MMA fighter won't compete in Bellator 195 due to his horrible $250 pay/$250 win fight contract.

SakuWandyCop

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

People like to complain about UFC pay their fighters peanuts but this is nothing compare to how Bellator prelim fighters has made their $.

Bellator pays you well if you're an ex UFC fighter or a washed up legend that draw TV ratings (Rory, Gegard, Rampage, etc.) Other than that, they don't give a shit about other fighters.

$250/250 is pretty ridiculous, at that point it might as well be free

At least throw in a Kimbo or Fedor bobblehead to this man!

the boost mobile phone that was randomly given away at WSOF might be worth more than this

That is trash pay by Bellator. However, what do regional circuits pay fighters? Bellator prelims are mostly just regional circuit guys looking for a fight that don't have a current card to be part of.

That is fucking outrageous.

I got paid the show money today for doing something FAR easier and less dangerous than a pro MMA fight.

Ridiculous.

Trash payday. We all know prelim fights are essentially regional guys, but Jesus give this guy a grand or something

Whats the usual rate for local amateurs with zero pro fights(that I can find) that are unlikely to be on TV or even fight infront of a decent sized audience? 10/10?

Also, you lose credibility when you act like Bellator should be held to the same pay for prelim standards as UFC. Since they don’t showcase them and it’s essentially no different than a local show on the undercard with a bigger brand name attached. It’s a one off agreement and he could take it or leave it. He made his choice.

Good early move though. String along an influential promoter into drafting a bout agreement only to post it and publicly reject it. Good play. I see things working out well for this fella.

Whats the usual rate for local amateurs with zero pro fights(that I can find) that are unlikely to be on TV or even fight infront of a decent sized audience? 10/10?

Also, you lose credibility when you act like Bellator should be held to the same standards as UFC. It’s a one off agreement and he could take it or leave it. He made his choice.

Good early move though. String along an influential promoter into drafting a bout agreement only to post it and publicly reject it. Good play. I see things working out well for this fella.
I completely understand where you are coming from. Bellator as a self sufficient entity probably doesn’t exist. I have a general sense of proportionality when it comes to how much ufc makes and pays out and how much Bellator makes and pays out.

A fighter with absolutely no name value shouldn’t be doing this stuff if he doesn’t want to burn bridges though.

Still, 250 is brutal

Thats about what a 4-1 ammy making a pro debut would make in most orgs. It is a little messed up because bellator has a bigger budget. At the same time though said fighter would be making what they would anywhere else, but also getting TV/Bellator exposure. Not great on bellators part but not a complete injustice to the guy imo. He gets a stage to fight on in his debut that other guys have to work their ass off for.

Thats about what a 4-1 ammy making a pro debut would make in most orgs. It is a little messed up because bellator has a bigger budget. At the same time though said fighter would be making what they would anywhere else, but also getting TV/Bellator exposure. Not great on bellators part but not a complete injustice to the guy imo. He gets a stage to fight on in his debut that other guys have to work their ass off for.
Bellator shouldn't give these locals some trash pay. This isn't KOTC. At least give them a grand like @AGEZ909 mentioned above

I completely understand where you are coming from. Bellator as a self sufficient entity probably doesn’t exist. I have a general sense of proportionality when it comes to how much ufc makes and pays out and how much Bellator makes and pays out.

A fighter with absolutely no name value shouldn’t be doing this stuff if he doesn’t want to burn bridges though.

Still, 250 is brutal

No doubt. I want all fighters to make more but it’s irritating when people who want to crap on Bellator scroll down to the prelims to make some point about fighter pay without really understanding that most of those aren’t under contract, are getting no less than they usually do, are inexperienced, and are kinda in a situation where the promoter can spin it as the promoter providing more of a service for the fighter than the other way around.

It’s like how some music artists pay promoters to get 15-20 minutes at a high profile festival or what not. A win under the Bellator banner for 500 bucks means more than a win under GenericFightingFederation for 600 bucks.

Bellator is the number 2 brand so when we hear about these fighters shilling tickets and getting paid shit it sounds terrible..and it probably is...but that’s how fighting on the local circuit is and people need to realize that Bellator prelims are the local circuit with a little more cache because it’s a bigger card than any club show. No, you haven’t made it if you open up The Bellator prelims at Mohegan..but Fighters keep doing it so I guess there is a lot of value there.

Coker just doesn’t see prelims as anything but fodder. That his price for the slot that he offered this fighter. This guy says he’ll work at dollar tree and I bet another fighter has already signed the same agreement.

I bet Michael Chandler got paid shit and had to help sell tickets when he fought prelims for Strikeforce in St. Louis back in the day.

Last edited:
Bellator shouldn't give these locals some trash pay. This isn't KOTC. At least give them a grand like @AGEZ909 mentioned above
that 1k/1k figure is arbitrarily chosen for sure, but i honestly thought that was floor pricing. i guess not. a company the size of bellator SHOULD ABSOLUTELY be paying more than a couple hundred dollars. these numbers are honestly laughable.

that said; lets look at the situation a little more objectively.

this kid is not doing himself any favors. idk if its true or not, but i guess he is making his debut. that is more or less what you would make in any regional event. also mentioned above, the difference between getting peanuts in bellator and getting peanuts in a truly regional event is that bellator will give you a bigger platform. there would probably 1 or 2 thousand people there live for this kids fight. bellator streaming the prelims on their website would also add more than a couple thousand eyeballs on him. if you perform, bellator could definitely offer you more.

what is his alternative? fighting in front of 25 people at the local ymca gym? or he could work at the dollar tree.

this kid more than likely burned a bridge.

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing they should pay more. I'm just pointing out there are plenty of fighters out there who would jump at 250/250 for a debut in bellator. So its not the worse injutice in the world.

that 1k/1k figure is arbitrarily chosen for sure, but i honestly thought that was floor pricing. i guess not. a company the size of bellator ABSOLUTELY SHOULD be paying more than a couple hundred dollars. these numbers are honestly laughable.

that said; lets look at the situation a little more objectively.

this kid is not doing himself any favors. idk if its true or not, but i guess he is making his debut. that is more or less what you would make in any regional event. also mentioned above, the difference between getting peanuts in bellator and getting peanuts in a truly regional event is that bellator will give you a bigger platform. there would probably 1 or 2 thousand people there live for this kids fight. bellator streaming the prelims on their website would also add more than a couple thousand eyeballs on him. if you perform, bellator could definitely offer you more.

what is his alternative? fighting in front of 25 people at the local ymca gym? or he could work at the dollar tree.

this kid more than likely burned a bridge.
You definitley made a great point. Basically you said that Bellator can give someone a crap pay but also gives them some attention aswell unlike a local event. If he win, Bellator can see his potential

I'm not disagreeing they should pay more. I'm just pointing out there are plenty of fighters out there who would jump at 250/250 for a debut in bellator. So its not the worse injutice in the world.
true

Good for him! If he can get a better gig do it

That’s still 1000$/hour rate (at worse)

Some ppl would love that type of deal

Back