Mikey Garcia duck hunting again

My problem is that you are making assumptions that are unwarranted and theyre weird bro. hes not ducking anyone. Mikey is playing the field and jumping between weight classes. If you dont like it its fine but dont jump on the hes ducking so in so, like its a bit much and over exaggerated

What is @The Can Opener wrong about? He has listed the fighters Garcia has spouted about and then abandoned those ideas.

He has yet to have one of the big fights he keeps claiming to want. Many posters in the boxing forum say the same thing- they like him as a boxer but he isn't taking the dangerous fights.

It's not even my opinion. He said he wanted to be the 140 pound champ, officially. The IBF said great now you have 10 days to begin negotiations with The Beast. Mikey said oh, then 135 is the place for me! So yes he quite literally ducked him.

We talked about this fight a couple months ago. Most of us agreed it would be highly entertaining because The Beast only throws bombs and can't box for shit and that Mikey would probably win every single round. So no I don't personally think Ivan beats Garcia but he got ducked anyway.

Garcia ONLY wants big fights but at the same time he has been turning down big fights for years. He called out Loma. Loma said let's dance. Garcia said he wanted 3 other fights first. Now he says he wants Spence before Loma but he throws away the belt that is one weight class away from Spence to defend a belt that is two weight classes away.

None of what he does makes any sense these days. He has been half-retired for years and obviously wants out of the sport after a couple big paydays but he won't actually fight anyone great.

You can have a problem with him talking about wanting a bunch of different fighters who are likely not realistic choices without making the ridiculous claim that he's ducking Ivan Baranchyk. Garcia's last three fights are all against legitimate competition who were, in context, better opponents than Baranchyk. You can call him half retired, but over the last 15 months he has faced the #2 guy at LW and KO'd him in devastating fashion, a guy who is probably a top 5ish talent at JWW who has a big name and beat him easily, and a near universally regarded top 3 JWW and beat him fairly easily (that's 3 top 5 talents over two different weight classes). That's one of the better resumes in the sport over that time frame.

Again, you can not like some of the outlandish things that Garcia claims without going completely overboard and claiming that he's ducking someone like Ivan Baranchyk.

i think mikey is a special talent and could give lomachenko a tough fight, but all that talk about fighting cotto, crawford, spence... that was retarded. cotto would've fucking killed him, crawford and spence both mow him down in a few rounds. those guys are beasts a few weight classes above him, it just isn't realistic.

so that was all crazy talk, but there was a legitimate deal to be made with lomachenko.

i think mikey is a special talent and could give lomachenko a tough fight, but all that talk about fighting cotto, crawford, spence... that was retarded. cotto would've fucking killed him, crawford and spence both mow him down in a few rounds. those guys are beasts a few weight classes above him, it just isn't realistic.

so that was all crazy talk, but there was a legitimate deal to be made with lomachenko.

There is still a legitimate deal to make with Lomachenko. Garcia is going back to 135 and Lomachenko is just now moving up to 135. If people want the Lomachenko fight to happen, this is good news. I don't get these bizarre reactions to his decision to go back to 135. It's his natural weight class and more or less will force a showdown after Lomachenko beats Linares. Unless I've somehow missed that Ivan fucking Baranchyk became the best prospect in boxing, this uproar doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

There is still a legitimate deal to make with Lomachenko. Garcia is going back to 135 and Lomachenko is just now moving up to 135. If people want the Lomachenko fight to happen, this is good news. I don't get these bizarre reactions to his decision to go back to 135. It's his natural weight class and more or less will force a showdown after Lomachenko beats Linares. Unless I've somehow missed that Ivan fucking Baranchyk became the best prospect in boxing, this uproar doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
i don't see how it forces a showdown with loma, but i sure hope you're right.

What if Loma beats Linares and Mikey doesnt fight him?

Fair to call that a duck?

What if Loma beats Linares and Mikey doesnt fight him?

Fair to call that a duck?

If he stonewalls negotiations with Lomachenko while they're in the same weight class, absolutely. Does anyone think that's happened yet?

i don't see how it forces a showdown with loma, but i sure hope you're right.

It doesn't necessarily force anything in the concrete sense, but if either fighter doesn't do their best to make the fight while they're at the same weight, it's going to be terrible for the way they're perceived.

If he stonewalls negotiations with Lomachenko while they're in the same weight class, absolutely. Does anyone think that's happened yet?
I dont. But Im growing a little wary about what big fights he does want.

Again, you can not like some of the outlandish things that Garcia claims without going completely overboard and claiming that he's ducking someone like Ivan Baranchyk.

Baranchyk isn't some bum. He's a popular undefeated fighter who grew up in televised fights and he has an incredibly fan-friendly style. Several of us in another thread were looking forward to this fight.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/i...-to-decide-fight-the-beast-or-vacate.3726829/

Why do you think someone has to be the odds on favorite to be ducked? Guys get ducked for all kinds of reasons. Fighters don't only duck other fighters because they are afraid to lose. They duck guys they don't want to fight for any number of reasons especially because the money isn't right. The Beast against Mikey Garcia would be highly entertaining for everyone involved and would probably pay shit compared to what Garcia wants.

Regardless, sending a letter to the IBF saying you are keeping your 140 pound IBF belt then getting told you have less than 2 weeks to negotiate with THE MANDATORY IBF OPPONENT so you drop your belt the next day is a fucking duck. I don't give a shit how little you think of Ivan or how much you think of Garcia. Anyone can duck anyone.

I dont. But Im growing a little wary about what big fights he does want.

Well if you believe his latest public call out then Mikey Garcia is going to fight Danny Garcia very soon!

-Evil-Laugh-GIF-2015.gif

What is @The Can Opener wrong about? He has listed the fighters Garcia has spouted about and then abandoned those ideas.

He has yet to have one of the big fights he keeps claiming to want. Many posters in the boxing forum say the same thing- they like him as a boxer but he isn't taking the dangerous fights.

About ducking...thats what hes wrong about. He hasnt ducked anyone

I think it'd be fair to see who he actually fights before accusing him of ducking someone.

Its not crazy talk though because he will be there fighting these guys when he commits to 147. To say he gets steamrolled by some of these guys is laughable. Maybe spence because how big he is but he has a chance against BUD

Baranchyk isn't some bum. He's a popular undefeated fighter who grew up in televised fights and he has an incredibly fan-friendly style. Several of us in another thread were looking forward to this fight.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/i...-to-decide-fight-the-beast-or-vacate.3726829/

Why do you think someone has to be the odds on favorite to be ducked? Guys get ducked for all kinds of reasons. Fighters don't only duck other fighters because they are afraid to lose. They duck guys they don't want to fight for any number of reasons especially because the money isn't right. The Beast against Mikey Garcia would be highly entertaining for everyone involved and would probably pay shit compared to what Garcia wants.

Regardless, sending a letter to the IBF saying you are keeping your 140 pound IBF belt then getting told you have less than 2 weeks to negotiate with THE MANDATORY IBF OPPONENT so you drop your belt the next day is a fucking duck. I don't give a shit how little you think of Ivan or how much you think of Garcia. Anyone can duck anyone.

Baranchyk is popular? People wanted Garcia to pick a weight class, and he has now picked one. When it looked like he was going to go to 140 people were saying that he was ducking a confrontation with Lomachenko and other 135s. Now he chooses 135 (the weight class more suited to his size) and all of a sudden he's ducking Baranchyk, a guy who is a worse opponent than his last three (worse than Lipinets and people were complaining about Garcia wasting a fight against Lipinets).

For as much people complain about what Garcia has done lately, Zlaticanin, Broner, and Lipinets is not a bad list of wins for the last 15 months. It's far from great, but those are all guys who were looked at as top 5 in their respective weight classes when fought them (Zlaticanin and Lipinets were both pretty much universally rated #2 and Broner, for all his flaws, has a big name and is still probably one of the better guys at 140).

Garcia claiming he will fight elite WWs and Cotto is irritating, but being irritating doesn't mean you're ducking legitimate competition.

Its not crazy talk though because he will be there fighting these guys when he commits to 147. To say he gets steamrolled by some of these guys is laughable. Maybe spence because how big he is but he has a chance against BUD
it's laughable to say he gets steamrolled by cotto? cotto was a big puncher at 154, he doesn't beat garcia, he decapitates him. he literally ends his career, right there on the spot.

garcia moved up to 140 by getting fatter. he isn't committing to 147, he just said he'd move back down to 135. he's not even committing to 140, if he moved to 147 and fought spence, errol would starch him. and yeah, it's because how big spence is, exactly. no one is saying mikey can't fight, we're saying he was talking about fighting monsters 2 classes above him and that was insane because they would put a hurting on him.

crawford is the smallest one on paper, but i think he's moving up the smart way, not by eating hamburgers. he looks pretty shredded, even in moving up. in fact, he's probably moving up because he has a hard time cutting... so i imagine he'll be a legitimate welterweight very soon and that means doughy garcia gets a beating from him too. sure he has a chance, just a very bad one.

The Cotto that fought Ali probably would have got stopped by Garcia.

I see people in this thread who have thrown full blown tantrums at me when I said their guy avoided someone.

The argument isn't that he is ducking Baranchyk is it?

Because that's a little ridiculous...

The Cotto that fought Ali probably would have got stopped by Garcia.
seriously? cotto tore his bicep later in that fight, i don't think garcia makes it out of the first few rounds. i mean come on, miguel would have like 20lbs on him.

Back