MMA fighters have similar age to pro golfers, similar athletes?

The difference being that fighting requires anaerobic endurance as well as extremely sharp reflexes, which will decline with age

That’s why you see golfers in their 60s but not fighters lol
I see that, and I raise you Ken Shamrock

I see that, and I raise you Ken Shamrock

All the other Rizen(spelling) fighters are basically poster boys for the argument I'm making. You have guys like Shamrock etc still competing at a pro level, whats stopping anyone who's a golfer from hopping on a cycle and making the switch mid 20s to becoming a contender in MMA other than the money they'd be walking away from for $5k to show $5k to win? What did Forest have athletically that left him put a whooping on LHW at the time Shogun and Rampage that these guys don't?

Not trolling, do you think that MMA requires more athleticism than the average golfer possesses? It's a serious question, if you look at TUF the prospects that go on to win haven't been anything special (Forest Griffin wouldn't be able to transfer over to any other pro sports save Darts, Bowling, Golf etc..) Yet Forest went on to beat Shogun (considered LHW GOAT at the time) and Rampage.

If you think I'm trolling try opening your mind and forgetting your MMA elitism. Roy Nelson was a gate keeper and Forest took down some great names despite being an average joe off the street with a strong will.. Golfers have strong nerves and balls too my friend.

Fighting is different than any other sport because you get hit in the head and someone is literally trying to break your body down. Have you ever heard stories about guys who beat everyone in the gym, but fold in the ring/octagon? It's true, because they can't handle pressure even though they are maybe superior athletes or more skilled.

Most other sports have many matches or tournaments per year and they are games. So if you lose one game or a few games, you can still catch up and you forget your losses quickly. If you get knocked out a few times in a row, it's not that easy to recover mentally, physically or financially. It's even worse if you were in a 5 round war.

Also, conditioning for games and conditioning for fighting is a different thing. People get exhausted in combat sports because the pressure drains them, it's not just the pressure of competition which exists in every sport, but you are being defeated as a man on a primal level, it is literally one of the most primitive emotions one can experience. How the hell does that compare to a lost golf tournament, basketball game or some tennis match? Do you even know how many times fighters fight with themselves, even once they enter a ring/octagon? They are constantly questioning their choice of even doing this for a living, yet still they compete.

In theory you should be able to train a fighter to take fighting as just another game and to treat like it was really fighting in the gym or as just another sports. But once you get hit in the head and that primal instinct kicks in, it's not so easy.

I can tell you I have been in a few fist fights myself as an adolescent and even as a young adult in my early mid twenties and it didn't take much. I can also tell you that I have crumpled trying to hit a nice tee shot in front of a cute beer cart girl and some golfers that were waiting in the cart behind us to tee off.

lol at trying to compare playground fights with the neighborhood kids and street fights to pro level mma. A street fight has no 3 month build up where youre thinking about nothing but your opponent and all the what ifs. A street fight is most likely against some donk who has no clue how to fight and is in no condition to fight. Street fights last seconds to a couple minutes at most. And they start suddenly and quickly so very little stress is involved. Adrenaline and instinct immediately takes over. A street fight doesnt have millions watching and lights and cameras in your face with a whirlwind of media judging your every move.

Fighting is different than any other sport because you get hit in the head and someone is literally trying to break your body down. Have you ever heard stories about guys who beat everyone in the gym, but fold in the ring/octagon? It's true, because they can't handle pressure even though they are maybe superior athletes or more skilled.

Most other sports have many matches or tournaments per year and they are games. So if you lose one game or a few games, you can still catch up and you forget your losses quickly. If you get knocked out a few times in a row, it's not that easy to recover mentally, physically or financially. It's even worse if you were in a 5 round war.

Also, conditioning for games and conditioning for fighting is a different thing. People get exhausted in combat sports because the pressure drains them, it's not just the pressure of competition which exists in every sport, but you are being defeated as a man on a primal level, it is literally one of the most primitive emotions one can experience. How the hell does that compare to a lost golf tournament, basketball game or some tennis match? Do you even know how many times fighters fight with themselves, even once they enter a ring/octagon? They are constantly questioning their choice of even doing this for a living, yet still they compete.

In theory you should be able to train a fighter to take fighting as just another game and to treat like it was really fighting in the gym or as just another sports. But once you get hit in the head and that primal instinct kicks in, it's not so easy.

Overeem has been knocked out literally tens of times (nearly 20) and is still collecting checks and firing off wins here and there. A lot of these guys are proven performers under the gun so to speak, the guys you're talking about that break stay at the amateur level and never make the PGA, or at best they have a flash in the pan performance on day one or two and then flame out hilariously under the pressure of the Tigers and Mickelsons. I trained boxing in my youth and have been in street fights, I think you guys don't understand that being in a fight isn't that intimidating or scary. It's like someone who is afraid of rejection, the idea that it's scary and terrifying to some doesn't mean that 20% of us aren't getting laid and hitting on girls getting rejected on a regular basis as well.

Don't project your fear of fighting and girls et all onto proven pressure performers, srs.

All the other Rizen(spelling) fighters are basically poster boys for the argument I'm making. You have guys like Shamrock etc still competing at a pro level, whats stopping anyone who's a golfer from hopping on a cycle and making the switch mid 20s to becoming a contender in MMA other than the money they'd be walking away from for $5k to show $5k to win? What did Forest have athletically that left him put a whooping on LHW at the time Shogun and Rampage that these guys don't?

Huh

Didn't I just support your argument lol look what I quoted when I said that.

Best thread in ages. The level of details is amazing. Keep it up pal!

lol at trying to compare playground fights with the neighborhood kids and street fights to pro level mma. A street fight has no 3 month build up where youre thinking about nothing but your opponent and all the what ifs. A street fight is most likely against some donk who has no clue how to fight and is in no condition to fight. Street fights last seconds to a couple minutes at most. And they start suddenly and quickly so very little stress is involved. Adrenaline and instinct immediately takes over. A street fight doesnt have millions watching and lights and cameras in your face with a whirlwind of media judging your every move.

Getting into a fight that a ref can't stop and can lead to a world star style walloping if you're ko'd (actual brain damage and missing teeth etc) isn't as scary? LOL. You ever see those harambes dropping 20+ punches on unconscious victims? They make Mazagatti look like an angel of mercy..

The thoughts running through my mind before I got into a last street fight about 5 years ago were I hope this guy isn't concealing a knife and doesnt leave me in a pool dying on the ground. I live in the North End of Winnipeg and you hear about stuff like this all the time. Yeah, getting choked unconscious and having someone step in to save you is way more scary.

Getting into a fight that a ref can't stop and can lead to a world star style walloping if you're ko'd (actual brain damage and missing teeth etc) isn't as scary? LOL. You ever see those harambes dropping 20+ punches on unconscious victims? They make Mazagatti look like an angel of mercy..

The thoughts running through my mind before I got into a last street fight about 5 years ago were I hope this guy isn't concealing a knife and leaves me in a pool dying on the ground. I live in the North End of Winnipeg and you hear about stuff like this all the time. Yeah, getting choked unconscious and having someone step in is way more scary.

take some pro fights then if you think youre so bad

take some pro fights then if you think youre so bad

I'm a thirty year old manager who makes more than the average UFC fighter.. I boxed on the side as a hobby and basic form of self defense as a young man. I'm not trying to come across as some bad ass, If you read my posts clearly I am discussing athleticism and putting forth well reasoned arguments.

You're hitting me with some random shots calling out my character.. I'm just saying if you think that hitting a drive or a put with 5 million on the line is less scary than fighting in front of a thousand people for 5 grand that maybe those things aren't too far off in terms of pressure to perform etc.

You guys are basically saying that Andy Wang has more gumption than Tiger Woods and performs better under pressure than him. I've got news for you, I'm sure Woods or Mickleson could put out a better quality fight than Andy Freaking Wang with a few years training..

All these snide responses and gifs yet no words. We wonder why Sherdog is the laughing stock of the forums world yet no one has come up with any decent counter arguments other than "HERP WHY ARENT YOU A PRO FIGHTER BRO".

Just Bleed posting at it's best in the face of calm and collected reason.

I'm a thirty year old manager who makes more than the average UFC fighter.. I boxed on the side as a hobby and basic form of self defense as a young man. I'm not trying to come across as some bad ass, If you read my posts clearly I am discussing athleticism and putting forth well reasoned arguments.

You're hitting me with some random shots calling out my character.. I'm just saying if you think that hitting a drive or a put with 5 million on the line is less scary than fighting in front of a thousand people for 5 grand that maybe those things aren't too far off in terms of pressure to perform etc.

All I see are excuses. Age, money blah blah, same as all those golfers and basketball players. Its fucking bullshit. If Lebron or Tiger Woods could just waltz into the ufc and destroy everyone then why dont they fuckin do it? Money isnt even an excuse. They would get paid a shit load of money, even if its less than what they get in their sport. They just dont have the balls and know theyd get their asses kicked.

All I see are excuses. Age, money blah blah, same as all those golfers and basketball players. Its fucking bullshit. If Lebron or Tiger Woods could just waltz into the ufc and destroy everyone then why dont they fuckin do it? Money isnt even an excuse. They would get paid a shit load of money, even if its less than what they get in their sport. They just dont have the balls and know theyd get their asses kicked.

I'm not debating motivation for picking up sport, I'm comparing athleticism. Talk about going in to write an exam in med school on the body and dropping off an essay on healthcare economics. Reading comprehension not even once.

Speaking on motivations and the economics behind it though and delving into your analysis: Why would someone who has earned literally half a billion dollars give it up to go prove they are a meat head for $5k to show? That's like leaving a position as CEO to go work the fry cooker at McDonalds to show you can be a Neanderthal.

I'm not debating motivation for picking up sport, I'm comparing athleticism. Talk about going in to write an exam in med school on the body and dropping off an essay on healthcare economics. Reading comprehension not even once.

Speaking on motivations and the economics behind it though and delving into your analysis: Why would someone who has earned literally half a billion dollars give it up to go prove they are a meat head for $5k to show? That's like leaving a position as CEO to go work the fry cooker at McDonalds to show you can be a Neanderthal.

Yeah whatever. You can try to degrade the sport of mma all you want but there is NOTHING more prestigious than being the best fighter in the world. That is the pinnacle of alpha male shit. It would make them legends and gods of gods but they want none of it. Because they know theyd be mere peasants and mortals in the ufc. Theyd rather stick to a lesser expression of alpha male shit and stay the gods of those lesser worlds. As I said, money is the excuse of pussies.

Yeah whatever. You can try to degrade the sport of mma all you want but there is NOTHING more prestigious than being the best fighter in the world. That is the pinnacle of alpha male shit. It would make them legends and gods of gods but they want none of it. Because they know theyd be mere peasants and mortals in the ufc. Theyd rather stick to a lesser expression of alpha male shit and stay the gods of those lesser worlds. As I said, money is the excuse of pussies.

I'm not trying to degrade MMA at all? If you read the thread clearly I'm a fan of both golf and MMA, so I'm not sure how comparing one sport I'm a fan of to another sport which I am also a fan of is a bad thing. As someone who has both been punched in the face and golfing numerous times I can tell you I would much rather be Mickelson waking up without a splitting head ache from sparring, hitting the course for a nice serene 09:00 tee time that going in to cut weight. Alpha-ness aside, when you're secure with who you are you don't care about things as trivial as world wide status. If you've seen the girls Dustin Johnson pulls they're just as hot as the ones Randy Couture and Stipe get I'll assure you of that, and I'm only using that to justify your shallow definition of "alphaness".

If you're constantly sizing people up from a physical perspective in your day to day interactions as who's "alpha" or not, you don't even grasp the concept. Lot's of alphas who aren't physical beasts. Ever see the way Tom Cruize runs things? (pre oprah scientology mental break down for example) The dudes a manlet even.

Speaking of Tom Cruize, I bet with a few years of training and some juice he beats Andy Wang to advance to the next round on TUF.

I'm not trying to degrade MMA at all? If you read the thread clearly I'm a fan of both golf and MMA, so I'm not sure how comparing one sport I'm a fan of to another sport which I am also a fan of is a bad thing. As someone who has both been punched in the face and golfing numerous times I can tell you I would much rather be Mickelson waking up without a splitting head ache from sparring, hitting the course for a nice serene 09:00 tee time that going in to cut weight. Alpha-ness aside, when you're secure with who you are you don't care about things as trivial as world wide status. If you've seen the girls Dustin Johnson pulls they're just as hot as the ones Randy Couture and Stipe get I'll assure you of that, and I'm only using that to justify your shallow definition of "alphaness".

If you're constantly sizing people up from a physical perspective in your day to day interactions as who's "alpha" or not, you don't even grasp the concept. Lot's of alphas who aren't physical beasts. Ever see the way Tom Cruize runs things? (pre oprah scientology mental break down for example) The dudes a manlet even.

Man you talk way too much. And yes you are degrading mma. Youre saying the nba and golf are A level sports with so called A level athletes that could come into the ufc with little training and dominate the so called c level ufc athletes. You have no respect for the skill, technique and everything else involved to be a high level mma fighter. You say mma is comparatively easy and takes less nerve and concentration than golf. You say mma is for neanderthals that isnt worthy enough to be graced by a sophisticated A level athlete such as Tiger Woods. Yet youre not degrading the sport, yeah ok.

Back