MLB Offseason - Stanton to SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we really got Bruce for 3 years, I wouldn't hate it depending on the money. Already going on in the next few years, signing a FA isn't going to change much.

PANIK
POSEY
BELT
LONGORIA
BRUCE
PENCE
CRAWFORD
STEVEN DUGGAR

Wouldn't be too bad.

Rather have Arroyo then Longoria by far. He has become a 20 hr and little over 300 OBP guy now.

I would have rather traded Panik for some prospects or value and let Arroyo play 2B.

We know Panik can do it at a high level with MLB pitching. Arroyo looks good but hasn’t done anything of note in the bigs yet. No reason to hang on to both and if Arroyo goes to help address another need I’m okay with it. Think Longoria will work out well.

Now they need to sign or trade for some outfield help.

We know Panik can do it at a high level with MLB pitching. Arroyo looks good but hasn’t done anything of note in the bigs yet. No reason to hang on to both and if Arroyo goes to help address another need I’m okay with it. Think Longoria will work out well.

Now they need to sign or trade for some outfield help.
Arroyo has a little more power IMO, and he will be cheaper for longer which we need. Panik is already 27, which isn't old but isn't really a core piece for a future rebuild. Arroyo at 22 has a chance to contribute after this team gets torn down in a few years. 2019/2020 are set up for disaster, this team is going to eventually have to get young and 2021 looks like a good bet.

We all were saying the same thing about Belt when he first came up and we see how that’s working out. Arroyo may have more power and be great, or he may be a frustrating almost-was like Belt is shaping up. I’m confident that Panik will be consistently good for the next several years so I’m not too worried about trading away someone who may be able to replace him at 2B. If Arroyo was an outfielder or some position we weren’t already set at I’d feel different.

We all were saying the same thing about Belt when he first came up and we see how that’s working out. Arroyo may have more power and be great, or he may be a frustrating almost-was like Belt is shaping up. I’m confident that Panik will be consistently good for the next several years so I’m not too worried about trading away someone who may be able to replace him at 2B. If Arroyo was an outfielder or some position we weren’t already set at I’d feel different.
Belt gets so much hate for SF fans that I will never understand. He's been 1st or 2nd on the team in OPS+ for 3 straight years. Joe Panik is a nice player that would fit in the 2 or 7-8 hole in lots of lineups. He's not a core piece we should be paying in a few years, which is why I was fine replacing him with a similar cheaper option Arroyo.

Belt gets so much hate for SF fans that I will never understand. He's been 1st or 2nd on the team in OPS+ for 3 straight years

I don’t hate him, he’s just very inconsistent and prone to long cold streaks. And still has a huge hole inside on his swing. Always solid defensively though. His bat though. Frustrating.

I'm fine with Jay Bruce for 3 years, perfect for the 2020/2021 rebuild blow up

Yup. Then if they can add one more outfielder I think they’ll be alright. Lots of names still out there that could work.

They paid that much for Longo for the single reason it left them enough space to sign a oFer and stay under tax line.

Going into the offseason they had 2 options -

1) Fire sale - start the rebuild, move every big contract while they have value. Get a Chris Sale type package for Bumgarner and quarters on the dollar for the rest of the team (I would have done this)

2) chalk last year up to everything that could go wrong, going wrong. Fill the 2 holes in the lineup, kick the can down the road until 2020 when you have no choice in rebuilding. (This is obviously what they are doing, which is understandable because they want to keep the money coming in but it will take a lot longer to rebuild. All those contracts will be negative value by then )

idk I think the Giants might be in contention for that second WC spot.

and im shocked bum is only 28, dude looks mid 30s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back