Mid-air Collusion (Mueller Thread v. 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conspiracy, similar to obstruction, requires an underlying crime. To construe a mere solicitation of information as "conspiracy" in the absence of an underlying offense against the United States would be a huge stretch, certainly unprecedented in case law.

Also, the right to solicit information need not be grounded in the First Amendment. The Ninth Amendment works too.
A.) you're acting as if there was only a solicitation and not an acquisition of valuable material against Clinton at that meeting is borderline asinine, given how little you and everyone else knows about what Mueller has.

B.) You can conspire to commit a crime Columbo...you don't have to commit a crime in the end.

Thanks. The meeting occurred in the middle.

So, I'll assume the events went as 1) Some hacking - gained some dirt. 2) Meeting with that dirt and an offer to get more. 3) More hacking for more dirt.
That's my reading of the events as well. I also assume that's when they truly began cooperating with one another in terms of timing, location, etc. for dissemination of information. Including the prioritization of certain states and counties over others.

Thanks. The meeting occurred in the middle.

So, I'll assume the events went as 1) Some hacking - gained some dirt. 2) Meeting with that dirt and an offer to get more. 3) More hacking for more dirt.

Pretty much. The only question is whether Trump or them wanted more dirt and knew how they were getting the info. Russia would have continued hacking the DNC regardless if Trump wanted them to or not.

you're acting as if there was only a solicitation and not an acquisition of valuable material against Clinton at that meeting is borderline asinine

That never happened. But by all means, strawman away!

You can conspire to commit a crime Columbo...you don't have to commit a crime in the end.

Never did I claim otherwise. I said there must be an underlying crime, not that the underlying crime must be completed.

Pretty much. The only question is whether Trump or them wanted more dirt and knew how they were getting the info. Russia would have continued hacking the DNC regardless if Trump wanted them to or not.

When we say Trump, do we mean Sr. or Jr.? I think that given the timing "Russia, if you're listening..." is a pretty solid tell that Trump Sr. knew that something was going on, even if I don't know exactly how much he knew.

When we say Trump, do we mean Sr. or Jr.? I think that given the timing "Russia, if you're listening..." is a pretty solid tell that Trump Sr. knew that something was going on, even if I don't know exactly how much he knew.
Oh of course he knew
Anyone that thinks otherwise is either unbelievably naive or hopelessly retarded.
Why in God's name would he not know what's going on in his own campaign, in his own damn building, dealing specifically with his bitter rival, especially since his actual family was fully integrated into the process?
It beggars the imagination to think that he didn't know.

Oh of course he knew
Anyone that thinks otherwise is either unbelievably naive or hopelessly retarded.
Why in God's name would he not know what's going on in his own campaign, in his own damn building, dealing specifically with his bitter rival, especially since his actual family was fully integrated into the process?
Because he doesn't even understand time zones how the hell could he understand the geopolitical clusterfuck that is Russian interference

Oh of course he knew
I'm doing my best here to not call them complete fucking idiots, work with me here, lol. Of course he knew. He probably listened to the bare bones details said it sounds great and greenlighted the whole thing. Then his narcissistic self couldn't stop himself from referencing it on national fucking television.

That never happened. But by all means, strawman away!

Never did I claim otherwise. I said there must be an underlying crime, not that the underlying crime must be completed.
So then we're not arguing. Wait for the non partisan special counsel report.

Carlson
: What's the lesson of the firing of Peter Stzrok for the rest of us?

Dershowitz: Personally I'm sympathetic to Stzrok. He was an excellent FBI agent for years in counter-intelliegence. He made a very serious mistake. The mistake was not opposing Trump. He's allowed to do that under the Hatch Act and other statues. He's allowed to express any views he wants. His big mistake was not recusing himself. When he was texting that he was going to make sure Trump wouldn't become president, that he has an "insurance policy", it was clear at that point that he could not be perceived as fair and just. So by not recusing himself, he violated his position of trust. I wouldn't go too far and blame it on the very top authorities of the FBI. They didn't know and when they did know, they demoted him and took him off the investigation. I think it's a blemish but I don't think it's a fatal flaw in the investigation. There are deeper and more fatal flaws. So I have personal sympathy for Stzrok, but ultimately I think it was the right decision.

Carlson: But don't those texts suggest why he didn't recuse himself? It's one thing to express a political opinion, and it's not disqualifying, but he was doing more than that. He was suggesting that his opinions would in some way drive the criminal investigation that he was conducting and that's a subversion of justice.

Dershowitz: Well that's the issue. He of course denied under oath that in any way he was influenced by his hatred of Trump in any of his positions, but when he says to his friend "we're going to stop him, we need an insurance policy" whether there's the reality of interference or the perception of a thumb on the scale that's enough to recuse yourself. That's why Rod Rosenstein should recuse himself. He is a witness in this case and the idea that you can be the chief prosecutor and the main witness at the same time is such an obvious conflict of interest that I don't understand how we can continue to go forward running this investigation. So we have at least two major conflicts of interest and I think it does raise some questions about the integrity of the investigation but let's wait and see. Mueller himself I think is non-partisan. I don't think he cares if he helps Republicans or Democrats. He's a zealot, some people say overzealous prosecutor and he's using tactics that I have disapproved of for 50 years, going after Manafort in order to squeeze him to get him to sing or to compose---those are very questionable tactics but they're used over and over again against people, sometimes innocent people.

I'm doing my best here to not call them complete fucking idiots, work with me here, lol. Of course he knew. He probably listened to the bare bones details said it sounds great and greenlighted the whole thing. Then his narcissistic self couldn't stop himself from referencing it on national fucking television.
bingo bango

There was also the timing of his claim they would release dirt on Clinton and when Jr was contacted to meet with the Russians. And it obviously wasn't such a nothingburger you wouldn't even think to mention. "If it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer.”

In b4 "deep state got her"
1387048124168.gif

Manafort's defense rests without calling a single witness.

Man - you guys will absolutely lose your shit if he walks.

Carlson
: What's the lesson of the firing of Peter Stzrok for the rest of us?

Dershowitz: Personally I'm sympathetic to Stzrok. He was an excellent FBI agent for years in counter-intelliegence. He made a very serious mistake. The mistake was not opposing Trump. He's allowed to do that under the Hatch Act and other statues. He's allowed to express any views he wants. His big mistake was not recusing himself. When he was texting that he was going to make sure Trump wouldn't become president, that he has an "insurance policy", it was clear at that point that he could not be perceived as fair and just. So by not recusing himself, he violated his position of trust. I wouldn't go too far and blame it on the very top authorities of the FBI. They didn't know and when they did know, they demoted him and took him off the investigation. I think it's a blemish but I don't think it's a fatal flaw in the investigation. There are deeper and more fatal flaws. So I have personal sympathy for Stzrok, but ultimately I think it was the right decision.

Carlson: But don't those texts suggest why he didn't recuse himself? It's one thing to express a political opinion, and it's not disqualifying, but he was doing more than that. He was suggesting that his opinions would in some way drive the criminal investigation that he was conducting and that's a subversion of justice.

Dershowitz: Well that's the issue. He of course denied under oath that in any way he was influenced by his hatred of Trump in any of his positions, but when he says to his friend "we're going to stop him, we need an insurance policy" whether there's the reality of interference or the perception of a thumb on the scale that's enough to recuse yourself. That's why Rod Rosenstein should recuse himself. He is a witness in this case and the idea that you can be the chief prosecutor and the main witness at the same time is such an obvious conflict of interest that I don't understand how we can continue to go forward running this investigation. So we have at least two major conflicts of interest and I think it does raise some questions about the integrity of the investigation but let's wait and see. Mueller himself I think is non-partisan. I don't think he cares if he helps Republicans or Democrats. He's a zealot, some people say overzealous prosecutor and he's using tactics that I have disapproved of for 50 years, going after Manafort in order to squeeze him to get him to sing or to compose---those are very questionable tactics but they're used over and over again against people, sometimes innocent people.

Are you President of Dershowitz fan club or something?
I mean you quote him an awfully lot. If I see on TV something Dershowitz said, I have to read it again from you on Sherdog.

Oh of course he knew
Yes. Believing Trump didn't know about the meeting is almost as absurd as thinking thinking Strzok wasn't biased.

Manafort's defense rests without calling a single witness.

Man - you guys will absolutely lose your shit if he walks.

His defense is to wait for a presidential pardon, so him walking would hardly be proof of innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back