Mikey Garcia vs Richard Commey deal reached

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Unified lightweight world titleholder Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), 30, of Moreno Valley, California, and mandatory challenger Richard Commey (27-2, 24 KOs), 31, of Ghana, made a deal late Monday night and the IBF notified its registered promoters that the purse bid scheduled for Tuesday afternoon was canceled. “We made a deal for the fight, a real deal,” Commey promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN. “Mikey Garcia isn’t walking through Richard Commey.” The sides have 15 days to return signed contracts to the IBF. When the fight will happen is not clear but if Garcia goes through with it, it obviously means he would fight at least once more before a much-discussed move up to welterweight to challenge world titleholder Errol Spence Jr. Also, no word on the broadcast outlet for a Garcia-Commey fight but with Fox about to kick off its long-term deal with Premier Boxing Champions it’s possible it could land there.

i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer3h ago

Gives it the biggun with all his named dropping then fights a near nobody. Getting tired of Garcia. Just make the Lomachenko fight and no excuses about Arum not allowing it, that's just a smokescreen so Mikey can duck the fight.

After all the Spence talk it is highly disappointing

lol I saw a thing the other day where Mikey was saying he might retire after 3 more fights. I like Mikey's style but it's really hard to be a fan. Hopefully he'll start seriously talking about a Lomachenko fight soon. That's probably the most relevant fight in boxing to make right now, with maybe the exception for Joshua/Wilder.

I'd rather Spence be fighting people in his own weight class anyway but this definitely isn't an exciting alternative for Mikey.

Its his mandatory. Not much he can do other than vacate and gift wrap the belt for Lomachenko.

I'd rather Spence be fighting people in his own weight class anyway but this definitely isn't an exciting alternative for Mikey.
This, Spence wouldnt have gained anything from beating Garcia

So really, its not all that terrible news Spence vs Garcia not happening but Garcia could have gone for the next best thing which was Danny Garcia or Porter

Garcia could do without all the big talk

He's a cracking fighter just leave the bullsh*t out of it

I think we're all being a bit harsh. The Spence fight was a very transparent bluff. Loma has a fight with Pedraza booked. Who else is anybody suggesting?

Commey isn't trash. Certainly not somebody I'm going to be particularly excited for, but not an awful fighter.

I hope Garcia gets a ko win here, he could have finished Easter, had he have put a little more pressure on.

Same song and dance Garcia drops some big names to create buzz then fights a journeyman. He’s never gonna be elite if he don’t fight the elite

I don't really get the bitching. LW has two fighters who are head and shoulders above the rest of the division, and promotional issues aren't letting that fight get made yet. Commey is a decent LW who had a drawish fight with Easter and was robbed against Shafikov. It's not a particularly interesting fight, but he's a legitimate mandatory and a decent LW. I get that the camp bullshits a lot, but who would people have him fight at the moment (we've known for awhile that if the Spence/Garcia fight is going to happen - and I think it's a bit of a dumb fight - it was going to happen in 2019, likely on Cinco de Mayo weekend)?

I don't really get the bitching. LW has two fighters who are head and shoulders above the rest of the division, and promotional issues aren't letting that fight get made yet. Commey is a decent LW who had a drawish fight with Easter and was robbed against Shafikov. It's not a particularly interesting fight, but he's a legitimate mandatory and a decent LW. I get that the camp bullshits a lot, but who would people have him fight at the moment (we've known for awhile that if the Spence/Garcia fight is going to happen - and I think it's a bit of a dumb fight - it was going to happen in 2019, likely on Cinco de Mayo weekend)?
Exactly, Linares is at JWW now. Other than maybe Campbell, there isn't anybody in the division that is more interesting that 1. mikey hasn't already fought (Easter) or 2. is booked against another opponent (Loma, Pedraza). It's a stay busy fight, and we'll all be thankful that Mikey gets to keep the IBF strap (the IBF is a bit like the spoiled child that whines until everybody either gives in to or hits) when he and the Loma/Pedraza winner go at it for undisputed.

I'd rather this mandatory than watch Spence beat the shit out of Garcia. Spence has much more logical opponent Shawn Porter and hopefully, hopefully Mikey will fight Loma next year.

Same song and dance Garcia drops some big names to create buzz then fights a journeyman. He’s never gonna be elite if he don’t fight the elite

Garcia has been an elite fighter in the sport for half a decade.

Back