Mike Tyson vs. David Tua in 1997.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
It's a shame this fight didn't happen, it would have been a fun one.

Was Tyson past it enough for Tua to win?

hard to say, tua had a solid chin and so did tyson, tyson didn't do all that well in those years if he couldn't kayo a guy. tyson was still one of the best in the world after he got out of prison but he had some issues, he hit to hard to get the rust off, he was again overconfident, kina like how hearns was with hagler, even after a previous kayo, he was overconfident when he fought holyfield.

97 is a bad year for Tyson. 96 Tyson can win. Tua really just has that barn-moving left hook, but Tyson, however faded, has more options when he punches. And he was life and death with Holyfield until he reigned headbutt's down on tyson's face.

97 is just a bad year. From then on, I really don't see anything that convinces me he can hang with A or B level guys that were at their peak.

Might have to give that one to Tua. Obviously prime Mike would wallop Tua, but 97 Mike... I don't think his heart was in it and he had so many demons at this time.

Tua, by contrast, was 6 years younger, fresher, and would have been 100% motivated for such a mega fight. Tua showed he had the durability and stamina to stay in the trenches (Ibeabuchi fight) and maintain his power in the later rounds (Izon, Maskaev).

So if I had to bet, I would take a prime, full of piss and vinegar Tua to stop the coke head shell of Tyson in the later rounds.

Back