MMA broadcasting shuffle continues: Jay Glazer joins Bellator crew, debuts at Bellator 192

AGEZ909

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
By Matt Erickson January 16, 2018 1:05 pm

jay-glzer.jpg

The game of proverbial musical chairs in the MMA broadcast world continues.

Bellator today announced Jay Glazer has joined its broadcast team and will make his promotional debut Saturday for its Bellator 192 event on Paramount Network (formerly Spike). Glazer had been part of the UFC broadcasting team at FOX Sports, for which he regularly served as a desk anchor for pre- and post-fight shows – though it was a role he appeared in less frequently in recent months.

Glazer’s main role with FOX is as the network’s NFL Insider, appearing on pre- and post-game coverage throughout the regular season and playoffs. Glazer today told MMAjunkie his duties with FOX’s NFL coverage are not changing, nor are any of his other non-MMA gigs.

And those gigs are many. He has a recurring role on the HBO series “Ballers,” starring Dwayne Johnson, which soon will begin shooting its fourth season. He owns the Unbreakable Performance Center in West Hollywood, Calif., which is a training facility used by many high-level athletes and entertainers. And his Merging Vets & Playersfoundation works with military veterans and athletes to help them transition to lives away from sports and combat.

“I’m excited to welcome Jay Glazer to the Bellator family,” Bellator President Scott Coker stated. “Jay’s knowledge and experience in sports television speaks for itself and he will be a great addition to our incredible broadcast team. As Bellator moves to Paramount Network, I look forward to having him involved with some of the biggest fights of the year.”

Bellator 192 takes place Saturday at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif., near Los Angeles. The main card airs on Paramount following prelims on MMAjunkie. In the main event, Chael Sonnen and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson fight in the first round of Bellator’s heavyweight grand prix tournament. In the co-feature, which Bellator is billing as a part of a double main event, welterweight champ Douglas Lima puts his title on the line against challenger Rory MacDonald.

Glazer is the latest broadcast acquisition for Bellator, which recently announced veteran MMA referee “Big” John McCarthy was joining its broadcast team. In 2017, Bellator signed longtime UFC play-by-play voice Mike Goldberg and combat broadcasting legend Mauro Ranallo. But earlier this month, Bellator’s longtime color commentator Jimmy Smith departed the promotion and recently signed with the UFC.

Glazer, according to a release from Bellator, will join reporter Jenn Brown, Goldberg, Ranallo, and commentators McCarthy and Sonnen, who will do occasional broadcast work when he isn’t fighting. In addition, Glazer also will appear in Bellator original content, likely similar to the pieces Smith was a part of online.

“I have always had a tremendous passion for MMA, where the relationships you develop are unlike any other sport,” Glazer stated. “And I am very fortunate to be able to continue these relationships with an incredible organization like Bellator. I’ve been friends with Scott for many years, and am ecstatic that he brought me into the Bellator family.”

Glazer started his broadcasting career with CBS Sports in 1999 after working at the New York Post. He later joined FOX Sports and has been a mainstay on “FOX NFL Sunday” for 14 years. In 2007, his seemingly relentless pursuits of NFL scoops earned him Sports Illustrated’s “Media Person of the Year” honor.

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/01/mma-br...er-joins-bellator-crew-debuts-at-bellator-192

Interesting. Has potential. Wish they would have stuck with Jimmy still though.

It was a bad move letting Jimmy go. He had that raw sex appeal that no in mma commentating can match. Well maybe Mauro Renallo

Back