Missing Files Motivated the Leak of Michael Cohen’s Financial Records

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The report also refers to two previous suspicious-activity reports, or sars, that the bank had filed, which documented even larger flows of questionable money into Cohen’s account. Those two reports detail more than three million dollars in additional transactions—triple the amount in the report released last week. Which individuals or corporations were involved remains a mystery. But, according to the official who leaked the report, these sars were absent from the database maintained by the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or fincen. The official, who has spent a career in law enforcement, told me, “I have never seen something pulled off the system. . . . That system is a safeguard for the bank. It’s a stockpile of information. When something’s not there that should be, I immediately became concerned.” The official added, “That’s why I came forward.”

Seven former government officials and other experts familiar with the Treasury Department’s fincen database expressed varying levels of concern about the missing reports. Some speculated that fincen may have restricted access to the reports due to the sensitivity of their content, which they said would be nearly unprecedented. One called the possibility “explosive.” A record-retention policy on fincen’s Web site notes that false documents or those “deemed highly sensitive” and “requiring strict limitations on access” may be transferred out of its master file. Nevertheless, a former prosecutor who spent years working with the fincen database said that she knew of no mechanism for restricting access to sars. She speculated that fincen may have taken the extraordinary step of restricting access “because of the highly sensitive nature of a potential investigation. It may be that someone reached out to fincen to ask to limit disclosure of certain sars related to an investigation, whether it was the special counsel or the Southern District of New York.” (The special counsel, Robert Mueller, is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential election. The Southern District is investigating Cohen, and the F.B.I. raided his office and hotel room last month.)

Great reporting by Farrow again.

Seems like the corrupt Chump administration thinks they can do whatever the fook they want as if they are above the law. Like a dicktatorship.

The Trump Crime Family is bad at covering up their crimes.
The problem is when Trump started dealing with the Russians when he was broke, nobody cared he was just a loud mouthed businessman that most of the old money in New York, thought was a con man, nobody gave a shit. Now he is the President of the United States and the one party not in power, will go through everything he does with a fine tooth comb and bust him out on his corruption and lies. The Democrats are not some tile contractor Trump can stiff and get away with it. They wont be afraid of litigation. Basically being a bully no longer will work. Slowly all the shady shit the Trump Crime Family is involved with is slowly dripping and dripping out.
Don't worry the Lick Spittles will contort their believes and lie to themselves and will keep on supporting the Orange Con Man.

can you imagine how crooked you have to be in order for someone to risk going to prison to let the world know?

The Trump Crime Family is bad at covering up their crimes.
The problem is when Trump started dealing with the Russians when he was broke, nobody cared he was just a loud mouthed businessman that most of the old money in New York, thought was a con man, nobody gave a shit. Now he is the President of the United States and the one party not in power, will go through everything he does with a fine tooth comb and bust him out on his corruption and lies. The Democrats are not some tile contractor Trump can stiff and get away with it. They wont be afraid of litigation. Basically being a bully no longer will work. Slowly all the shady shit the Trump Crime Family is involved with is slowly dripping and dripping out.
Don't worry the Lick Spittles will contort their believes and lie to themselves and will keep on supporting the Orange Con Man.

You should come join us in the Trump won’t get indicted thread. I don’t want to miss out on these delicious tears.

Back