Middle Earth Shadow of War

I don't know anything about these games other than that they're set in Middle Earth, but these stories sound amazing and I really want to check this out. I'm torn on it though, the microtransactions initially were a total dealbreaker, but it sounds like they've adjusted it due to the backlash. Problem is, the poor microtransaction system is still there and it's still a practice that holds these games back. I can't support that in good conscious. Is it really good enough to throw my morals away for?

Unfortunately, microtransactions are here to stay. From reading a lot of reviews, you don't need to spend any money at all. People had tons of in-game currency, loads of items from the loot crates, etc. Sounds like no big deal at all to me. If I'm truly going to take a stand based on morals, I probably wouldn't play games at all because of the insane crunch nearly every studio goes through especially for AAA titles.

I played the first game for a couple hours tonight and had an epic fight chasing down an orc boss. He kept calling goons in to swarm me and eventually he ran away. I gave chase and after about a minute I caught up and executed him. For the entire fight, the music consisted of some pumping music and his name being chanted over and over, NA-ZUL NA-ZUL NA-ZUL. Everyone says the Nemesis system is even better in Shadow of War and this feature is the real reason to play the game. There's nothing else like it out there and the emergent gameplay that comes from it is pretty incredible.

Unfortunately, microtransactions are here to stay. From reading a lot of reviews, you don't need to spend any money at all. People had tons of in-game currency, loads of items from the loot crates, etc. Sounds like no big deal at all to me. If I'm truly going to take a stand based on morals, I probably wouldn't play games at all because of the insane crunch nearly every studio goes through especially for AAA titles.

I played the first game for a couple hours tonight and had an epic fight chasing down an orc boss. He kept calling goons in to swarm me and eventually he ran away. I gave chase and after about a minute I caught up and executed him. For the entire fight, the music consisted of some pumping music and his name being chanted over and over, NA-ZUL NA-ZUL NA-ZUL. Everyone says the Nemesis system is even better in Shadow of War and this feature is the real reason to play the game. There's nothing else like it out there and the emergent gameplay that comes from it is pretty incredible.
I've not had any issue avoiding AAA games for awhile now. Most of my PS4 collection is Indie games with a couple of sports titles thrown in. And GTA because they pack the shit out of those games and DLC only affects the multiplayer which is practically an entire game of its own. I'm not sure I'll be able to avoid these two forever though, it's too enticing lol.

I picked up a cheap steam key.

Good game so far. More of the same, which isn't a bad thing + expanded upon. Only just finished Minas Ithil(sp?) and i'm already impressed by the larger scale battles. Something that was missing from the first game was fighting along side allied groups. Not been forced to pay any more real money yet, have only been opening loot boxes with that other currency that you pick up.

The graphics seem worse, and there's this shitty stutter every now and then. Aside from that there isn't much bad to report for now.

the nemesis system is great really enjoy it. I've already had epic encounters along with blood brother ganging up on me. to a legendary orc i was building up only for him to betray me because he thought he was stronger then me only for me to shame him 3 times so iron will would go away end up putting him back in my army showing him he was very wrong

I had a orc go from lvl 4 - 16 due to it having no chance or whatever it's call where you can't avoid death by it, it always called backup, tracked me everywhere, and always got away until I had a caragor eat it.

Throne rooms fights are bollocks. You, mount and a bodyguard at most vs an endless horde. What about all the orcs I left outside?

I don't know anything about these games other than that they're set in Middle Earth, but these stories sound amazing and I really want to check this out. I'm torn on it though, the microtransactions initially were a total dealbreaker, but it sounds like they've adjusted it due to the backlash. Problem is, the poor microtransaction system is still there and it's still a practice that holds these games back. I can't support that in good conscious. Is it really good enough to throw my morals away for?

Loot crates have zero impact on this game.

Example - you can buy a lvl 15 orc. Or capture a lvl 40 one by the time it starts to count.

I really want to play this but i havent played a hack and slash since Diablo 3. I remember spending staying up nights playing it. Action role playing games were my kryptonite.

It's not that type of game at all.

It's Assassin Creed in Mordor but with a great Nemesis system.

Loot crates have zero impact on this game.

Example - you can buy a lvl 15 orc. Or capture a lvl 40 one by the time it starts to count.
when does the second act start? plus how much orcs are there with two faces?

I really want to play this but i havent played a hack and slash since Diablo 3. I remember spending staying up nights playing it. Action role playing games were my kryptonite.

Lol at comparing Diablo 3 to Shadow of War or Mordor. Clearly you haven't played them. Shadow of War is more like Batman Arkham Asylum series then D3. Its an action game. D3 is a point and click ARPG.

Lol at comparing Diablo 3 to Shadow of War or Mordor. Clearly you haven't played them. Shadow of War is more like Batman Arkham Asylum series then D3. Its an action game. D3 is a point and click ARPG.
Yes. I haven't played Shadow of War

This is a unique situation where I'm really excited for a release of a game that I'm (most likely) not going to be buying at launch.
Eh, I usually wait on single player games, even if I'm excited about them. I mean, they aren't going to change much, and there's no one to keep up with.

Love how the story mixes with the sandbox aspects so well.

"It was never my fort, its was always his fort." - sent him to redeem himself in the fighting pits :)

Enjoying it so far. Very similar to the last game but I'm cool with that.

There are more things to do in Black Flag, like be a pirate for starters.

Sail. Find a ship. Attack it with cannons. Board. Repeat.

Run around. Find an orc. Checks its weaknesses. Creep up on it. Or snipe it. Or blow up a barrel. Summon a beast. Bring an ally. Kill it in a dozen different ways. Lose and he laughs at you and goes up in strength. Run away and he reminds you the next time. Win and recruit as your bodyguard. Or use him as a spy. Or send him to the fighting pits. Give him special abilities. Install as an overlord. Use him in an assault. Use him to defend. Send him to fight another captain. Watch him fighting ghouls. Or gaghors. See him betray you as your bodyguard. Because his bro is your enemy. Then make him go insane by breaking him for his treachery. Avenge some bro you never met on the net against that massively leveled up orc that ripped his head off. Maybe that Orc you beat comes back from the dead and ambushes you while you're checking out collectables. And you summon your bodyguard and instead get jumped by another orc.

Of course sailing in a circle around a galley is that much more complex ;) but you got drake riding which is basically being a pirate with wings.

Last edited:
Back