MM's Coach Matt Hume breaks down why PRIDE was better.

Ken Fresno

Interim Belt
@red
Reaction score

1) IPPON - The forgotten art of trying to finish your opponent.

2) Damage

3) Combination striking and ground control

4) Takedowns and Defense

5) Aggressiveness

The PRIDE scoring rules started and ended with aggressiveness.

Bonus criteria:

6) Weight differential - You get the benefit in all other criteria if you are giving up 22+ pounds. Not even applicable in Disney's McUFC presented by Reebok.

In subsequent videos, Hume discusses finish bonuses, production value, fighter uniforms, promotional nuances, boring commentators, and wmma.. but I'll post those somewhere else.

100%

This is why finishing fights is a necessary condition for being a Goat contender

the ref yelling for action, its basically like a fan booing in the crowd except hes the ref and in the ring and yelling in your face for action

Agree with all that, but I prefer the cage to the ring. There was a break in action almost every 3 minutes it seemed, because the ref constantly had to move the fighters from almost falling out of the ring to the middle.

I like that knees and stomps to downed opponents were legal, but the ban of elbows in PRIDE was weird and unnecessary.

Yeah I miss the juiced up Pride animals too..

AnotherElderlyApe-max-1mb.gif

the fights were more entertaining and they promoted the fighters better.

To be fair, I don’t think the athletic commission would sanction a bout with a 22 lb weight differential.

Matt, the scoring means shit when the fights are fixed.

Matt, the scoring means shit when the fights are fixed.

yeah, 100% of the fights were fixed. Nothing ever happened that wasn't supposed to.

All the fries and ranch blocking blood to your brain Yinzer

Agree with all that, but I prefer the cage to the ring. There was a break in action almost every 3 minutes it seemed, because the ref constantly had to move the fighters from almost falling out of the ring to the middle.

I like that knees and stomps to downed opponents were legal, but the ban of elbows in PRIDE was weird and unnecessary.

The ban of kicking or kneeing a downed opponent in the head is also weird and unnecessary.

Winning 10-9 rounds, and winning fights through “significant” strikes, hugging, cage pinning, surprise takedowns, is also all weird and unnecessary.

yeah, 100% of the fights were fixed. Nothing ever happened that wasn't supposed to.

All the fries and ranch blocking blood to your brain Yinzer
You do know the UFC bought them for a song because they lost there tv deal due to yakuza ties. They literally lost the business for fixing fights.

To be fair, I don’t think the athletic commission would sanction a bout with a 22 lb weight differential.

They would sanction a fight with a 60 pound weight difference at heavyweight. They just wouldn't do it across made up weight divisions. Think on that playboy.

Things I didn't even mention because of the improbability of them ever being implemented:

Steroids: Allows fighters to recover and fight more often. Allows fighter to absorb much more damage in a given fight. Obviously aesthetics and power.

2 minutes between rounds
: Everybody wins. Only doesn't work when you have 20 fights on a card with no finishes.

Scoring the end heavier than the beginning: This was not mentioned by Hume, but an obvious difference that makes complete sense in a fight.

Yellow cards for stalling
: Glorious.

Kicks and Knees to the head on the ground: No more violent than standing head kicks or knees. WAY less hanging out in disadvantageous positions on the ground.

The Pride scoring system was far superior to the 10-9 system. I prefer the cage though.

You do know the UFC bought them for a song because they lost there tv deal due to yakuza ties. They literally lost the business for fixing fights.

I'm well aware of what occurred. As I said, all the ranch dressing and french fries are getting to your head (I know you Pittsburghers love the stuff).

Back