Mississippi School District Pulls ‘to Kill a Mockingbird’ from Curriculum for ‘Making People Uncomfo

Maybe I do. If it helps end victim culture, then whatever. Lesser of two evils IMO.

I'm confused. I thought being sensitive to this kind of thing was for SJWs? Banning books for non PC language?

Is it possible...that there's some hypocrisy here and the crazies on this site actually completely lack principles?!

I'm shocked, Seano.

I'm confused. I thought being sensitive to this kind of thing was for SJWs? Banning books for non PC language?

Is it possible...that there's some hypocrisy here and the crazies on this site actually completely lack principles?!

I'm shocked, Seano.
<NoneOfMy>

Isn't making people uncomfortable basically the entire fucking point of the book?

Just when you think the education curriculum in Mississippi can't get any shittier, they decide to kill off literary classics. Well done.

Don't you know public schools are run predominantly by liberals? Even in the south.
So you are just throwing shit randomly

Does this sound familiar?

In conservative states and districts, Republicans have been stacking school boards with radical right wingers, with an eye towards rewriting textbook and educational standards so they are more amendable to the conservative cause.

While conservative attacks on science in classrooms get a lot of attention, the latest trend is, if anything, even more worrisome: Conservative school board officials are quietly trying to rewrite history and social studies curriculum, erasing parts of history they don't like and simply making up history they wish was true.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/story/16159795/

Should replace it with The Art of the Deal. The world has enough losers.

Not enough facepalm in the world for this

I'm ok with this. Why do we want our kids reading racially charged stories that do nothing but create white guilt and black resentment? All it does is add to the sjw-ing of our society.
<{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}><{CMPALM}>

The entire point of education and schools is to make students uncomfortable. That is how you learn. Children need to be challenged to learn how to navigate the world.

Should've banned Catcher in the Rye or Wuthering Heights. Much more deserving, imo.

I went to a high school that was about 40% black and none of them read the book even when it was assigned.

Don't you know public schools are run predominantly by liberals? Even in the south.

Yeah, for many years liberals have lead to the charge to ban books. Here is the list of most targeted books for banning from 2000-2009. Would you guess Liberals or Conservatives lead the charge to ban these books?

1. Harry Potter (series), by J.K. Rowling
2. Alice series, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
3. The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
4. And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell
5. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
6. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou
7. Scary Stories (series), by Alvin Schwartz
8. His Dark Materials (series), by Philip Pullman
9. ttyl; ttfn; l8r g8r (series), by Lauren Myracle
10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

Here are the top 5 for 2016. Guessing Liberals or Conservative are challenging?

1. This One Summer written by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by Jillian Tamaki
    Reasons: challenged because it includes LGBT characters, drug use and profanity, and it was considered sexually explicit with mature themes
  2. Drama written and illustrated by Raina Telgemeier
    Reasons: challenged because it includes LGBT characters, was deemed sexually explicit, and was considered to have an offensive political viewpoint
  3. George written by Alex Gino
    Reasons: challenged because it includes a transgender child, and the “sexuality was not appropriate at elementary levels”
  4. I Am Jazz written by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings, and illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
    Reasons: challenged because it portrays a transgender child and because of language, sex education, and offensive viewpoints
  5. Two Boys Kissing written by David Levithan
    Reasons: challenged because its cover has an image of two boys kissing, and it was considered to include sexually explicit LGBT conten

Being born and raised in the South, I'm SURE that none of those kids have ever heard any language like that written in "To Kill A Mockingbird" already....

<YeahOKJen>

Last edited:
Yeah, for many years liberals have lead to the charge to ban books. Here is the list of most targeted books for banning from 2000-2009. Would you guess Liberals or Conservatives lead the charge to ban these books?

1. Harry Potter (series), by J.K. Rowling
2. Alice series, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
3. The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
4. And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell
5. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
6. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou
7. Scary Stories (series), by Alvin Schwartz
8. His Dark Materials (series), by Philip Pullman
9. ttyl; ttfn; l8r g8r (series), by Lauren Myracle
10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

Here are the top 5 for 2016. Guessing Liberals or Conservative are challenging?

1. This One Summer written by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by Jillian Tamaki
    Reasons: challenged because it includes LGBT characters, drug use and profanity, and it was considered sexually explicit with mature themes
  2. Drama written and illustrated by Raina Telgemeier
    Reasons: challenged because it includes LGBT characters, was deemed sexually explicit, and was considered to have an offensive political viewpoint
  3. George written by Alex Gino
    Reasons: challenged because it includes a transgender child, and the “sexuality was not appropriate at elementary levels”
  4. I Am Jazz written by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings, and illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
    Reasons: challenged because it portrays a transgender child and because of language, sex education, and offensive viewpoints
  5. Two Boys Kissing written by David Levithan
    Reasons: challenged because its cover has an image of two boys kissing, and it was considered to include sexually explicit LGBT conten
LMAO, my daughter read Drama last year in 2nd grade.

Back