Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

What made you switch from the Marines Corps to the Army?
Are you still an E-6 at 18 years in because the Green Weenie got you?

As an 0431 I got annoyed working in an S-4 shop. And I did not have the option to change my MOS so I got the hell out. Was an E-5 when I left the green machine.

Any change/break in service makes it tough to get promoted. But I was one of the very few that got promoted during the sequestration (when the US Gov was trying to kick service members out) 2010 - 2014.

Last edited:
United States Marine Corps 2003 to 2008 (Once a Marine always a Marine)

Two years in Iraqi. Second half of 2004 to first half of 2005. Second half of 2006 to first half of 2007.

Sergeant (E-5)

MOS 6386 Electronic Counter Measure Warfare Technician.
5 year contract?

your thoughts on field exercises in Grafenwoehr, or even worse Hohenfels?

guarding ammo at the AHA in Hohenfels, for 8 hour shifts in Winter was straight phenomenal.

Graf was OK. Did a bunch of fuel and logpac missions. The guys guarding ammo were in heated humvees so it wasn't too tough on them. We did roll up on them a couple times and all 3 soldiers were asleep.

Hohenfels was rough. 9 straight days out in the field with no shower. Living in pup tents.

We do get time off to explore though. Went to a small beer festival off base in Graf. Good times.

These Euro trips we've been doing since early 2015 are much better than the Iraq/Afghan shit holes we endured in the past.

Last edited:
USMC 1998-2003. Yep, 5 year contract on the basis that I might go to foreign language school in Monterrey (didn't happen).

Started as a 2651. Ended as an 0321.

Stationed out of Kaneohe Bay, Hi.

Hit up S. Korea, Oki, Thailand, Australia, Egypt for training. Hit, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam on float.

Afghanistan 2001-2002. Iraq 2003 (initial invasion till eos).

Graf was OK. Did a bunch of fuel and logpac missions. The guys guarding ammo were in heated humvees so it wasn't too tough on them. We did roll up on them a couple times and all 3 soldiers were asleep.

Hohenfels was rough. 9 straight days out in the field with no shower. Living in pup tents.

We do get time off to explore though. Went to a small beer festival off base in Graf. Good times.

These Euro trips we've been doing since early 2015 are much better than the Iraq/Afghan shit holes we endured in the past.
man we had to guard ammo on the literal pads no bldg or anything just there, and snivel gear wasn't allowed b/c i dont know, you couldn't have it under your IOTV. i had to pace back and forth one time for 4 hours b/c i thought for sure i was getting frostbite in February

USAF 1994-1998

Air Guard 1998-2002

Staff Sergeant

Minot, ND
Kunsan, Korea
Berry Field, Nashville, TN
Al Dhafra

your thoughts on field exercises in Grafenwoehr, or even worse Hohenfels?

guarding ammo at the AHA in Hohenfels, for 8 hour shifts in Winter was straight phenomenal.

My guard Unit did annual training in Grafenwoehr. I had a lot of fun in that little town next to the base.

we were there so long one time, over 30 days, they had to give us a day off/family day to avoid seperation pay and whatnot. they told us '2 beer limit' yet there was a german festival over by Vilseck. people got straight shitfaced and came back to formation. hilarity ensued

we were there so long one time, over 30 days, they had to give us a day off/family day to avoid seperation pay and whatnot. they told us '2 beer limit' yet there was a german festival over by Vilseck. people got straight shitfaced and came back to formation. hilarity ensued

We were there for 4 weeks in 2003. Most of the base was deployed for OIF. We were a maintenance unit, but we didn't have a lot of work, because most of their equipment was in the desert. We ended up having a total of 14 days off and 14 days of duty while we were there. We were allowed to drink as much as we wanted too.

We also were able to go see some sites as well. We went to the Eagles nest, a concentration camp, a couple of castles, and also spent a day in Nuremberg. It was seriously like a vacation.

USMC 1998-2003. Yep, 5 year contract on the basis that I might go to foreign language school in Monterrey (didn't happen).

Started as a 2651. Ended as an 0321.

Stationed out of Kaneohe Bay, Hi.

Hit up S. Korea, Oki, Thailand, Australia, Egypt for training. Hit, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam on float.

Afghanistan 2001-2002. Iraq 2003 (initial invasion till eos).
You were an 0321 but stationed at K Bay?

man we had to guard ammo on the literal pads no bldg or anything just there, and snivel gear wasn't allowed b/c i dont know, you couldn't have it under your IOTV. i had to pace back and forth one time for 4 hours b/c i thought for sure i was getting frostbite in February

Huuuuuh??? Man that is effed up! Sorry you had to go through that.

You were an 0321 but stationed at K Bay?

Long story short:

Was first a 2651, Electronic Ground Warfare Marine. Pretty sure the MOS description has since changed. Hell I never knew what the first one even meant. Basically, Sigint. Was stationed with 1st Radio BN, now 3rd Radio BN as they stood up a third and thus jumbled the numbers around. about a year or so in I tried out for Radio Recon. Essentially, Recon Siginit lads, we had a company of such. To my knowledge, the only Recon guys outside of a recon battalion. Once going through BRC, we all had our MOS's switched over to 0321. Heard that has since changed, you get it as a secondary MOS. Regardless, switched for us at the time and that's what we got promoted under. Still feel odd claiming the recon title, as I ran into plenty of recon guys who snubbed their noses at us for not being attached to a proper recon BN. But yeah, stayed with 1stRadbn, and thus stayed at K Bay.

HahAa, gotta love that 2 beer limit. That turns into 2 pitchers really quick. We had a couple drunken incidents within our platoon but we were able to contain it.

I wanted to start a military forum awhile back...this works perfect. Just having a place to shoot the shit and if anyone has questions needs someone to talk to (it is known that military blogs and forums/pages have saved lives) this would be a great place for military sherdoggers. @Captain Davis, would you be able to sticky this?

Anyways, USMC 0331. Yut.

Long story short:

Was first a 2651, Electronic Ground Warfare Marine. Pretty sure the MOS description has since changed. Hell I never knew what the first one even meant. Basically, Sigint. Was stationed with 1st Radio BN, now 3rd Radio BN as they stood up a third and thus jumbled the numbers around. about a year or so in I tried out for Radio Recon. Essentially, Recon Siginit lads, we had a company of such. To my knowledge, the only Recon guys outside of a recon battalion. Once going through BRC, we all had our MOS's switched over to 0321. Heard that has since changed, you get it as a secondary MOS. Regardless, switched for us at the time and that's what we got promoted under. Still feel odd claiming the recon title, as I ran into plenty of recon guys who snubbed their noses at us for not being attached to a proper recon BN. But yeah, stayed with 1stRadbn, and thus stayed at K Bay.
Gotcha, I think this is what you're talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Reconnaissance_Platoon

I wanted to start a military forum awhile back...this works perfect. Just having a place to shoot the shit and if anyone has questions needs someone to talk to (it is known that military blogs and forums/pages have saved lives) this would be a great place for military sherdoggers. @Captain Davis, would you be able to sticky this?

Anyways, USMC 0331. Yut.
Same here. Ever spend any time in 3/6 (particularly with Lima or Weapons)?

This is not the place for politics, this is a thread for veterans or active duty sherdoggers to share ideas, experiences and/or offer assistance. It will be heavily guarded for trolling.

I personally want to thank all you guys who served or are currently serving.

Back