Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Chief of what? Indians? Some of us U.S. Army guys have very little clue as to how the U.S. Navy rank system works. This?

or this?

I believe you are now an E-7. Congratulations...
Could be an E-9 in the Air Force.

170620-F-IN231-100.JPG

Could be an E-9 in the Air Force.

170620-F-IN231-100.JPG

She's not just a Chief Master Sergeant, she's a COMMAND Chief MSgt (as noted by the star above the star).

In short, she's the $hit.

Is that an Air Force 'scuba' badge she is wearing? :)

There are four E-9 ranks in the U.S. Air Force?

No, that isn't a scuba badge! :)

Chief MSgt
Chief MSgt First Sergeant (You can become a 1st Shirt when you make E-7 MSgt)
Command Chief MSgt

They're all E-9's but different positions in upper management.

US army 2013-TBD

Edit: Also, my unit has been involved in female integration for the past year or so if any of you old timers care to know, it has been a complete and total shit show.
USAF 2002-2009. Only shenanigans i've experienced with females in a combat MOS is that by virtue of being a Weather weenie, we had slots airborne and air assault school slots that were supposed to go to guys crossing into Combat Weather teams being eaten up by female officers who wanted the tab. They absolutely werent being assigned to CWT groups because they are still sex segregated but the schools ARENT so it was a cheesy way for some chick to feel good about herself.

This was back when CWT/SOWT was still under a single weather career. We had to recruit guys during tech school or observers school and toss them into cycle and it meant teams spent a lot of time waiting for the new guys to get trained to speed. With chicks eating up already limited slots it kinda put a hurting on some team make ups. All that silly shit ended when Combat Weather became its own career field.

… we had slots airborne and air assault school slots that were supposed to go to guys crossing into Combat Weather teams being eaten up by female officers who wanted the tab.

Tab or patch? What do Combat Weather Teams (CWT) do? I thought all that stuff was done by satellite data these days.

Tab or patch? What do Combat Weather Teams (CWT) do? I thought all that stuff was done by satellite data these days.
depends on assignment. At the Army level, most combat weather guys are either assigned to jump units, or assigned to aerial regiments or artillery. At the AFSOC level they are attached to Special Tactics Squadrons, generally in a role simillar to Pathfinders.

The problem with sat data is that its generally regional specific and its broad based. meaning I can generally give you excellent upper level data and TRENDING events. Like, oh we got water vapor moving into the country that will make a contrail level at 20k feet. But that stuff is next to useless if you are trying to do a specific situation such as "what are surface conditions going to be in the next 72 hours for a 10 man ODA insertion at this location". For that kind of stuff you generally need a team on the ground able to set up equipment which is why the STS teams will include SOWT. in theory, an STS team, attached to a ranger element, should be able to take over, or construct, within a few hours, the basic field command and control capability to launch, recover and conduct air to ground missions and reconnaissance.

When i was in, i was army assigned, to the 10th Mtn via the ASOS, and eventually the 82nd through their artillery boys mostly as a forward observer. played with UAV's and ground air links mostly. had the opportunity to get an STS assignment but i hate hurlburt so i chose to keep my ass in NC for most my career.

USAF 2002-2009. Only shenanigans i've experienced with females in a combat MOS is that by virtue of being a Weather weenie, we had slots airborne and air assault school slots that were supposed to go to guys crossing into Combat Weather teams being eaten up by female officers who wanted the tab. They absolutely werent being assigned to CWT groups because they are still sex segregated but the schools ARENT so it was a cheesy way for some chick to feel good about herself.

This was back when CWT/SOWT was still under a single weather career. We had to recruit guys during tech school or observers school and toss them into cycle and it meant teams spent a lot of time waiting for the new guys to get trained to speed. With chicks eating up already limited slots it kinda put a hurting on some team make ups. All that silly shit ended when Combat Weather became its own career field.
Where do you guys go to tech school. For the weather part, not everything else.

Was that dude out there in the open area near the dorms (parade grounds) playing the bagpipes everyday?
the folks i remember doing the bagpipe thing all the time were always near Fischer House by the Hospital. but this was in 2002. Maybe they moved over to the triangle later. The Fishbowl tended to attract weirdo's anyway. I know i remember Langley AFB having epic Bag pipe guy playing at the Baseball diamonds all the damn time. near where the mile long building used to be.

At the Army level, most combat weather guys are either assigned to jump units, or assigned to aerial regiments or artillery. At the AFSOC level they are attached to Special Tactics Squadrons, generally in a role simillar to Pathfinders.

The problem with sat data is that its generally regional specific and its broad based. meaning I can generally give you excellent upper level data and TRENDING events. Like, oh we got water vapor moving into the country that will make a contrail level at 20k feet. But that stuff is next to useless if you are trying to do a specific situation such as "what are surface conditions going to be in the next 72 hours for a 10 man ODA insertion at this location".

That is pretty interesting stuff. That all must have come in after my time in the Infantry. U.S. Army -- Light Infantry, Cavalry, Scouts, and Rangers were all trained to adapt to weather conditions. Rain and snow being the big factors. So, you guys are attached to a higher element? Never anything at the Platoon or Company level were it matters most. Another reason for women in combat roles. Why would this individual need to be U.S. Air Force? Does the U.S. Army not have schools for this kind of thing?

the folks i remember doing the bagpipe thing all the time were always near Fischer House by the Hospital. but this was in 2002. Maybe they moved over to the triangle later. The Fishbowl tended to attract weirdo's anyway. I know i remember Langley AFB having epic Bag pipe guy playing at the Baseball diamonds all the damn time. near where the mile long building used to be.
I was there from November 2002 till April 2003. The triangle rings a bell though. I was there going through electronics courses. Fun times.

<Moves>
That is pretty interesting stuff. That all must have come in after my time in the Infantry. U.S. Army -- Light Infantry, Cavalry, Scouts, and Rangers were all trained to adapt to weather conditions. Rain and snow being the big factors. So, you guys are attached to a higher element? Never anything at the Platoon or Company level were it matters most. Another reason for women in combat roles. Why would this individual need to be U.S. Air Force? Does the U.S. Army not have schools for this kind of thing?
It’s well documented that no one in the big army could pass a courses like the ones in the AF. Duh!

On a similar note, the Army runs the Missile defense agency that mainly consists of ground interceptors. But the many of the components used in and on those missiles are used for ICBMs. That the AF maintains.

:sniper:

depends on assignment. At the Army level, most combat weather guys are either assigned to jump units, or assigned to aerial regiments or artillery. At the AFSOC level they are attached to Special Tactics Squadrons, generally in a role simillar to Pathfinders.

The problem with sat data is that its generally regional specific and its broad based. meaning I can generally give you excellent upper level data and TRENDING events. Like, oh we got water vapor moving into the country that will make a contrail level at 20k feet. But that stuff is next to useless if you are trying to do a specific situation such as "what are surface conditions going to be in the next 72 hours for a 10 man ODA insertion at this location". For that kind of stuff you generally need a team on the ground able to set up equipment which is why the STS teams will include SOWT. in theory, an STS team, attached to a ranger element, should be able to take over, or construct, within a few hours, the basic field command and control capability to launch, recover and conduct air to ground missions and reconnaissance.

When i was in, i was army assigned, to the 10th Mtn via the ASOS, and eventually the 82nd through their artillery boys mostly as a forward observer. played with UAV's and ground air links mostly. had the opportunity to get an STS assignment but i hate hurlburt so i chose to keep my ass in NC for most my career.

I've worked with some SOWTs. Good stuff when you get to use them. Otherwise they're usually just solid guys to have around.

Had one at mff, he got a kick saying he was "just a weather guy" when asked about his job.

It’s one thing to adapt, it’s another to lose half a company of paratroopers because nobody told S3 that the landing zone had 25 kt wind gust 900 feet up. Had a situation in which we called the brits to let them know of a developing hailstorm. They went anyway and an attached ANA unit took 5 guys killed because they were on a hill in bivouac when baseball sized hail showed up

It’s one thing to adapt, it’s another to lose half a company of paratroopers because nobody told S3 that the landing zone had 25 kt wind gust 900 feet up.

That is why you have an S2. All relevant weather related stuff would fall under intel. The S2 and the S3 work hand-in-hand. Have you ever attended an operations brief? Not to mention any relevant weather related stuff would be included in an Platoon Operation Order (Situation > Weather). Also, METT-T in my days. Now it is METT-TC: Mission, enemy, terrain (weather), troops, time, and civilians.

Back