kevin Lee is some submission wizard like Maia, so his choke probably wasn't very tight.

Pffft . . .

Chiesa, just like Justine Kish, had a good chance of breaking out of that choke.

Breaking out!? C'mon now...
He wasn't even moving, let alone trying to break out.
His hands were hanging limp, like the flippers of a dead seal.

The only thing that could have saved him was the bell, and I don't think that was going to happen.

usa_today_10131689.0.jpg

Last edited:
In this case...He had absolutely no case...his arms went limp...he had no chance of getting out, cause he stopped trying to get out..hence, he was old cold.
He never checked if chiesa was limp...you don't stop fights before a tap by judging whether or not it's tight

Really, so they are actually calling Lee having his arms tightly around Mike's neck and Mike falling asleep a submission win for Lee. This really is bullshit.

not to beat a dead horse but Chiesa went limp for a second; choke was released, blood went back to his brain and he woke up. He was out.

I think you mean "not to repeat Kevin Lee fanboy talking points but..."

Show me another example of a fighter in a choke who was considered "out" by the ref who immediately jumped up and started talking to the ref the moment the contest was stopped.

MC wasn't out and didn't tap. Anyone who would declare this a "good" stoppage is either trolling or brain damaged.

If this call wasn't overturned by SAC then no call should ever be. The bar could not possibly be any lower. Yamalamadingdong's call in this fight should be used in the Bad Calls 101 training video at every MMA officiators training school.

Why do fighters even bother with this? Have there ever been a successful fight outcome overturned?? Like ever?
Yeah , the chick that's going to fight Cyborg for the title had her loss overturned because the ref made a stupid call.

Maldonado - Fedor
It was never overturned, it's still a win on Fedor's record.

It's good that they denied his appeal, he was pretty much done at that point. Not to mention that Lee was in control of pretty much the whole fight. Chiesa had one good moment on the feet, and that was all. Kevin was the superior man that night, and it showed.

Show me another example of a fighter in a choke who was considered "out" by the ref who immediately jumped up and started talking to the ref the moment the contest was stopped.

MC wasn't out and didn't tap. Anyone who would declare this a "good" stoppage is either trolling or brain damaged.

If this call wasn't overturned by SAC then no call should ever be. The bar could not possibly be any lower. Yamalamadingdong's call in this fight should be used in the Bad Calls 101 training video at every MMA officiators training school.
Lol, so everyone that disagrees with you is a Kevin Lee fanboy? No one can 100% say for sure on either side, only Michael knows, but he was getting worked.

On the one hand, I'm glad that Lee is credited with the win - that choke was in tight, and it was just a matter of time. On the other hand, I'm not happy that tge Athletic Commission is giving Yamasaki a free pass - I'm not saying he should be fined/suspended, but they could at least acknowledge that there was an early stoppage.

It was a bullshit stoppage and it made me sick to my stomach listening to all the Yamasaki apologists on here defending it. It's not like he had been on the end of an extensive beating and was shown mercy from a tko, he was choked for about 3 seconds, didn't tap, and it got stopped because Mario shit the bed again.

Sicknto your stomach? Oh my. I hope you're feeling better after this grand tragedy, I'll say a prayer for you before bed tonight.

He never checked if chiesa was limp...you don't stop fights before a tap by judging whether or not it's tight

I actually went back and rewatched the fight again...I noticed that Cheisa looked up at the clock..so he knew the round was coming to an end...I think he stopped fighting the choke, to just let the round end..which is what he said...It was stopped a bit too early...

It's not because we're Kevin Lee fanboys. Was it an early stoppage? Most likely yes. It's just that there are many of us that don't feel it changed the outcome. It was early by at most a couple of seconds and Chiesa was not getting out of that choke. If anything his position was getting worse, he went from fighting it to not fighting it. Choke was deep, there's nothing dirty here. This was not a career defining loss for Chiesa. No one should be "gut wrenched" or "sick to their stomach" over this. He'll be fine.

Has a single high level grappler sided with Chiesa on this? All I've heard in terms of pro reactions is Seraa confirming that Chiesa was 100% starting to go out and that the stoppage was good.

Back