Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

I love stories like this. I'm not all about the whole boot, pog, and branch wars, but man...I sure wish I was able to travel the world and lay some Merica in some women instead of being in a Fucken desert for most of my time in.
Should've joined the Navy man. Granted, I feel some guilt about never having spent any time in the sandbox, but knowing that I may have bastards in over a half dozen countries does give me a certain twisted sense of national pride.

Norwegian navy. Worked as an artillerist and torpedo mechanic on a coastal fast attack craft. Just mandatory service, though. Nothing serious.

The boat I was on is currently with a Nigerian warlord with the rather ironic name of Government Ekpemupolo due to some shady dealings by ways of a British shell company, so I'm not to happy about that.

For some reason I love hearing about funny or interesting UA/AWOL stories.

I was on duty once and had to go pick two of my Lance Corporals up who had been arrested at the mall in Ocean Side for picking up one of those circular public ash tray thingys and throwing it at some uniformed Sheriff's Deputies. They were apparently drunk on a bench at like 10 in the morning at the mall. Because the Deputies uniforms were different than the Ocean Side Police they drunkenly assumed these guys were mall security guards for some reason, and decided that best case scenario was to between the two of them pick this thing up and throw it at one of the deputies, who then proceeded to dodge the thing, take them down and beat the bejesus out of them. They obviously didn't make it back by the time libo secured for the evening and spent, if I remember right two days in jail.

I was on duty once and had to go pick two of my Lance Corporals up who had been arrested at the mall in Ocean Side for picking up one of those circular public ash tray thingys and throwing it at some uniformed Sheriff's Deputies. They were apparently drunk on a bench at like 10 in the morning at the mall. Because the Deputies uniforms were different than the Ocean Side Police they drunkenly assumed these guys were mall security guards for some reason, and decided that best case scenario was to between the two of them pick this thing up and throw it at one of the deputies, who then proceeded to dodge the thing, take them down and beat the bejesus out of them. They obviously didn't make it back by the time libo secured for the evening and spent, if I remember right two days in jail.
We had a guy who was supposedly gone for 13 months come back in 05 and literally nothing happened to him because we needed bodies for an upcoming deployment.
Then there was another guy in 06 who got word of a piss test on a Monday morning after a normal weekend (which is admittedly strange). He'd smoked some weed and went UA that morning for a few weeks and returned before 30 days. He swore up and down that it was a coincidence and the 1stSgt and CO were just gonna NJP him but then the weed was still in his system and he popped anyhow. :D I believe he was special court-martialed and BCD'd after spending some time in the brig.

We had a guy who was supposedly gone for 13 months come back in 05 and literally nothing happened to him because we needed bodies for an upcoming deployment.
Then there was another guy in 06 who got word of a piss test on a Monday morning after a normal weekend (which is admittedly strange). He'd smoked some weed and went UA that morning for a few weeks and returned before 30 days. He swore up and down that it was a coincidence and the 1stSgt and CO were just gonna NJP him but then the weed was still in his system and he popped anyhow. :D I believe he was special court-martialed and BCD'd after spending some time in the brig.

It was facinating how you could basically do anything from between 04-07 and nothing would have happened to you. I have a buddy who was an army paratrooper who was in Afghanistan and said they all got piss tested the 2nd month they were there and then didn't hear anything. Then when they got home a year and a half later they started booting people or NJPing them for popping for all kinds of weird stuff. Seems pretty typical.

We also had a dude who was on barracks restriction for something go full on UA and book a flight all the way home. He for some reason decided it would be a good idea to tell his room mate about it before he did it, who ratted him out almost immedately. The Battalion found out what flight he was on, and he was arrested for being UA from what I understand by the Air Marshalls on the flight as he was getting off the plane when it landed. Dude's girlfriend and mom were waiting at the gate. He never even got that far.

It was facinating how you could basically do anything from between 04-07 and nothing would have happened to you. I have a buddy who was an army paratrooper who was in Afghanistan and said they all got piss tested the 2nd month they were there and then didn't hear anything. Then when they got home a year and a half later they started booting people or NJPing them for popping for all kinds of weird stuff. Seems pretty typical.
Yeah you should look at some recent courts-martial. I was in 03-07 and someone going UA only got company NJPd and 30/30 or 45/45 (as long as they came back before 30 days or didn't miss a movement). Dudes now get a special court-martial, 60-120 days in the brig, and a BCD. :eek:

http://www.mciwest.marines.mil/Staf...s-Support-Section-West/Court-Martial-Results/

We also had a dude who was on barracks restriction for something go full on UA and book a flight all the way home. He for some reason decided it would be a good idea to tell his room mate about it before he did it, who ratted him out almost immedately. The Battalion found out what flight he was on, and he was arrested for being UA from what I understand by the Air Marshalls on the flight as he was getting off the plane when it landed. Dude's girlfriend and mom were waiting at the gate. He never even got that far.
I hope his roommate got his ass beat for snitching.

Yeah you should look at some recent courts-martial. I was in 03-07 and someone going UA only got company NJPd and 30/30 or 45/45 (as long as they came back before 30 days or didn't miss a movement). Dudes now get a special court-martial, 60-120 days in the brig, and a BCD. :eek:

http://www.mciwest.marines.mil/Staf...s-Support-Section-West/Court-Martial-Results/

I hope his roommate got his ass beat for snitching.

That's pretty crazy. I remember being told in SOI that if we went UA to just leave our stuff because nobody would care. If we took some of our gear they'd find us and throw us in the brig. Things have changed a lot.

Nobody liked the kid that went UA to begin with. He was the resident Blue Falcon to begin with, so nobody lost any sleep over it. If I remember right, the Duty was supposed to check on him every hour and when he wasn't there he got up in the roommate's business about where he was, so he told him.

When I was in bootcamp, some kid went UA on the very first day. He snuck out at night and jumped the fence. From what I heard, the police found him sleeping on a park bench in Chicago still wearing his PTU. I think he just got adsep'd since it was so early on.

When I was in bootcamp, some kid went UA on the very first day. He snuck out at night and jumped the fence. From what I heard, the police found him sleeping on a park bench in Chicago still wearing his PTU. I think he just got adsep'd since it was so early on.
Yeah you can get an ELS with less than 180 days in.

For some reason I love hearing about funny or interesting UA/AWOL stories.
Was on area guard in camp pendleton when Oceanside PD dropped off this guy who had been awol for 5 years. Turns out his sister got pulled over in bumfuck iowa and she panicked and snitched him out to try and get off the speeding charge. Hilarity ensued.

USMC 2001-2006
9th Comm
Ground Radio Intermediate Repairman
E-4

Kind of surprised to hear so many stories about people getting tested, is that considered normal in the US or what

Heres a quick story for you... One of my marines decided it would be awesome to steal the duty van for more beer.....was chugging beer and tossing them out the duty van window. Marines will Marine.

Thanks fellas, appreciate all of you.

Kind of surprised to hear so many stories about people getting tested, is that considered normal in the US or what
Usually after holiday weekendsusually.

Yeah from 2004 - 2008 a US service member could go AWOL / UA, piss positive for weed, etc and be allowed to stay after a slap on the wrist.

Knew a marine stationed in Camp Pedelton in 2007 that went UA to the Philippines for like 4 months. When he finally came back his command just documented it and sent him back to work the next day. They were even planning on sending him to Iraq with the unit. But then he went all PTSD psychotic and stuff. THEN they finally processed him out.

Then in 2010 the Sequestration hit. Obama pulled the US military out of Iraq waaaaay earlier than planned.* So BOOM, all the sudden we have about 15% more people in the military than the budget can handle. After that, service members were getting booted out for 2 or more days AWOL/UA, first time drug offenders (even marijuana), and some for being in past the new retention control point regulations.

*There are many construction projects that US contractors started in Iraq that remain unfinished to this days. I.E. a half built barracks complex in Ramadi that never got finished.

You must be European? I remember talking to some Dutch Marines about how they smoke weed on a weekly basis and it's no big deal.

Last edited:
Since I didn't post it:
USMC 2001 - 2009

MOS 0311

Served in Iraq from September 04 to March/April 05, January 08 to August 08

Since I didn't post it:
USMC 2001 - 2009

MOS 0311

Served in Iraq from September 04 to March/April 05, January 08 to August 08
You reenlisted and stayed in the grunts?

Bobby-Hill.gif

A kid in my boot camp at GL drank Windex to get out.

Lol

Back