Michael Jai White Training - Striking with Maximum Power Lesson

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score

Very well articulated lesson from a legit martial artist.

As big fan of Michael Jai White great example to M.A.

Here his training with UFC Ben Saunders ;)

Last edited:

I have always loved this. Kimbo Slice was a humble guy and a good learner, I like that he didn't care at all that MJW had no MMA fights he just learns some valuable lessons. I think on the stand up forum we sometimes scoff at movie star martial artists too much as though there aren't valuable lessons to be learned.

Michael Jai White is a favourite of mine.

The hangar drill for punches seems like it's a really good one - same path out, same path back.

Adding that to my bag of tricks.

I'm a bit surprised nobody reflected on his actual punch, which was dreadful. He seems to be wanting to do a Boxing and Karate style punch both at the same time and ends up doing neither.

I feel like I’m the only one who thinks this dude is not qualified to teach anything but tma

It's actually good content, everything he's says is accurate. He's not another Master Wong scam.

seems more knowledgeable about the physics of punching than half the boxing coaches i have seen. people don't seem realise that a lot of the things that boxing coaches teach about punching is more about defence and not force generation.

I'm a bit surprised nobody reflected on his actual punch, which was dreadful. He seems to be wanting to do a Boxing and Karate style punch both at the same time and ends up doing neither.
i'm pretty sure someone that was constantly winning punching contests knows how to punch. also i believe the best punch is somewhere between the boxers punch and the karate man's punch.

Something you don't see allot in UFC fighters..........

The range (or better yet, the ma-ai or measure in HEMA) is of boxing. Try standing that close to a top-grade wrestler or leg kicker and you're toast. MMA fighters have a lot of range to cover and guard cuz the options are too many. That's why GSP battered many faces with a single lunge punch: his power at closing the distance, height and arm length and good judgment helped him enter the measure and have some effect to cover him enough during exit.

I think he did that to emphasize the importance of going straight... Obviously you don't punch like that when you box, the gloves alone would make it fairly difficult. And he's right when he says that a lot of people generate force the wrong way. He's giving good pointers for beginners, its nothing for advanced athletes.

However the first thing I thought was when Larry Holmes was on guest on Johnny Nelson years ago where he demonstrated how he threw the jab:

holmesjabdemonstration.gif

So one of the best jabbers in human history does pretty much what MJW says not to do..

Worth mentioning as well this guy came from a kyokushin background - which is all bareknuckle punching, all the time.

Also has a black belt in Shotokan, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Wushu and Kobudo. What he says in particular about fist alignment is very true, I've been doing a bit of work without boxing gloves recently and alignment is really important. Back in the day boxers used to use bag gloves but I've barely seen them since I started training.

However the first thing I thought was when Larry Holmes was on guest on Johnny Nelson years ago where he demonstrated how he threw the jab:

holmesjabdemonstration.gif

So one of the best jabbers in human history does pretty much what MJW says not to do..

Worth mentioning that it wasn't Larry Holmes form that made his jab good, it was the way he played about with the timing of the jab. His form wasn't perfect by any means but he was smart with how he threw his jab which was how it landed.

Also, a jab is not a straight, and isn't often used as a power punch. You can use a flicking jab like that as a distraction and to clear the way for your rear hand punch.

But even so, a lot of coaches will tell you that the basic jab should be straight out, straight in. Hell, look at the Ike Quartey video Sinister's linked in the Magical Jabs thread - straight out, straight in.

Heres the video, and the jab part starts at 20:15

Back