MMA would be the laughingstock and not taken seriously as a pro sport if Stipe remains champ

He’s already the champion so I guess than damage has already been done?

MMA would be the laughingstock of combat sports and not taken seriously as a pro sport if Stipe remains champ.

This is not a Stipe bashing thread. The point is that at this level, guys who are part-time fighters working two jobs or more are not supposed to have enough training time to be elite.

The days of part-time or full-time math teachers, accountants, or engineers being UFC champions should be in the past chapters of MMA.

In no other respectable pro sports do we see the athletes working side jobs and still be at the top, let alone be champion.

If Stipe wins next Saturday, it would be a step back for MMA, because it shows that MMA has not evolved much and the level of talents are still mediocre compared to other respectable pro sports.

Actually no one would care,and Fire fighting is a gutsy very dangerous occupation.

All common sense goes out the window in DA HEAVYWEIGHT division bro!

The fight with nuclear missiles, not .22 like Mcgregor's division.

Bo jackson had a part time job as a Major League Baseball player when he was an nfl running back. What a joke

<DirkMavs>

Daniel Cormier is LHW champ and he has not been a full time fighter in many years, he has so many other jobs he does, no way he can train full time, I see him on TV most days and he seems to have many other jobs too .

MMA would be the laughingstock of combat sports and not taken seriously as a pro sport if Stipe remains champ.

This is not a Stipe bashing thread. The point is that at this level, guys who are part-time fighters working two jobs or more are not supposed to have enough training time to be elite.

The days of part-time or full-time math teachers, accountants, or engineers being UFC champions should be in the past chapters of MMA.

In no other respectable pro sports do we see the athletes working side jobs and still be at the top, let alone be champion.

If Stipe wins next Saturday, it would be a step back for MMA, because it shows that MMA has not evolved much and the level of talents are still mediocre compared to other respectable pro sports.

I never cease to be amazed how many people keep spouting this utter shite.

It just so happens that Stipe is one of those work-hard types that gets a little anxious if they're not busy doing something. So he keeps on with a part-time second job. It makes him feel good about being able to help people, he enjoys the camaraderie of his firefighting brotherhood, and he says it helps keep him grounded and sane. And somehow that's supposed to be a black eye not only on him but the entire freaking sport?

Do us all a favor and stand in front of a fire hose going full blast.

It's a tough guy job. That's part of being a fighter. I'd say it makes him one of the most legit real athletes we have. I completely disagree with ts. It's a load of bullshit.

TS thinks fighters train 8 hours a day, 5 to 7 days week even when they don’t have a fight scheduled.

Early candidate for Dumbest Thread of the Year. Mods take note.

Riddick Bowe was one of the best HW champion boxers of the last 30 years and he's also a truck driver.

Early candidate for Dumbest Thread of the Year. Mods take note.

The sad thing is that it's not the first time a thread's been made to express the idea, not by a long shot. It's not even the first time this day I've seen a post saying something like it.

Also LOL at saying "side job" like he's doing some stupid bullshit job. He's a fuckin fireman and bad motherfucker.

I've got friends that are pretty casual fans and when they heard he was a fireman it just made them think he was more awesome.

Also fuck ball sports. Let's play with a ball and then talk shit and act like we're all badasses!

I think it’s dumb for an individual to become a full-time fighter, the money and long-term financial stability are greatly lacking in MMA.

Good on Stipe, he’s doing the right thing.

Heavyweight top 5 has the oldest average age of all divisions. It is the geriatric division, and we also shuffle around the old farts of yesteryear at light heavyweight as well. Men that size with elite athletic ability do not go into MMA as their first option.

The overall quality of athlete, skill level and by-the-numbers depth of fighters signed is much better at 155/170. You can't judge the sport by one of its weakest divisions.

Until the entry level pay for UFC contracted heavyweights making their debut changes dramatically, you are not going to see any elite athletes joining the heavyweight ranks. You need to have someone from the third world literally trip and fall into the sport to get an athlete like Nganou in the first place.

I don't know about a laughing stock, but MMA has a long way to go to be considered a "serious pro sport". That much is not in dispute.

You just have to look at the OTT shenanigans that guys are resorting to in an effort to make bank. Very few fighters in this sport have hit a serious pay day on talent alone. That's why the likes of Stipe and Tyron have condemned themselves to a salty existence. They're expecting this to be something it isn't - a sport in which adulation is doled out based on ability alone.

Riddick Bowe was one of the best HW champion boxers of the last 30 years and he's also a truck driver.

He's retired from boxing and is now learning to drive trucks. That's not the same as driving trucks while competing as a champ.

Back