Michigan will require people to work for their food stamps starting Oct. 1st

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
Michigan saw its lowest unemployment rate in nearly nine years as it dropped to 4.3 percent in July 2018. That means the state can no longer claim a federal work exemption for those receiving food assistance.

If you're between 18 and 49 years old, have no dependents and aren't disabled or otherwise exempt, you will have to be employed if you want to keep your benefits. They will have three months to find a job or lose their benefits. All new applicants will be subjected to work requirements immediately.

What sort of work qualifies?
There are three forms of work that meet the requirements:

I'm on board with this. I have no problem with social service programs for people in need, but this should help for those that want to abuse the system.​

Should always be this way IMO. The unemployed get on the job training and work experience in exchange for their benefits/welfare/food stamps, and not for profit organisations/charities get much needed helping hands. It can also help the long term "unemployable" actually improve their work ethic and become employable again.

The only problem is when you let large, multinational corporations take advantage of this, like what happened here (in Britain) to, in essence, allow them to get free workers covering roles they clearly could be paying somebody to do.

That's good. This does not affect people with dependents, it only effects people that should already be working and taking care of themselves.

What kind of heartless program would make someone pay for their food?

I might be mistaken, but I dont think this is "new" policy but a return to pre GFC policy. I believe the requirements were laxed during the GFC when there just weren't enough jobs.

I could be wrong, I'm not from Michigan.

Cool!

They should also make corporate welfare cucks pick up trash on the side of the highway and change shitty diapers in hospices

That's good. This does not affect people with dependents, it only effects people that should already be working and taking care of themselves.
wait so we are forcing people to take care of themselves? lets do it

2 Thessalonians 3

10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

interesting. in theory this is a great idea, unfortunately some people blame others for their situations and will to do nothing to help themselves while continuing to make excuses why they can't get a job...

Texas needs this.

Tired of seeing folks buy Tuna Poke salad at Albertsons with a gotdamn EBT card while I have to decide if I really NEED that big bottle from the vape shop or this.

A good way to stamp out the lazy!

Most-Liquor-Stores-Throughout-U.S.-Now-Accepting-Food-Stamps.jpg
:p

Sure nice idea but you have to make sure people have readily accessible work, training, or NPO. That likely means good reliable public transit

Texas needs this.

Tired of seeing folks buy Tuna Poke salad at Albertsons with a gotdamn EBT card while I have to decide if I really NEED that big bottle from the vape shop or this.

Well you never need to vape so...

Cool!

They should also make corporate welfare cucks pick up trash on the side of the highway and change shitty diapers in hospices

Agreed. The parks in my city need a lot of work. There are areas where some streets are littered with garbage too. Grafitti is a problem in some of these areas also. I'd like to see lots of these corporate welfare babies out and giving back.

These types of ideas work fine in times of plenty. If we hit another recession, this will be a shit show and really harm those in need. Most Americans are less than a month away from being broke, adding extra requirements to get emergency assistance, is not as great as it sounds, imo.

Let's do an example, an unskilled worker is making $23 an hour in a factory. One day they get laid off or fired. Now instead of being able to look for a compatible job, which they may not find, they have to take the first $10. I know all sherdoggers make super bank and are independently wealthy, but most Americans would suffer drastically losing over half of their pay.

Before I get the guys saying they can keep looking and work the other job, I just want you guys to know that it is a lot harder, than it is to type it out on a forum. Just try to understand why we have these programs, I believe it's better to have some scumbags getting a free ride, than it is to deny those in need.

Back