Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Even if you’re selected, technically your branch will have to release you. It’s not usually a thing, but sometimes a UCMJ action comes up, and there’s nothing we can do, or a service commitment.

Why would your branch not release you? If that was an issue, you would not get orders to attend the course to start with. Yeah, UCMJ, DUI, and drug use are considered a 'fail' by the soldier, not the Army pulling you out of a school. DUI and drug use in my day was a career ender for officers. No matter the rank or number of ribbons. General Petraeus, who was the 'cream-of-the-crop', crashed and burned over a piece of 'pussy'. :(

Yeah both of those sites are garbage, SOCnet was pretty much blacklisted by SF after they released the Niger cam footage.

ProfessionalSoldiers.com is a legit source for the SF community. This forum, and that are all I have time for. I barely keep up with MMA anymore, too many “superfights”.
That was SOFRep, not SOCnet.

Dont see how that is a shock. If you have outstanding warrants why would anyone consider you for anything?

The shock was he was already selected, and pretty much had orders, theres a screening process, he just go through for a bit. You can be selected, then unselected thats where i was going.

Which means that you don't quit but you still aren't selected at the end of SFAS. I'm specifically talking about 18 Xrays.

Yeah X-rays are in a limbo until they graduate but theyre still 11Bs, just that if they dont pass selection, its pretty much garunteed 82nd abn assignment. Especially if all you made it to was SFAS, some might get lucky if a cadre fights for them and end up back at Benning to do RASP.

That was SOFRep, not SOCnet.

SOFrep allright, yeah the guy who wrote the article and posted the video was tabbed, people were pretty pissed at him.

Why would your branch not release you? If that was an issue, you would not get orders to attend the course to start with. Yeah, UCMJ, DUI, and drug use are considered a 'fail' by the soldier, not the Army pulling you out of a school. DUI and drug use in my day was a career ender for officers. No matter the rank or number of ribbons. General Petraeus, who was the 'cream-of-the-crop', crashed and burned over a piece of 'pussy'. :(

Guys slip through, or land an art15 while waiting to attend the Q.

Another for instance, buddy of mine was a drill sgt, at benning, went to selection passed but 11b branch wouldnt release him because of a critical shortage of drills. Took him a bit longer, Korea gets that too, anything that’s a controlled tour, or needing a time on station requirement. SF recruiters now all that stuff, so it’s typically taken care of or known before you go to SFAS.

Which means that you don't quit but you still aren't selected at the end of SFAS. I'm specifically talking about 18 Xrays.

Just like in Ranger school. Just watch, the first female soldier to go through SFAS will make it even though she 'technically' failed the standards. One will graduate for sure or someone will loose a star. :)

Just like in Ranger school. Just watch, the first female soldier to go through SFAS will make it even though she 'technically' failed the standards. One will graduate for sure or someone will loose a star. :)

Were still waiting for the first one. But they’re coming, just when not if.

Another for instance, buddy of mine was a drill sgt, at benning, went to selection passed but 11b branch wouldnt release him because of a critical shortage of drills.

Did your friend know about the shortage prior to going to SFAS? How long is that qualification good for? Can he re-apply for continuation of the Q Course at a later date? Is the same thing happening with U.S. Navy SEALs?

Did your friend know about the shortage prior to going to SFAS? How long is that qualification good for? Can he re-apply for continuation of the Q Course at a later date? Is the same thing happening with U.S. Navy SEALs?

This was 8 years ago, I could be wrong here but want to say SFAS is good for 2 years. So you got that long to get into a class at Bragg.

He did but thought he would be exempt because he did 2 years.

2 years was pretty firm as I can recall.

No idea about SEALs, they swim and make movies, that’s about my knowledge. (Kidding)

No idea about SEALs, they swim and make movies, that’s about my knowledge.

Let me guess, all the West Point graduates make it through SFAS and the Q Course?
I would say the U.S. Navy SEALs go through the same ordeal. BUD/S being SFAS prior to Jump School, Qualification Training (SQT - 26 weeks), and Troop Training (TRP). Guys can slip through during that period also.

Let me guess, all the West Point graduates make it through SFAS and the Q Course?
I would say the U.S. Navy SEALs go through the same ordeal. BUD/S being SFAS prior to Jump School, Qualification Training (SQT - 26 weeks), and Troop Training (TRP). Guys can slip through during that period also.

I would guess so as well.

Yeah West Pointers do well, but theyre usually amongst the top guys around. CPTs ive had who were WPs were decent enough. Though they fail too.. and failing the Q for a CPT can really fuck up their timeline.. experience helps but tabbed e7 11bs fail, every year.

Yeah West Pointers do well, but theyre usually amongst the top guys around. CPTs ive had who were WPs were decent enough. Though they fail too...

West Pointers have not impressed me in my career with the U.S. Army. There were a few that were exceptional, but most of the good officers I worked with came from ROTC. A lot of the WP officers had a 'prima donna' attitude about them. Thought they were better than the rest of us. They had special treatment in Ranger school and I figure the 'Q' course would be no different. Lower enlisted (E-3 and E-4) also had that privilege, specially if they were assigned to a Ranger Battalion. They were 'forgiven' more often by the RIs. 2LTs like me and my ROTC buddies from IOBC had a higher standard to meet by the cadre. So, it is easy to see how female soldiers would be treated differently and the fact that today, any MOS can apply for the school. Not sure why a nurse or finance guy would want a short or long tab.

2375260-1-840x420.jpg

BULLET POINTS
DoD photo
This Is The Military Base Water Contamination Study The White House Didn’t Want You To See
By JARED KELLER
on June 21, 2018
T&P ON FACEBOOK

Become an investor. T&P is proud to partner with Stash to enable simple, affordable, investment strategies. Get $10 in your account and start today.

Toxic breast milk. Contaminated umbilical cords. Testicular cancer. Organ failure.

These are just some of the side effects of the chemical compounds that have poisoned drinking and groundwater sources at dozens of military bases across the country, according to a major government study that the White House and Environmental Protection Agency sought to keep from the American public.

• After a March DoD report to the House Armed Service Committee revealed that at least 126 U.S. military installations tested at “higher than acceptable” concentrations of the per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) found in military firefighting foam in water supplies, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) conducted its first-ever in-depth analysis on the health impacts of the chemicals.
  • According to the HHS study, the health effects of exposure to PFAS chemicals in humans include pregnancy complications, liver damage, high cholesterol, decreased response to vaccines, and an increased risk of thyroid disease, asthma diagnosis, and long-term fertility issues. Even more alarming, PFAS chemicals can contaminate human breast milk and umbilical cord blood, massively increasing the potential of birth defects among affected fetuses.
  • The effects on laboratory animals are just as alarming. An analysis of 187 studies of PFAS exposure in laboratory animals revealed “liver toxicity, developmental toxicity, and immune toxicity” — as well as total organ failure. But even worse, comparisons between human and animal exposures reveal it takes human beings four years to expel toxins that rodents purge in just a few hours.
If you want a visceral portrait of the horrifying impact of PFAS contamination, I highly recommend this jaw-dropping reporting from Military Times’ Tara Copp, who spent the last several weeks speaking to veterans and their families who have had their lives destroyed by chronic issues that are likely connected to years of exposure to the chemicals. In one case, Copp spoke to a female airman who was told “don’t get pregnant at George Air Force Base” when she PCSed there in the mid-1970s.

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-base-water-contamination-study/

Contaminated drinking water on Camp Lejeune is a tradition though.

West Pointers have not impressed me in my career with the U.S. Army. There were a few that were exceptional, but most of the good officers I worked with came from ROTC. A lot of the WP officers had a 'prima donna' attitude about them. Thought they were better than the rest of us. They had special treatment in Ranger school and I figure the 'Q' course would be no different. Lower enlisted (E-3 and E-4) also had that privilege, specially if they were assigned to a Ranger Battalion. They were 'forgiven' more often by the RIs. 2LTs like me and my ROTC buddies from IOBC had a higher standard to meet by the cadre. So, it is easy to see how female soldiers would be treated differently and the fact that today, any MOS can apply for the school. Not sure why a nurse or finance guy would want a short or long tab.
West Pointers are not given special treatment of any kind in SFQC, nor were they treated any differently during SFAS. In SFAS, no one is treated differently. You're just a roster number until the actual selection at the end of the process (they differentiate between officers and enlisted at that point due to seats in the course), and that's a good thing.

Selection is good for 2 years. You have that long to start SFQC. At that point, the candidate must reapply and go through the selection process again.

I didn’t see that favoritism in the Q Course, and any other special operations course I have attended. If so it’s very limited degrees.

Instructors always have some liberty to put their own flair on things though. For portions of any course where enlisted and officers are going through at the same time, as an instructor, I would defintinly expect the O’s the plan and run the concept, then for the enlisted guys to be more operationally focused. It’s when O’s try to run the concept, planning portion, and the operations that the machine breaksdown. My first SF deployment, we didn’t have a CPT, or Warrant, a TmSgt ran the team, we planned, and were functional for 5 months of an 8 month deployment (a CPT finally showed up to finish out the trip). Not ideal - but experience and muturity is why it works.

Last edited:
It’s when O’s try to run the concept, planning portion, and the operations that the machine breaks down.

Bingo!
NCOs are the backbone of the U.S. Army. Enlisted soldiers are the ones who win or loose battles. Good officers are good at planning and motivating. Any Infantry soldier can tell you that a Platoon Sergeant or 'salty' Squad Leader can run a Platoon better than a new 2LT, unless he was prior enlisted. I had top notch NCOs in my Platoon who did all the work and made me look 'golden'. The credit goes to those boys. Micromanaging by officers is what fucks things up and leaves NCOs with a dislike for their leader. It shows a lack of trust from the officer's side. God forbid you should get one that 'kisses up' to the CO, you'll be in for a miserable time.

Bingo!
NCOs are the backbone of the U.S. Army. Enlisted soldiers are the ones who win or loose battles. Good officers are good at planning and motivating. Any Infantry soldier can tell you that a Platoon Sergeant or 'salty' Squad Leader can run a Platoon better than a new 2LT, unless he was prior enlisted. I had top notch NCOs in my Platoon who did all the work and made me look 'golden'. The credit goes to those boys. Micromanaging by officers is what fucks things up and leaves NCOs with a dislike for their leader. It shows a lack of trust from the officer's side. God forbid you should get one that 'kisses up' to the CO, you'll be in for a miserable time.

Once had an officer who told us on the radio to investigate a weapons cache that was confirmed as booby trapped lol. We laughed at his fucking face when we got back to base.

Once had an officer who told us on the radio to investigate a weapons cache that was confirmed as booby trapped lol. We laughed at his fucking face when we got back to base.

Did he go to West Point? :)
I believe the British still send guys over to attend WP do they not? The international student exchange program?

Last edited:
Back