Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

They don't mention how they will verify that you are a veteran with an Honorable discharge. Are they planning to use your social security number to link to your DD Form 214 on some military database?

AAFES can check the DOD records with your Social Security number and such. You're either good to go or not.

AAFES can check the DOD records with your Social Security number and such.

That is interesting. Through VetVerify.org.

"Some veterans who register at VetVerify.org will be invited to be beta testers, with the ability to shop online earlier than the planned Nov. 11 launch date. VetVerify.org uses information from the Defense Department's Defense Manpower Data Center to verify a veteran's status."

Boy, I hope that system is really secure. ID theft through someone's SSN is not a fun experience. Big banks have already fucked that up.

That is interesting. Through VetVerify.org.

"Some veterans who register at VetVerify.org will be invited to be beta testers, with the ability to shop online earlier than the planned Nov. 11 launch date. VetVerify.org uses information from the Defense Department's Defense Manpower Data Center to verify a veteran's status."

Boy, I hope that system is really secure. ID theft through someone's SSN is not a fun experience. Big banks have already fucked that up.

If you've ever applied for or had a security clearance check done on you odds are that your info is out there. I got notification that I was hacked some years ago from the Government.

Then I got hit by Equifax.

If you've ever applied for or had a security clearance check done on you odds are that your info is out there. I got notification that I was hacked some years ago from the Government.

Oh, my information is out there alright. Security clearance and 'direct deposit'. I got the same hacking notification from the government. Were you in when we got our paycheck through the mail? This was before 'direct deposit' was made mandatory. This was all before 1995 when Microsoft made a splash with Windows. Wish I had bought some Microsoft stock in the early 90s.

Oh, my information is out there alright. Security clearance and 'direct deposit'. I got the same hacking notification from the government. Were you in when we got our paycheck through the mail? This was before 'direct deposit' was made mandatory. This was all before 1995 when Microsoft made a splash with Windows. Wish I had bought some Microsoft stock in the early 90s.

Yup!

At my first base, the post office was right next to a bank branch! I'd cash my check, deposit nearly all of it, and raid the BX! I didn't even have a checking account then! Straight cash homie!

At my first base, the post office was right next to a bank branch! I'd cash my check, deposit nearly all of it, and raid the BX!

Yeah, than someone started 'raiding' those mailboxes and stealing government checks. But I did like getting those 'green' checks from the government with the statue of liberty. It kind of made your hard work more real and the government thanked you for it every month. Now it is just a 'blip' on your monthly bank statement.

US Army. 2004-2011
E5, 25N commo network tech.

basic. ft. benning.
ft gordon
ft huachuca
London Nato northwood HQ
Ft hood.

2 deployments. camp victory/al assad

Last edited:
US Army. 2004-2009

basic. ft. benning.
ft gordon
ft huachuca
London Nato northwood HQ
Ft hood.

Army signal at a Marine airbase?

You said you deployed to Al Asad. That was a Marine airbase in western Iraq.

wasn't on base. was at at an outpost for comms relay. just me and 3 soldiers. had no support. would have been nice to have a base nearby

US Army. 2004-2011

basic. ft. benning.
ft gordon
ft huachuca
London Nato northwood HQ
Ft hood.

At least you landed one pretty sweet assignment with NATO & in London!

I was at Sather AFB, by VBC, which is all Iraqi controlled but I should really say what's left it, not long after the U.S. sent military members back into IZ and again more recently. I was also there during different periods of OIF. You should see it now.. All the palaces were ram-sacked, no more ponds, lakes, or greenery. I understand having a distaste for that area but those buildings were wired, and 100% functional, we even left the A/C units and a lot of other shit in place. Now it's a much of a shithole as the rest of Baghdad outside of New Baghdad.

Last edited:
At least you landed one pretty sweet assignment with NATO & in London!

I was at Sather AFB, by VBC, which is all Iraqi controlled but I should really say what's left it, not long after the U.S. sent military members back into IZ and again more recently. I was also there during different periods of OIF. You should see it now.. All the palaces were ram-sacked, no more ponds, lakes, or greenery. I understand having a distaste for that area but those buildings were wired, and 100% functional, we even left the A/C units and a lot of other shit in place. Now it's a much of a shithole as the rest of Baghdad outside of New Baghdad.

yeah...but it was just a bait and switch.
I was getting ready to ETS. and I was turning down every offer. I did my 4 years and one deployment and I was like naw. Im good. especially since I was stop lossed and had to do an extra 3 months on the first deployment. totaling 15 months. but then they came up with London, NATO, Bonus, Top secret clearance, Stabilization, non deployable. I was like damn. of course I took it.

Not even a year I was Bussed back to Ft hood to deploy. left me just a little bitter. so I got back and got out.

(but yeah LONDON WAS AWESOME)

I didnt do too much exploring while at victory. My job didnt require it. I was 25N switching systems tech. so I just stayed in the hub. the freezing hub. I think I left victory maybe twice. once for a class somehwere i dont remember. and another was R&R in qatar. To be honest I did a memory dump after getting out, anything on the news about it or anything related I tuned out.

you were infantry?

yeah...but it was just a bait and switch.
I was getting ready to ETS. and I was turning down every offer. I did my 4 years and one deployment and I was like naw. Im good. especially since I was stop lossed and had to do an extra 3 months on the first deployment. totaling 15 months. but then they came up with London, NATO, Bonus, Top secret clearance, Stabilization, non deployable. I was like damn. of course I took it.

Not even a year I was Bussed back to Ft hood to deploy. left me just a little bitter. so I got back and got out.

(but yeah LONDON WAS AWESOME)

I didnt do too much exploring while at victory. My job didnt require it. I was 25N switching systems tech. so I just stayed in the hub. the freezing hub. I think I left victory maybe twice. once for a class somehwere i dont remember. and another was R&R in qatar. To be honest I did a memory dump after getting out, anything on the news about it or anything related I tuned out.

you were infantry?

I was, I'm now at Group.

Yeah man you got bamboozled. Sounds like you were good at your job to even be considered for an assignment like that. I probably would have popped smoke too, especially when your skills and clearance directly carryover to the civilian world.

I was, I'm now at Group.

Yeah man you got bamboozled. Sounds like you were good at your job to even be considered for an assignment like that. I probably would have popped smoke too, especially when your skills and clearance directly carryover to the civilian world.

yeah about that clearance. lol
It wasnt that I was good at my job, 25N was just a star MOS, they were trying not to lose any. cuz it was brand new.
I dont remember exactly how it worked but I think the clearance is only good for 4 or years, and it ran out when I was getting out. Or it wasn't active anymore outside of the Army. I dont remember exactly how I got fuked but I did. didnt carry over. of course the TS looks good but any civilian job that hired me would have to pay to get it reactivated.

anyways much respect to the infantry. after about the 10 month mark I wanted to jump on a patrol or something just to get off base.

yeah about that clearance. lol
It wasnt that I was good at my job, 25N was just a star MOS, they were trying not to lose any. cuz it was brand new.
I dont remember exactly how it worked but I think the clearance is only good for 4 or years, and it ran out when I was getting out. Or it wasn't active anymore outside of the Army. I dont remember exactly how I got fuked but I did. didnt carry over. of course the TS looks good but any civilian job that hired me would have to pay to get it reactivated.

anyways much respect to the infantry. after about the 10 month mark I wanted to jump on a patrol or something just to get off base.

Damn man lost the TS too. It's a 5 year gig before it has to be re-verified. Once it's run out, it's back to starting all over. I think our 25 series guys are very well treated, any of them who want to go out with us and are competent will get outside of the wire.

I had some good times in Iraq, some terrible ones too. It was a shame seeing what happened after we pulled out. There's going to be an internal civil war too, and the Iranian influence throughout the area is pretty strong. I see all these guys they're worried about Saudi Arabia, they're no angles but they are more amenable than Iranians. Just my opinion.

basic. ft. benning.

Me too. Basic and AIT. IOBC and Ranger school. Later Ft Bragg and Ft Hood. But Fort Benning, GA, will always be a special place in my memory. Blackberry bushes on the land navigation course. Ice cream truck during bivouac. I was there as an E-3 and later as an O-1.

Damn man lost the TS too. It's a 5 year gig before it has to be re-verified. Once it's run out, it's back to starting all over.

Your Top Secret will automatically drop down to a Secret after 5 years and be good for another 5 years. Unless you need to maintain a TS clearance. But hey, you can still find classified stuff on the internet. Life was easier with just a Secret clearance. Less meetings/briefings to have to go to. :)

Your Top Secret will automatically drop down to a Secret after 5 years and be good for another 5 years. Unless you need to maintain a TS clearance. But hey, you can still find classified stuff on the internet. Life was easier with just a Secret clearance. Less meetings/briefings to have to go to. :)

That's a real problem.

Life was easier when I had a clearance but generally drug my knuckles in the dirt and mentored privates.

Back