MMA fighters that rely exclusively or heavily on boxing for their stand up

MaxMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looking to book a fight here in the next 2-4 months. My wrestling and jiujitsu are already on track. Unfortunately in the stand up department I've only been working boxing for the last year. I have some experience in both MT and TKD, but because of location for MT, and time constraints for TKD I have not been able to practice these styles in quite some time. I prefer to not wing these styles on my own with other partners without the oversight of a legit coach as these two styles I have the least experience of all of them.

This will be my 16th MMA fight and as I said, I do have some experience in MT and TKD, and both KB and MMA sparring will be a regular staple of my training camp so its not like I'm going to be stepping into the cage completely clueless about defending kicks.

However if you guys could help me out, I'd like to study several MMA fighters that rely exclusively or heavily on boxing as their stand up art. Already have rampage, garbarant, mcnugget, platinum perry on the list. Could you guys give me some more? Even lesser known fighters would be great as long as I can find some decent footage online.

Thanks!

Holloway?

Maybe Chad Mendez, not purely boxing, but I see some good stuff esp. in feinting TDs with his striking.

Aldo has been more boxing oriented from what I've noticed

Anderson Silva is surely the greatest striking based MMA fighter of all time. His style is neither muay thai or boxing (though strikes from both are incorporated).

In fact, he proved that striking is sufficient with enough preperation.

Looking to book a fight here in the next 2-4 months. My wrestling and jiujitsu are already on track. Unfortunately in the stand up department I've only been working boxing for the last year. I have some experience in both MT and TKD, but because of location for MT, and time constraints for TKD I have not been able to practice these styles in quite some time. I prefer to not wing these styles on my own with other partners without the oversight of a legit coach as these two styles I have the least experience of all of them.

This will be my 16th MMA fight and as I said, I do have some experience in MT and TKD, and both KB and MMA sparring will be a regular staple of my training camp so its not like I'm going to be stepping into the cage completely clueless about defending kicks.

However if you guys could help me out, I'd like to study several MMA fighters that rely exclusively or heavily on boxing as their stand up art. Already have rampage, garbarant, mcnugget, platinum perry on the list. Could you guys give me some more? Even lesser known fighters would be great as long as I can find some decent footage online.

Thanks!

Miocic, Cormier, Woodley, Couture, Velasquez, Evans, Rampage, Weidman, Hendricks, GSP, Hughes, Alvarez, Edgar, Cruz, Garbrandt, JDS, Arlovski, Carwin, Liddell, Penn, Serra, Lawler, McGregor, Aldo, all current/former UFC Champs who primarily throw hands.

Miocic, Cormier, Woodley, Couture, Velasquez, Evans, Rampage, Weidman, Hendricks, GSP, Hughes, Alvarez, Edgar, Cruz, Garbrandt, JDS, Arlovski, Carwin, Liddell, Penn, Serra, Lawler, McGregor, Aldo, all current/former UFC Champs who primarily throw hands.
Holloway?

Maybe Chad Mendez, not purely boxing, but I see some good stuff esp. in feinting TDs with his striking.

Aldo has been more boxing oriented from what I've noticed

Thanks for the name drops dudes. Admittedly, Between my jobs, family and training, I rarely watch MMA unless its an event I'm involved with.

Thanks for the name drops dudes. Admittedly, Between my jobs, family and training, I rarely watch MMA unless its an event I'm involved with.
I hear ya, only recently have I started to watch televised fights more frequent despite training for 5.5 years. When I hear of a name its because my coach or the high level fighters tell me to check out to get an idea of what I could try to do stylistic-wise.

I disagree with most of the names listed, particularly Holloway. He throws more spin kicks than like 99% of the UFC.

People that use almost nothing but boxing are usually washed up old fighters that got a taste for their punching power, and lost the ability to fight in MMA as a result. Think Rampage, Nelson, and BJ.

Jorge Masvidal is one to look at. Hes a well roundsd striker but I feel his boxing is his best stuff.

Tyron Woodley has some of the best MMA hands. He outstruck a Kickboxing Champion (Wonderboy) in their first fight.

Last edited:
I disagree with most of the names listed, particularly Holloway. He throws more spin kicks than like 99% of the UFC.

People that use almost nothing but boxing are usually washed up old fighters that got a taste for their punching power, and lost the ability to fight in MMA as a result. Think Rampage, Nelson, and BJ.

Every single guy I listed relies heavily/primarily on their hands

Every single guy I listed relies heavily/primarily on their hands

Every single guy in the entire sport except like, Maia relies heavily/primarily on their hands. But they mostly use MMA, not purely or mostly boxing.

Every single guy in the entire sport except like, Maia relies heavily/primarily on their hands. But they mostly use MMA, not purely or mostly boxing.

Pettis, Barboza, Cro Cop, Rockhold, Cerrone, Makdessi, Condit, Wonderboy, Jones, Dillashaw, Moraes, Saffiedine, Rodriguez, Hall, and many others are all much more reliant on kicks, knees and elbows than punches, especially compared to the guys I listed--though yea they're still more boxing-heavy than most pure standup fighters because that's the nature of MMA with the takedowns and small gloves.

Back