Middle Earth Shadow of War

Read a few articles saying bosses would become immune/adapt to certain attacks if you just spam the same one. You have to vary everything. Sounds like a cool addition. Still too far away to get hyped but it's on my radar now.

So I've been watching the gameplay previews and something just hit me... I don't see any challenge.

One of the things about my first playthrough of Shadow of Mordor was how damn hard it was, and every time I died the captains leveled up and it got even harder. I had to intelligently plan out my attacks based on their strengths/weaknesses. But by my 2nd playthrough of Mordor, even that became pretty easy. I only died twice throughout my second playthrough, but died a dozen times on my first.

Also, adding to the toughness of the first playthrough, I didn't use the powers that basically turns you into a God... like infinite instant kills for 30 seconds. Swarms of enemies with captains mixed in were extremely challenging, and I died constantly... but I freakin loved it! It fueled my desire for revenge!

That's what made Mordor one of the most unique gaming experiences of my life.

So... I'm watching gameplay vids for Shadow of War, and everything makes it look way too easy. Yeah, I know, they're just demonstrating the product, but the hordes of enemies look like the exact same ones you fought in Mordor. None that pose a unique threat, besides the boss-battle warchiefs.

And the new abilities of the upgrade system appear like you're going to become a 'god of war' way too early in the game, especially with the ice/fire/poison powers.

Anyone else have this concern?

Not really. I like feeling overpowered in games. That's what difficulty settings, new game+ modes etc.. are for, if you are into a super challenge.

Being in my 30's and working full time I don't play games for a challenge anymore, ever. It's more about having fun and kicking ass and experiencing the story and exploring the open worlds.

So I've been watching the gameplay previews and something just hit me... I don't see any challenge.

One of the things about my first playthrough of Shadow of Mordor was how damn hard it was, and every time I died the captains leveled up and it got even harder. I had to intelligently plan out my attacks based on their strengths/weaknesses. But by my 2nd playthrough of Mordor, even that became pretty easy. I only died twice throughout my second playthrough, but died a dozen times on my first.

Also, adding to the toughness of the first playthrough, I didn't use the powers that basically turns you into a God... like infinite instant kills for 30 seconds. Swarms of enemies with captains mixed in were extremely challenging, and I died constantly... but I freakin loved it! It fueled my desire for revenge!

So... I'm watching gameplay vids for Shadow of War, and everything makes it look way too easy. Yeah, I know, they're just demonstrating the product, but the hordes of enemies look like the exact same ones you fought in Mordor. None that pose a unique threat, besides the boss-battle warchiefs.

And the new abilities of the upgrade system appear like you're going to become a 'god of war' way too early in the game, especially with the ice/fire/poison powers.

I can see where you're coming from, but I feel like the fortress parts are mostly the second half of the game. We'll see though, I trust the developers to ride that line. They are probably all ridiculously good at this game by now, some of those boss fights look quite hard outside of their skill. I am pretty psyched for the new loot system, the unlocks look fun. Haven't bought a AAA title on release day since Black Flag, but this might be it.

The purpose of a demo is to show off all the cool shit you can do, not how fruatrating a game is. They likely have it set to God mode or something.

Just got the original for 5 bucks off of the Green Man Gaming sale, I love a hook hack and slash game as long as the pace keeps up and there's enough content/challenge/a good story not bogged down by the current "cinematic gaming" tropes.

and it can go fuck itself

Don't dismiss it immediatley... read the details.

"According to the studio's official announcement, "players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles" through the market to strengthen their army."

"Within Loot Chests, players will find weapons and armor, as well as XP Boosts, which make Talion level up quicker. War Chests contain new Orc followers that will help you strengthen your army, as well as Training Orders, which let you level up and customize your Orcs. Bundles include a combination of Loot Chests, War Chests and XP Boosts together at a package deal.

These items can be acquired by spending Mirian, an in-game currency that you can find stashes of while playing the game. You can also acquire Mirian by taking down Treasure Orcs and destroying gear."

"Players also have the option of purchasing Gold, Shadow of War's other in-game currency, which can be acquired by spending real money. Participating in community challenges and completing specific milestones will earn you Gold as well."

Is it cause for alarm? Yes.

Is it cause for immediatley throwing all interest in the game away? Not yet.

This was worthy of a pre-order and Day One buy, for me, but now I'm going to delay my purchase and pay close attention to the reviewer's opinions of the essential role of microtransactions in the overall experience of the game.

If the game is overly burdensome and time-consuming to encourage the purchase of microtransactions.... that's a fucking dealbreaker... and I'll wait a few years for the GOTY edition, as I did for the first game.

Loot crates for a single player game. There's no getting around it, that's bullshit.

Cynical, robbing twats. Fuck this game.

First they go PC, now this. Very disappointing moves for this hotly anticipated game.

Don't dismiss it immediatley... read the details.

"According to the studio's official announcement, "players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles" through the market to strengthen their army."

"Within Loot Chests, players will find weapons and armor, as well as XP Boosts, which make Talion level up quicker. War Chests contain new Orc followers that will help you strengthen your army, as well as Training Orders, which let you level up and customize your Orcs. Bundles include a combination of Loot Chests, War Chests and XP Boosts together at a package deal.

These items can be acquired by spending Mirian, an in-game currency that you can find stashes of while playing the game. You can also acquire Mirian by taking down Treasure Orcs and destroying gear."

"Players also have the option of purchasing Gold, Shadow of War's other in-game currency, which can be acquired by spending real money. Participating in community challenges and completing specific milestones will earn you Gold as well."

Is it cause for alarm? Yes.

Is it cause for immediatley throwing all interest in the game away? Not yet.

This was worthy of a pre-order and Day One buy, for me, but now I'm going to delay my purchase and pay close attention to the reviewer's opinions of the essential role of microtransactions in the overall experience of the game.

If the game is overly burdensome and time-consuming to encourage the purchase of microtransactions.... that's a fucking dealbreaker... and I'll wait a few years for the GOTY edition, as I did for the first game.

ill wait tell its on sale.

Loot crates for a single player game. There's no getting around it, that's bullshit.

Why?

Cynical, robbing twats. Fuck this game.

It's Optional XP boosts and shit that arent required, can be acquired with in game currency and dont prevent access to content. What's the problem? Just don't use them if you don't want to. It's the equivalent of cheat codes more or less. I don't use them, but I don't give a shit if someone else does.

Back