Microsoft could soon pass Apple in market cap.

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
In what could be an interesting turn of events is Microsoft is on a tear where Apple is creeping downward. Microsoft under current CEO embraced open-source and cloud computing.

Opened up their API's for development. Increase hardware development an massive increase in cloud computing. Where others are fighting over standards like containers, virtual machines, storage API''s an others Microsoft development a pretty elegant an simplified approach.

Top it off they introduced a way for developing without cost software over the cloud for commercial applications. You don't need at first to pay them but they lock you in when it's time to roll your project out. Really quite effective business model.

It will be interesting how this plays out when AI applications start to appear an augmented reality hardware devices be commercialized for consumers.

If it was up to me Apple would've never made a penny, I'm a PC/Microsoft guy to the grave.

That's pretty shocking considering how far they seemed to fall during Steve Ballmer's tenure. From what I've seen Nadella has focused on their strengths rather than tried to follow the lead of other companies (zune, windows phone).

If it was up to me Apple would've never made a penny, I'm a PC/Microsoft guy to the grave.

I will only briefly became a Apple guy years ago an got out. The reason why Apple took off was their ecosystem between their devices.

It was relatively easy to connect an share devices Microsoft took years to close that gap while trying to open up their platform. Apple in the early an mid 2000's put on a Clinic on how to tie users to their ecosystem.

From a work perspective office 365 has made my life a shit tone easier.

That's pretty shocking considering how far they seemed to fall during Steve Ballmer's tenure. From what I've seen Nadella has focused on their strengths rather than tried to follow the lead of other companies (zune, windows phone).
Nadella brought them back to their core mission but openness help with gaining a lot of cloud computing business a ton of it.

I've had Napster since it first came out.

giphy.gif

Office 365 and Azure are killing it. Apple is regulated to making expensive toys for people who think student loans are free money.

Office 365 and Azure are killing it. Apple is regulated to making expensive toys for people who think student loans are free money.

Microsoft done a great job at the back office space where Apple's efforts have an still is weak. They at around 2011 or so signed a landmark deal with IBM that was to get them into big iron server space an cloud computing as well as sell tons of Mac computers to business customers.

It gave them a small lift but did not solve their problems. Microsoft went the open source route after Ballmer left an signed deals with Red Hat "who just got bought out by IBM for 32 billion" Ubuntu, some open source cloud companies to share their API's. At the time people where wondering what is Microsoft doing giving up? It turned out that Azure made it easy to run you virtual machine on top of it with your cloud app. Without being forced into a complete Microsoft solution.

Microsoft was the original corporate bully who really took advantage of near monopoly like products (Windows & MS Office) and tried to force you to use both hardware and software that would only play nice with their products.

I used to hate MS, despite using it, with the passion of a burning Sun. I relished the day true competition would emerge and they would fall.

Well it is interesting seeing them change since they lost their grip on the market and real competition started to emerge in most areas. They have now become a relatively good corporate citizen and they are being rewarded for it with volunteer loyalty as opposed to the compelled loyalty they used to try and enforce prior.

I wish more companies would learn this lesson.

Ballmer had quite a few fucks up. Not taking the iPhone and android seriously are 2 of the most important ones.

I wonder if they will every try another mobile OS.

Maybe, but a quarter of Berkshire Hathaway's portfolio, now, is Apple stock. Just saw that headline today. Gossip ensues about Warren possibly losing his edge, but my presumption is that he is very confident something is about to materialize that I don't see, or understand.

Still, it will require something unforeseen because Apple's current course is for the shallows. Jumped over to an article about the Mac Mini from that one, and I was reminded why I despise the Apple tech press. The way they cover Apple products is so steeped in fanboyism they're blind to what is unfolding in front of them. With the launch of products at last month's show they destroyed the logic of their separate laptop lines, and they doubled down on the "just charge them more, they'll pay anything" strategy first (successfully) adopted to their iPhone X, and now extended to the new MacOS hardware.:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...tling-and-performance-in-the-2018-i7-mac-mini
Apple's Mac Mini is still the most inexpensive way to get a Mac, even though the base price is $300 more than the base model from 2014. Given the inclusion of four Thunderbolt 3 ports, it's a difficult compare to the cheapest Wintel hardware, and is price and performance competitive with Intel's NUC hardware for the first time. The six-core Core i7 processor can be had for as low as $1099, and we feel that this model will be very popular in the scientific community, and for users not afraid to add external storage and add their own RAM.

No, it's not difficult to compare, and no, it isn't remotely competitive. The thing that pisses me off is that he's suggesting the price gap is getting better when it's getting worse every year with each new Apple release. The new Mac Mini pricing is vomit-inducing. Maybe this author would realize that if he took enough care to notice the i5 model is available for $1099 while the i7 model actually starts at $1299. Derp. BTW, you could match this i5 base build spec for spec (minus two of those Thunderbolt ports) in a NUC unit including Windows 10 Home for $679. That's a 61% markup on the base hardware.

You'll also want that base model. Oh, they restored the ability to install RAM? Syke! Building a PC from scratch requires fewer tools, is less complicated, less fickle, and less risky than merely installing RAM in one of these things:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/yes-its-possible-to-upgrade-a-2018-mac-minis-ram-no-its-not-easy/
Don't worry. It's only going to cost you $200 for every 8GB RAM you want to add. That runs $55-$60 for NUC builders, and has been as low as $30 when SODIMM DDR4 RAM prices have been at their best.

It's just depressing to see Apple reduced to price gouging as a business strategy, and even more depressing to read articles that indicate this strategy (at least in the short term) is working.
*relegated
Ballmer had quite a few fucks up. Not taking the iPhone and android seriously are 2 of the most important ones.

I wonder if they will every try another mobile OS.
No, makes no sense for them. They've already yoked their desktop to mobile. Windows 10 is touchscreen on touchscreen-capable devices. It may not be nearly as robust as iOS on tablets, but even Apple has to envy this. They're trying to figure out a bridge between their iPads and MacBooks. That's why they keep trying to pitch their iPad Pro as a "laptop killer". That was the plan for that line since Day 1. Still a failure.

Meanwhile, Windows is already there. Their challenge is continuing to develop the "Tablet Mode" while broadening sales of the Surface Pro product lines that encourage its use.

Last edited:
Maybe, but a quarter of Berkshire Hathaway's portfolio, now, is Apple stock. Just saw that headline today. Gossip ensues about Warren possibly losing his edge, but my presumption is that he is very confident something is about to materialize that I don't see, or understand.

Still, it will require something unforeseen because Apple's current course is for the shallows. Jumped over to an article about the Mac Mini from that one, and I was reminded why I despise the Apple tech press. The way they cover Apple products is so steeped in fanboyism they're blind to what is unfolding in front of them. With the launch of products at last month's show they destroyed the logic of their separate laptop lines, and they doubled down on the "just charge them more, they'll pay anything" strategy first (successfully) adopted to their iPhone X, and now extended to the new MacOS hardware.:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...tling-and-performance-in-the-2018-i7-mac-mini
Apple's Mac Mini is still the most inexpensive way to get a Mac, even though the base price is $300 more than the base model from 2014. Given the inclusion of four Thunderbolt 3 ports, it's a difficult compare to the cheapest Wintel hardware, and is price and performance competitive with Intel's NUC hardware for the first time. The six-core Core i7 processor can be had for as low as $1099, and we feel that this model will be very popular in the scientific community, and for users not afraid to add external storage and add their own RAM.

No, it's not difficult to compare, and no, it isn't remotely competitive. The thing that pisses me off is that he's suggesting the price gap is getting better when it's getting worse every year with each new Apple release. The new Mac Mini pricing is vomit-inducing. Maybe this author would realize that if he took enough care to notice the i5 model is available for $1099 while the i7 model actually starts at $1299. Derp. BTW, you could match this i5 base build spec for spec (minus two of those Thunderbolt ports) in a NUC unit including Windows 10 Home for $679. That's a 61% markup on the base hardware.

You'll also want that base model. Oh, they restored the ability to install RAM? Syke! Building a PC from scratch requires fewer tools, is less complicated, less fickle, and less risky than merely installing RAM in one of these things:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/yes-its-possible-to-upgrade-a-2018-mac-minis-ram-no-its-not-easy/
Don't worry. It's only going to cost you $200 for every 8GB RAM you want to add. That runs $55-$60 for NUC builders, and has been as low as $30 when SODIMM DDR4 RAM prices have been at their best.

It's just depressing to see Apple reduced to price gouging as a business strategy, and even more depressing to read articles that indicate this strategy (at least in the short term) is working.

*relegated

No, makes no sense for them. They've already yoked their desktop to mobile. Windows 10 is touchscreen on touchscreen-capable devices. It may not be nearly as robust as iOS on tablets, but even Apple has to envy this. They're trying to figure out a bridge between their iPads and MacBooks. That's why they keep trying to pitch their iPad Pro as a "laptop killer". That was the plan for that line since Day 1. Still a failure.

Meanwhile, Windows is already there. Their challenge is continuing to develop the "Tablet Mode" while broadening sales of the Surface Pro product lines that encourage its use.

Yes but investment community also thought that he had inside knowledge about IBM with his then 32 billion dollar investment in IBM. He ended up dropping that investment after quarter after quarter of disastrous quarterly reports by IBM. He seems more metoo then forward thinking in his investment. Outside of his huge win in Chinese electric car company BYD that looks like investment of the year he has shown little else in the technology area.

He does not believe in early stage technology investment unlike VC's do in Silicon Valley. He likes blue chip long term investment with steady returns. People like Coca-Cola an trucking an train investments are his bread an butter giving him steady long-term investment returns.

Apple looks like it's going to drop a giant duce on his investment at least for sometime. It looks like Tim Cook is suffering a little from metoo movement that Warren leads. Apple throwing more an more money at leadership from other companies like Tesla, OpenAI, Google Waymo an Amazon. Running to play catch up with their development work.

Tim Cook admitted that Google has the best search engine solution an Apple will continue to use it.

Amazon will pass Microsoft again for 2nd place. The bigger news is MSFT passing Amazon as #2.

Same thing happened last year. Apple went down and Buffet bought. Then it exploded again.

You can see his portfolio here. It is mostly banks/financials.

https://www.gurufocus.com/guru/warren+buffett/stock-picks

Last edited:
Yes but investment community also thought that he had inside knowledge about IBM with his then 32 billion dollar investment in IBM. He ended up dropping that investment after quarter after quarter of disastrous quarterly reports by IBM. He seems more metoo then forward thinking in his investment. Outside of his huge win in Chinese electric car company BYD that looks like investment of the year he has shown little else in the technology area.

He does not believe in early stage technology investment unlike VC's do in Silicon Valley. He likes blue chip long term investment with steady returns. People like Coca-Cola an trucking an train investments are his bread an butter giving him steady long-term investment returns.

Apple looks like it's going to drop a giant duce on his investment at least for sometime. It looks like Tim Cook is suffering a little from metoo movement that Warren leads. Apple throwing more an more money at leadership from other companies like Tesla, OpenAI, Google Waymo an Amazon. Running to play catch up with their development work.

Tim Cook admitted that Google has the best search engine solution an Apple will continue to use it.

I don't know what you are talking about with this Me Too shit but Buffet was buying Apple when tards like you were saying it was dead last year.

Apple also has better AI car tech than Tesla and stole a ton of talent from them. Big project. Though it isn't hard to beat Tesla in AI as they rank dead last.

What innovations has msft had lately? Don't say the cloud, Amazon is beating them there.

Last edited:
The reason MSFT isn't as down as other big tech is because nobody is going after it anymore. Everyone from America to China to Europe is fuckin Apple, Amazon, Google and FB over.

As somebody said, buy a company even an idiot can run because some day one will. It shows how good a company MSFT is that they can survive bad leadership. Great companies can survive poor management.

MSFT is a great stock and company. I'm just talking shit because the OP is. Buffett has said he would own MSFT but it would be a conflict of interest because Gates is a close friend and on his Board. I don't know if that makes sense though. He would know better than me.

I guess this explains why Microsofts game division is making it rain this year by buying up 6 game studios and starting a brand new one just this year.

Back