Micro USB cables always failing

if you guys are really going through them about 1 per month, consider buying through amazon since their returns are super easy and free and you get 1 month return period with amazon.

you can get a 3 pack for 9.50, a 2 pack for 7$.

Google: Micro USB Cable, Redlink 10 Feet Extra Long Micro USB to USB 2.0 Cable, A Male to Micro B Charge and Sync Cord for Android/Windows/MP3/Camera and Other Device(3 Pack, Carbon Black)

or

Micro USB Cable Android Charger - Syncwire [2-Pack 3.3 ft] Super-Durable Nylon-Braided Android Charging Cord for Samsung, Kindle, HTC, Nexus, LG, Sony, Xbox, PS4, Smartphones - Space Gray

those manufacturers also have longer warranty periods, but those usually dont mean much since you usually have to pay for the shipping yourself

also, consider it might be because yall do use the cords too gently at times or something? one a month seems pretty abnormal

Almost any cable or adapter at Best Buy can cost you $30, but half price elsewhere. I almost bought a Qualcomm USB charging adapter at Best Buy for $29, but found a closer match for what I needed for $9 at Home Depot.
man i cant even remember the last time i had to buy a cable. phones or bluetooth earbuds always come with one and ive only had one or two break ever so i actually have quite a few extra.

Last edited:
My wife and I are losing our minds. We are each going through a USB cord a month on average. They all fail, they are all garbage. I've tried so many different brands, braided, flat, round, doesn't matter. Eventually all of them loosen and the connector seems to break from it's solder point and we've got to twist the cable around our phones to find a spot where it actually connects.

Anyone else having usb cable problems? What do you do?

It's getting expensive. I'm debating going on Amazon or similar and ordering a bunch of cables or maybe getting a docking station. I don't feel like changing phones. I have 10/10 LG G4 and my wife has an 8 or 9/10 Note 5. Both still work great.

I'm just venting but also looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same and has any ideas.

Cheers

Same here. I Just go on AliExpress and buy 'em ten at a time. When im on my last one i order new.

Dash as in vehicle?

They have car ones that are magnetic wireless chargers, I think they might require a case.

41X3DiczwmL.jpg

Mhmmmmmm..... not bad.

I may pick one up on Black Friday if I see a decent price.

Though, the suction cup, I'm not a fan of. Those are of questionable quality and can easily fall off constantly.

When in the actual fuck are they going to deploy wireless electricity.

Derrrrr parity derrrr telsa derrrrr singularity derrr

My wife and I are losing our minds. We are each going through a USB cord a month on average. They all fail, they are all garbage. I've tried so many different brands, braided, flat, round, doesn't matter. Eventually all of them loosen and the connector seems to break from it's solder point and we've got to twist the cable around our phones to find a spot where it actually connects.

Anyone else having usb cable problems? What do you do?

It's getting expensive. I'm debating going on Amazon or similar and ordering a bunch of cables or maybe getting a docking station. I don't feel like changing phones. I have 10/10 LG G4 and my wife has an 8 or 9/10 Note 5. Both still work great.

I'm just venting but also looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same and has any ideas.

Cheers
It could be your device is breaking the chord. Some of the device ports are faulty and add strain to the good sub port and cable. I've heard it before.

Yes, they all fail, but not monthly. I think it's because people use them plugged in, which bends/puts pressure on the connector. Youre suppose to charge/lay flat/not use.

get a phone with wireless charging before your G4 boot loops..
Already had the boot loop. Sent it to LG and they replaced the motherboard for free and had it back at my door in less then a week. :)

believe it or not this worked. Tried it on a few older cables I have that haven't worked for a long time and blamo they are charging again!

It is odd. My buddy has this same issue, but I have plenty of micro-usb devices and am still using the original charging cables they arrived with with no issue.

My Kindle Fire goes through cables a lot. Thing is, the cables are still good for everything but the Kindle Fire. My Original, first gen fire had the same problem. I think the little claws need to be super tight.

Yes, they all fail, but not monthly. I think it's because people use them plugged in, which bends/puts pressure on the connector. Youre suppose to charge/lay flat/not use.
i use mine while charged all the time and still have broken like two in my whole life

Just make your own:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-fci/10118192-0001LF/609-4613-2-ND/2785387
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0480372200/WM3983CT-ND/2421836

Buy some wire, heat shrink, snake skin, solder it up and use epoxy to pot your connectors. Make them as rugged as you want and adjust your design until something lasts.

Defeated by cheap wires? Said no true sherdogger ever. I can't believe someone who's 6'5 and benching 275 would even suggest such a thing.

Just make your own:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-fci/10118192-0001LF/609-4613-2-ND/2785387
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0480372200/WM3983CT-ND/2421836

Buy some wire, heat shrink, snake skin, solder it up and use epoxy to pot your connectors. Make them as rugged as you want and adjust your design until something lasts.

Defeated by cheap wires? Said no true sherdogger ever. I can't believe someone who's 6'5 and benching 275 would even suggest such a thing.
Thanks for the links. I'll save them. For now I did what the guy in the video above did and suddenly I have 6 working fast charging USB cables again lol.

Also I'm only 5'11 and 220. I'm no match for cheap wires. They kicked my ass. Just look.
vincemugsham2.jpg

its fucked one minute theyre working then nothing, even if theyre not broken, the iphone ones break at the end and the wires get exposed.
i tried sugru and its great

sugru-packshot-af3c8a2975e2cd445ad234c0db769cad43e176eab7f16103e75b80d25d39bbda.png

CRO_Home_Appliance_Sugru_opener_032715
Can also use a spring from an old ink pen to achieve similar results.

Hi...I just had an official lightning cable fail after 13 months. It wasn't the connector part that failed that worked fine. it was the part where the cable meets the connecter it got worn from the angle that I had it at. Just went into the apple store with the cable they took it and grabbed me a new one off the shelf. In and out in 30 seconds.

Hi...I just had an official lightning cable fail after 13 months. It wasn't the connector part that failed that worked fine. it was the part where the cable meets the connecter it got worn from the angle that I had it at. Just went into the apple store with the cable they took it and grabbed me a new one off the shelf. In and out in 30 seconds.

You created an account on an MMA forum to revive a 2 year old thread about cables?

You created an account on an MMA forum to revive a 2 year old thread about cables?

Yea it fucked me up. I tried to like my own post #27 and then realized I liked it because it was something I posted 2 years ago.

They just replaced it free?

I'm sorta conscious of the angle of the cable vs. connector when I'm using iPad while charging. I had mine for years and still works.

Back