Mini Study - Panpayak Sitchefboonthum: Dismantling the Dracula Guard

I'd like to incorperate the dracula guard into my boxing guard, although it's better suited for MT/MMA. Sometimes it's nice being able to frame while pivoting and protecting yourself. In an MMA/MT scenario, I really like the notion of keeping the rear hand as a shield untill you get a firm grip on the neck with the lead hand, if you're going for the clinch. I think a very common mistake people make with the guard is reaching with the rear hand.

Thanks for the vid! I know you don't get the recognition you deserve here, but keep up the good work!

I'd like to incorperate the dracula guard into my boxing guard, although it's better suited for MT/MMA. Sometimes it's nice being able to frame while pivoting and protecting yourself. In an MMA/MT scenario, I really like the notion of keeping the rear hand as a shield untill you get a firm grip on the neck with the lead hand, if you're going for the clinch. I think a very common mistake people make with the guard is reaching with the rear hand.

Thanks for the vid! I know you don't get the recognition you deserve here, but keep up the good work!

Thanks man, much appreciated.

It bears a lot of similarities to the cross-armed guard. The way it's used in MT tends to be pretty static, but could be made more responsive by crouching down on the rear hip and shifting weight. It could be useful for framing off in a boxing context, though due to its limitations in exchanges and countering (better for setting up knees/elbows than punches) it would be best used sparingly.

For MMA I'm not sure I like it that much. The small gloves makes it harder to cover the head, which is a bigger problem for this guard because of its lack of responsiveness, and the hand position makes it a lot easier to get in on your hips. The meta in MMA is also a lot more structured around punches, whereas it makes more sense in Muay Thai to walk through a few punches to score from the clinch. As much as I hate the "there's no footwork in Muay Thai" takes, the cage makes lateral movement easier and there's a higher percentage of guys willing to make you turn to keep up with them, though you can come in toward the lead hand side and herd them into kicks. Trapping range is also less dangerous/contested in MMA than in MT, so it's a lot easier to clear frames and secure a clinch without resorting to something like this that sacrifices your ability to counter. I think a more standard long guard could be effective for MMA though, and this could be used as a situational adjustment if your opponent is going up the middle a lot. It has the added advantage of threatening their hands with your forehead and elbow too.

Anthony Johnson and Silva (in brief spots) come to mind as guys who show that a long, extended-hands style guard can be effective in MMA for framing, disrupting balance, and measuring distance. Johnson would come in squared up and post on your face to set up shots, and a lot of the work Silva did from the clinch involved stiff-arming guys away while hitting them. Though I feel like the kind of fighter it would benefit most (upright, kick-heavy offense, collar tie/RDA type clincher) doesn't exist much in MMA. I think this kind of stuff would fit nicely into Masvidal's game.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

It bears a lot of similarities to the cross-armed guard. The way it's used in MT tends to be pretty static, but could be made more responsive by crouching down on the rear hip and shifting weight. It could be useful for framing off in a boxing context, though due to its limitations in exchanges and countering (better for setting up knees/elbows than punches) it would be best used sparingly.

For MMA I'm not sure I like it that much. The small gloves makes it harder to cover the head, which is a bigger problem for this guard because of its lack of responsiveness, and the hand position makes it a lot easier to get in on your hips. The meta in MMA is also a lot more structured around punches, whereas it makes more sense in Muay Thai to walk through a few punches to score from the clinch. As much as I hate the "there's no footwork in Muay Thai" takes, the cage makes lateral movement easier and there's a higher percentage of guys willing to make you turn to keep up with them, though you can come in toward the lead hand side and herd them into kicks. Trapping range is also less dangerous/contested in MMA than in MT, so it's a lot easier to clear frames and secure a clinch without resorting to something like this that sacrifices your ability to counter. I think a more standard long guard could be effective for MMA though, and this could be used as a situational adjustment if your opponent is going up the middle a lot. It has the added advantage of threatening their hands with your forehead and elbow too.

Anthony Johnson and Silva (in brief spots) come to mind as guys who show that a long, extended-hands style guard can be effective in MMA for framing, disrupting balance, and measuring distance. Johnson would come in squared up and post on your face to set up shots, and a lot of the work Silva did from the clinch involved stiff-arming guys away while hitting them. Though I feel like the kind of fighter it would benefit most (upright, kick-heavy offense, collar tie/RDA type clincher) doesn't exist much in MMA. I think this kind of stuff would fit nicely into Masvidal's game.
Yeah I definitely see what you mean a regular long guard might be the better option in MMA, using the dracula one once in a while if they come down the middle. It's nice being able to play around with guards to give different looks, so in that sense it's interesting to think about how you each of them can be applied.

Yeah AJ definitely used his lead hand well to prevent people from moving their head. He did it to Gustafsson too in Sweden, I was there live and man it was rough. Tough night to be a Scandinavian. Conor uses a long guard sometimes too which works well. He has reach on a lot of guys and also being a southpaw is a big help. Occupying the other guys lead hand and using it to handtrap while opening up for that straight left. Usually when I switch to southpaw for fun I start pawing and trapping a lot more with my lead so it feels more natural to use a long guard.

On a sidenote, I know you wrote an article on it recently but I havent sat down and read it yet, but what would you call Romero's guard against Whittaker this weekend? Impressive how secure his guard has become considering the glove size and weapons avaliable and all.

Yeah I definitely see what you mean a regular long guard might be the better option in MMA, using the dracula one once in a while if they come down the middle. It's nice being able to play around with guards to give different looks, so in that sense it's interesting to think about how you each of them can be applied.

Yeah AJ definitely used his lead hand well to prevent people from moving their head. He did it to Gustafsson too in Sweden, I was there live and man it was rough. Tough night to be a Scandinavian. Conor uses a long guard sometimes too which works well. He has reach on a lot of guys and also being a southpaw is a big help. Occupying the other guys lead hand and using it to handtrap while opening up for that straight left. Usually when I switch to southpaw for fun I start pawing and trapping a lot more with my lead so it feels more natural to use a long guard.

On a sidenote, I know you wrote an article on it recently but I havent sat down and read it yet, but what would you call Romero's guard against Whittaker this weekend? Impressive how secure his guard has become considering the glove size and weapons avaliable and all.

This is my favorite clip of Rumble's framing

He never lets Manuwa settle into a stance for a second. Turns the missed jab into a cross-face to prevent him from clinching or countering, then palms his head right off the kick to disturb his base and blind him to the KO shot.

Romero was using an Archie Moore-esque cross-armed guard, with the rear forearm across the chin and the lead low to project the shoulder/cover the body. He tried it in the Rockhold fight too but he was doing it backwards - with his lead hand high and his rear low. Since the lead hand was too high to counter, he'd just end up sitting there defending, and it mostly just worked because Rockhold boxes like Rockhold. He was doing it with the right hand position this time and folded over his hips a lot more, which let him hit some counters off his lead hand when Whittaker came in. He'd take a shot on his glove or fold over his hip, and the lead hand was right in position to hit back.

He never lets Manuwa settle into a stance for a second. Turns the missed jab into a cross-face to prevent him from clinching or countering, then palms his head right off the kick to disturb his base and blind him to the KO shot.

Romero was using an Archie Moore-esque cross-armed guard, with the rear forearm across the chin and the lead low to project the shoulder/cover the body. He tried it in the Rockhold fight too but he was doing it backwards - with his lead hand high and his rear low. Since the lead hand was too high to counter, he'd just end up sitting there defending, and it mostly just worked because Rockhold boxes like Rockhold. He was doing it with the right hand position this time and folded over his hips a lot more, which let him hit some counters off his lead hand when Whittaker came in. He'd take a shot on his glove or fold over his hip, and the lead hand was right in position to hit back.

Rumble was a SCARY individual when coming forward putting pressure on people. Too bad his headspace was a little off at times.

Yeah the cross armed block was what came to mind, but at times when he was posturing with it, it almost looked a little kung fu inspired. He seems to deliberately absorb blows with his elbows and forearms pretty well. He's such a weird mix of rhythm, explosiveness and durability.

I'll read your article on the fight soon to get a better insight into what was going on.

I imagine thats how Whittaker's hand was broken too

I imagine thats how Whittaker's hand was broken too
Romero only started going to the cross-guard after the first round and that's apparently when Whittaker broke it. He was playing a high guard with his elbows really high up though, which is basically the same effect. Pretty much everything Whittaker threw to the head in round 1 hit guard, so that's likely what did it.

Back