Minimum Wage raise to $15...

ironball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Here in Ontario, our premiere (basically the person in charge of the province) decided to implement a plan to raise minimum wage from $11.60 to $15 over 1 year. It's already jumped to $14, and will be at $15 by 2019.

Approximately 33% raise, for absolutely no reason- which is supposed to benefit everybody!

People are 50/50 on it:

Anyways, I'm curious on what you guys think about an unprecedented minimum wage raise. I know they've talked about it in the U.S.A but most people seem to be on the fence. I think it does more harm than good.

But atleast we can feel good saying we raised minimum wage for the lucky few who get to keep their burger flipping gig

Here in Ontario, our premiere (basically the person in charge of the province) decided to implement a plan to raise minimum wage from $11.60 to $15 over 1 year. It's already jumped to $14, and will be at $15 by 2019.

Approximately 33% raise, for absolutely no reason- which is supposed to benefit everybody!

People are 50/50 on it:

Anyways, I'm curious on what you guys think about an unprecedented minimum wage raise. I know they've talked about it in the U.S.A but most people seem to be on the fence. I think it does more harm than good.

That worth something like $2.76 US? ;)

It's a bump of too high a scale for an entire region in my opinion, but the doom and gloom about everyone losing their jobs (re @sniper ) is bunk.

Not gonna benefit them because the price of everything will just go up and/or robots will take their jobs.

Go to your mall food court. And see how many businesses boarded up/closed. Serious.

Not gonna benefit them because the price of everything will just go up and/or robots will take their jobs.

Yea because as soon as corporations could more cheaply use robots they wouldn't regardless of the min wage......

Too much, too fast. I agree people should make more but a massive sudden increase in minimum wage won't work.

Yea because as soon as corporations could more cheaply use robots they wouldn't regardless of the min wage......
1. Not every company hiring people is some huge corporation.

2. Almost doubling the cost of hiring someone is going to make robots a cheaper option a lot sooner.

3. <JagsKiddingMe>

In a perfect world $15 an hour minimum wage sounds awesome, but in the real world it doesn't work. It puts the squeeze on the middle class, is terrible for small business owners, fucks over people with pensions, and diminishes employment.

For example when I was 19 in the year 1999 I got a job as an entry level roofer. Minimum wage was $5.15 an hour and I started at $10 and hour. Now minimum wage in Michigan is $9.25 and entry level non-union laborer/construction jobs usually start at around $12.00 an hour now.

Business owners probably be like shit mang, and their low skilled employees be like hey this is great.

I am very much for it, wish it would happen in America. What better check and balance in place for corporate tax cuts than raising the minimum wage

15 an hour is too much in Alabama and not enough in California or New York. So maybe states should decide?

It's a bump of too high a scale for an entire region in my opinion, but the doom and gloom about everyone losing their jobs (re @sniper ) is bunk.
Seattle you're starting to see problems and they haven't hit $15 yet, only at $13.

Employers are scaling back hours given to people. In some cases people are making less now at $13 an hour than they did at the initial bump of $11.

Back