Mikey Garcia vs Richard Commey deal reached

Commey has been a Top 10 ranked fighter (per The Ring) for longer than anyone at Lightweight spare Linares who just moved up to campaign at JWW. He didn't just appear out of nowhere. Mikey was mandated by the IBF to fight Commey and in order to stay a unified titlist at Lightweight he obviously can't afford to be stripped. Mikey can do his part here to retain his titles and Loma can do his against Pedraza to capture the last remaining title in the division. They can fight next year for undisputed recognition. Arum is ready to sit down and negotiate with Mikey and his team after Loma beats Pedraza. He spoke to Robert Garcia (again) a couple weeks ago about making the fight. Arum is willing to make it next because Loma has been vocal about wanting that fight next. They both need each other for their respective legacies because their other options are limited and not as appealing on paper.

Arum claims his company’s contentious history with Mikey Garcia won’t prohibit them from making a deal for a Lomachenko fight. Top Rank Inc. promoted Mikey Garcia for his first 34 fights, but a financial dispute led to Garcia buying himself out of his promotional contract in May 2016 and ultimately kept him out of the ring for 2½ years.

“The only conversation I had was with Robert,” Arum said. “I said, ‘Tell your brother to shut the f*ck up. Lomachenko is fighting Pedraza in December. And if he wins, I promise you I’ll sit down with Mikey right after that fight and try to make a fight with Loma.’ That’s the best I can do. I’m not gonna sit [down with him] now and make the fight, when [Lomachenko] has a fight coming up.

“But I promise – I told Robert. He was there [Friday night in Fresno]. He’s a great trainer. He trains [Jose] Ramirez, so he was up in Fresno and we had time to talk. That’s all I can say. Loma wants that fight, but he has to beat Pedraza first. And then it’s a really interesting fight because each guy has two lightweight titles, and the winner has all four.”

Arum considers Lomachenko-Garcia a pay-per-view fight.

“Not the greatest, not the biggest pay-per-view fight,” Arum said, “but it would certainly do enough business. … So that’s a good fight to look forward to next year. We really wanna do that fight, [all] bullsh*t aside.”

Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who holds the IBF and WBC lightweight titles, has continually talked this summer about moving up two weight classes to challenge unbeaten IBF welterweight champ Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs). Even though Garcia is considered one of the top boxers, pound-for-pound, in the sport, he would be a huge underdog against the bigger, stronger Spence.

“All Robert keeps saying to me,” Arum said, “is, ‘My brother’s out of his mind. I’ll do anything possible that he doesn’t fight Spence.’ ”

Lomachenko, while highly skilled, is at least considered an opponent Garcia could beat. Arum just hopes Mikey Garcia is reasonable when the time comes to negotiate.

“He’s saying that he wants the fight,” Arum said. “Now, when we sit down with him, as long as he’s willing to take a guarantee, with a percentage, OK. But if he starts asking crazy numbers, then who could afford to do it?”
Arum: Lomachenko Wants Mikey Garcia Fight Right After Pedraza

Last edited:
are people really disappointed that garcia isn't fighting spence?

not that i'm particularly excited about this fight, but errol ends his career.

Garcia has been an elite fighter in the sport for half a decade.
How Is he elite he has not beat anyone elite? His best wins are broner and zlaticanin

Garcia has been an elite fighter in the sport for half a decade.
So you tell me what makes him elite? Looking great against journeymen? Oh I know what you gonna say 3 weight champ? Lipinets was a paper champ only reason he had the belt cause Crawford vacated. He didn’t want no part of indongo or Crawford at 140

giphy.gif

What about this match up is gay? Minus Jacobs and Canelo this opponent is better than anyone GGG has faced. Minus Gamboa this opponent is better than anyone Crawford has faced.
I don't know what GGG or TC have anything to do with this but Mikey's fighting the guy who lost to the guy who he just dominated. I think you have a much higher opinion of Commey than most of us. Maybe you're right, but my guess is Commey loses and it's only a matter of how he loses. There's very little intrigue to this fight, considering where Mikey is rn and Commey is, skill wise.

I'm not excited about this fight, it might have some fun moments but I think we all know that these guys are on two different levels.

Commey has been a Top 10 ranked fighter (per The Ring) for longer than anyone at Lightweight spare Linares who just moved up to campaign at JWW. He didn't just appear out of nowhere. Mikey was mandated by the IBF to fight Commey and in order to stay a unified titlist at Lightweight he obviously can't afford to be stripped. Mikey can do his part here to retain his titles and Loma can do his against Pedraza to capture the last remaining title in the division. They can fight next year for undisputed recognition. Arum is ready to sit down and negotiate with Mikey and his team after Loma beats Pedraza. He spoke to Robert Garcia (again) a couple weeks ago about making the fight. Arum is willing to make it next because Loma has been vocal about wanting that fight next. They both need each other for their respective legacies because their other options are limited and not as appealing on paper.

Arum claims his company’s contentious history with Mikey Garcia won’t prohibit them from making a deal for a Lomachenko fight. Top Rank Inc. promoted Mikey Garcia for his first 34 fights, but a financial dispute led to Garcia buying himself out of his promotional contract in May 2016 and ultimately kept him out of the ring for 2½ years.

“The only conversation I had was with Robert,” Arum said. “I said, ‘Tell your brother to shut the f*ck up. Lomachenko is fighting Pedraza in December. And if he wins, I promise you I’ll sit down with Mikey right after that fight and try to make a fight with Loma.’ That’s the best I can do. I’m not gonna sit [down with him] now and make the fight, when [Lomachenko] has a fight coming up.

“But I promise – I told Robert. He was there [Friday night in Fresno]. He’s a great trainer. He trains [Jose] Ramirez, so he was up in Fresno and we had time to talk. That’s all I can say. Loma wants that fight, but he has to beat Pedraza first. And then it’s a really interesting fight because each guy has two lightweight titles, and the winner has all four.”

Arum considers Lomachenko-Garcia a pay-per-view fight.

“Not the greatest, not the biggest pay-per-view fight,” Arum said, “but it would certainly do enough business. … So that’s a good fight to look forward to next year. We really wanna do that fight, [all] bullsh*t aside.”

Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who holds the IBF and WBC lightweight titles, has continually talked this summer about moving up two weight classes to challenge unbeaten IBF welterweight champ Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs). Even though Garcia is considered one of the top boxers, pound-for-pound, in the sport, he would be a huge underdog against the bigger, stronger Spence.

“All Robert keeps saying to me,” Arum said, “is, ‘My brother’s out of his mind. I’ll do anything possible that he doesn’t fight Spence.’ ”

Lomachenko, while highly skilled, is at least considered an opponent Garcia could beat. Arum just hopes Mikey Garcia is reasonable when the time comes to negotiate.

“He’s saying that he wants the fight,” Arum said. “Now, when we sit down with him, as long as he’s willing to take a guarantee, with a percentage, OK. But if he starts asking crazy numbers, then who could afford to do it?”
Arum: Lomachenko Wants Mikey Garcia Fight Right After Pedraza

Now that's what I wanted to hear from Arum. He sounds like he's willing to put aside their differences to make the fight with Lomachenko. I think Arum is growing in confidence in Lomachenko's abilities and is genuine when he says he listens to Loma because this is what Loma wants. Garcia wins his fight, Loma wins his fight and we get Loma vs Garcia in 1st/2nd quarter of 2019.

How Is he elite he has not beat anyone elite? His best wins are broner and zlaticanin

You have to beat someone elite in order to be elite? Does that mean has never achieved the status of being elite in his career? Does that mean Crawford isn't elite? Does that mean Usyk isn't elite? Does that mean Spence isn't elite? Does that mean Kovalev was never elite?

Garcia has either been the #1 or #2 fighter in four weight divisions (he was the clear #1 at FW and JWW and either #1 or #2 at SFW and LW) and has never come close to losing. If that's not the resume of an elite fighter, there are probably only one or two elite fighters in the sport.

So you tell me what makes him elite? Looking great against journeymen? Oh I know what you gonna say 3 weight champ? Lipinets was a paper champ only reason he had the belt cause Crawford vacated. He didn’t want no part of indongo or Crawford at 140

lol, he didn't want any part of Indongo? Do you have a high opinion of Indongo as a fighter? Crawford would likely beat Garcia, but Garcia belongs at LW and Crawford belongs at WW. He's a 4 weight champion, btw, and clearly established himself as either the #1 or #2 fighter in every single one of those weight classes without coming close to losing. Again, if that's not enough to be considered elite in the sport, then essentially no one active meets the criteria (other than Canelo and Sor Rungvisai).

lol I saw a thing the other day where Mikey was saying he might retire after 3 more fights. I like Mikey's style but it's really hard to be a fan. Hopefully he'll start seriously talking about a Lomachenko fight soon. That's probably the most relevant fight in boxing to make right now, with maybe the exception for Joshua/Wilder.

Crawford vs Spence is THE fight, IMO.

Crawford vs Spence is THE fight, IMO.

That's probably the most competitive fight at 147 but either one of them still needs to beat Thurman (both will, imo) to take the crown. In that regard I think the two bouts I mentioned are a little more relevant since they will settle the disputed titles at those weights. It's just semantics I guess.

Now that's what I wanted to hear from Arum. He sounds like he's willing to put aside their differences to make the fight with Lomachenko. I think Arum is growing in confidence in Lomachenko's abilities and is genuine when he says he listens to Loma because this is what Loma wants. Garcia wins his fight, Loma wins his fight and we get Loma vs Garcia in 1st/2nd quarter of 2019.
I would agree that it's confidence and because Top Rank already works with Mikey's brother/trainer Robert through some of their fighters (Jose Ramirez being one of them). They already have a working relationship in that capacity, and it leaves the door open. Linares, who isn't a draw at all, just made $1M to fight Loma on ESPN (basic cable). Mikey will have the opportunity to fight Loma on PPV with a guarantee and a percentage of the PPV/gate, per Arum.

I expect Arum to follow through with his words and make a serious offer to Mikey after the Loma-Pedraza fight. If Mikey's team feels they're being low balled then make a counter offer or Top Rank can improve their previous offer. You would expect Mikey's side to counter if they're actually serious about making this fight and feel the terms and conditions of a final offer aren't satisfactory. Loma's best option at this point in time is Mikey and Mikey's best option at this point in time happens to be Loma. Fans don't want to see them share halves of the division, we want to see an undisputed Lightweight king. We'll know who was really serious about making this fight happen in a few months.

I would agree that it's confidence and because Top Rank already works with Mikey's brother/trainer Robert through some of their fighters (Jose Ramirez being one of them). They already have a working relationship in that capacity, and it leaves the door open. Linares, who isn't a draw at all, just made $1M to fight Loma on ESPN (basic cable). Mikey will have the opportunity to fight Loma on PPV with a guarantee and a percentage of the PPV/gate, per Arum.

I expect Arum to follow through with his words and make a serious offer to Mikey after the Loma-Pedraza fight. If Mikey's team feels they're being low balled then make a counter offer or Top Rank can improve their previous offer. You would expect Mikey's side to counter if they're actually serious about making this fight and feel the terms and conditions of a final offer aren't satisfactory. Loma's best option at this point in time is Mikey and Mikey's best option at this point in time happens to be Loma. Fans don't want to see them share halves of the division, we want to see an undisputed Lightweight king. We'll know who was really serious about making this fight happen in a few months.

Yeah if this fight doesn't get made then at least Garcia can't claim that Arum wouldn't let him fight Lomachenko. Going on the record as Arum has done is a huge step to getting this show on the road. As you say it's the biggest fight for either of them (not including the Spence stuff which to me is just hot air from Garcia). Lomachenko vs Garcia is a much better match where neither is guaranteed victory. I'm siding with Loma but then I always do. Garcia is a very dangerous fight for Loma, he's big, skilful and has great timing. Either way, it's a real test for both and a surefire route to true legend status for the winner. The winner of this fight will be the P4P #1 fighter without a shadow of doubt.

I see Commey as an unbeaten fighter. His 2 losses has been controversial to say the least

I don't know what GGG or TC have anything to do with this but Mikey's fighting the guy who lost to the guy who he just dominated.
Once again I think Commey won that fight against Easter. Commey then came back to KO Alejandro Luna which brought him back to the Mandatory spot. Mikey took the belt off Easter and now Commey is Mikeys Mandatory. Commey also has a different style to Easter so Mikey dominating Easter might not mean much against commey.

I think you have a much higher opinion of Commey than most of us. Maybe you're right, but my guess is Commey loses and it's only a matter of how he loses. There's very little intrigue to this fight, considering where Mikey is rn and Commey is, skill wise.
I'm not saying Commey wins against Garcia but yes I do rate him pretty high and I like his style. He makes for exciting fights and I believe he should still be undefeated.

I'm not excited about this fight, it might have some fun moments but I think we all know that these guys are on two different levels.
I'm more excited for this fight than the Garcia/Broner and Garcia/Easter fights because I actually follow boxers from all over the world and become fans of them based off a number of things unlike others who only follow Americans, Mexicans or British boxers. If Commey was American I think the boxing world would be making a bigger deal out of him.

Garcia vs Spence is a fucking idiotic matchup. I cannot complain if MAG is fighting someone in his own division rather than wasting time fucking about with weight-jumping in fights where he'd be massively out-sized.

If Garcia-Spence appeals to anyone, why don't you just demand Canelo fights Usyk & Sor Rungvisai fights Lomachenko whilst you're at it? Maybe wonder aloud why Spence isn't fighting Callum Smith...?

Once again I think Commey won that fight against Easter. Commey then came back to KO Alejandro Luna which brought him back to the Mandatory spot. Mikey took the belt off Easter and now Commey is Mikeys Mandatory. Commey also has a different style to Easter so Mikey dominating Easter might not mean much against commey.

I'm not saying Commey wins against Garcia but yes I do rate him pretty high and I like his style. He makes for exciting fights and I believe he should still be undefeated.

I'm more excited for this fight than the Garcia/Broner and Garcia/Easter fights because I actually follow boxers from all over the world and become fans of them based off a number of things unlike others who only follow Americans, Mexicans or British boxers. If Commey was American I think the boxing world would be making a bigger deal out of him.
If you think Commey wins 3 or 4rds and looks good in those rds then that's fine, I don't know think that's out of the question, either. This could have some fun moments but I think we all know who's gonna win this. I'd like to see Mikey in a fight where we don't know if he'll win.

I put my money on this shit, I watch tape, I study the sport. Most of us in this forum study the sport as well. I don't know if you're suggesting I don't know Commey well, but if so, that would be incorrect. I just don't rate him where you do. You rate him extremely high.

I don't think we really disagree on anything here, we both think Commey's a good fighter who will lose, you just seem to want everyone to know that you know he's a good fighter who will lose. And then he'll lose and we'll all be clamoring for a fight where Mikey is actually questioned as to whether HE might lose, not whether he will win, just simply if it's by ko or Dec.

Commey's not a bad scalp tho, you're right on that. I think that's basically the argument you're making here at the end of the day. And I agree that he's a decent win on a great fighter's resume. That's about it tho. Which is why this fight is not an exciting match up to me.

Back