MNN (Brief Footage from Edgar Wright's THE WORLD'S END; Scarlett Johansson in LUCY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: March 15, 2013

Joss Whedon on VERONICA MARS Movie But No FIREFLY Movie

Firefly-Reunion-Dragonlord.jpg

Joss Whedon: “That’s what everybody wants to know about. Uh, yeah. My fourth feeling when I read about [the Veronica Mars Kickstarter campaign] was a kind of dread. Because I realized the only thing that would be on everybody’s mind right now. I’ve said repeatedly that I would love to make another movie with these guys, and that remains the case. It also remains the case that I’m booked up by Marvel for the next three years, and that I haven’t even been able to get Dr. Horrible 2 off the ground because of that. So I don’t even entertain the notion of entertaining the notion of doing this, and won’t. Couple years from now, when Nathan [Fillion]‘s no longer [on] Castle and I’m no longer the Tom Hagen of the Marvel Universe and making a giant movie, we might look and see where the market is then. But right now, it’s a complete non-Kickstarter for me.”

“We come to Veronica Mars to hear her talk and hear her father talk. But Firefly/Serenity, it’s kind of a different animal — and then there’s also the question of what kind of animal it is. Because some people are talking about Firefly episodes. Some people are talking about [a new] Serenity. I think anything we could get off the ground would be appreciated by the fans. But what form it would take is I think under some debate.”

“For me, [Kickstarter] doesn’t just open the floodgates. God knows, things are cheaper now than when we made even Serenity. Good effects can be done in a different manner. Nor is that universe all about spectacle either. But it is a tad more expensive — and a little all-consuming! And of course, there’s the other fear: What if it’s not that good? I can do something that’s not that good — that’s fine. But if I do that and it’s not that good, I’m going to feel really stupid.”

“I understand that it feels not as pure, and that the presence of a studio makes it disingenuous somehow. But people clearly understood what was happening and just wanted to see more of the thing they love. To give them that opportunity doesn’t feel wrong. If it was a truly wrong move, I don’t think it would have worked. I feel like people would have said, ‘Hey, that’s not fair! That doesn’t count!’ It costs a lot to see a movie anyway. And it’s usually not one you like. That kind of passion, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing. I might not be thinking it through. I’m not exactly business Joe.”

Joss Whedo Happy with VERONICA MARS Movie, But Won't Work with FIREFLY Movie

Last edited:
Update: March 19, 2013

Rob Thomas Plans VERONICA MARS Documentary, Comic-Con Visit

Veronica-Mars-Kristen-Bell-5-Dragonlord.jpg

Rob Thomas: "We were built by fans, so we’ll try to do our best to keep the momentum going through that," he says, promising an open shoot with plenty of tweets and photos transmitted to the Internet. "We’re hoping to go to Comic-Con, maybe have some footage to show at Comic-Con. We have a documentary following the making of the movie."

"The movie is outlined, but frankly, I needed to know how we were doing to figure out how to model the script and how to write it. There are very specific things that are going to be affected by what our budget is," he says. For one, Thomas wants to be able to shoot in Southern California, where the series was originally set. That's more expensive than, say, Vancouver or Michigan, but the palm trees are worth it.

"There’s an altercation [at a high school reunion in the film], and how much money we raise affects whether that is having terse words exchanged or a full-on brawl," he adds. "One if we hit certain dollar amounts, and the less spectacular if we haven’t."

Rob Thomas Plans a 'Veronica Mars' Behind-the-Scenes Documentary, Comic-Con Visit

Last edited:
Jason Dohring Confirmed to Return for VERONICA MARS Movie

Jason-Dohring-0403-Dragonlord.jpg

With coffers stuffed by more than double its initial $2 million Kickstarter fundraising goal, the Veronica Mars movie project has finally begun casting characters other than, well, Veronica Mars. Jason Dohring has officially signed on to reprise the role of wealthy bad boy Logan Echolls, becoming the second returning actor (after lead Kristen Bell) to join the project.

There was never much doubt Dohring would return, especially after he showed up in the pitch video for Kickstarter. (Enrico Colantoni and Ryan Hansen also appeared, but neither has been set as of yet.) But it

Update: April 5, 2013

Rob Thomas Updates on VERONICA MARS; Has Finished First Draft

Vernoica-Mars-040513-Dragonlord.jpg

Rob Thomas: "I wanted to take a moment to explain something that I could have made clearer at the beginning: $2 million was our minimum goal. It would be enough to get a movie made, but it was never going to let us make the exact movie we really wanted to make, or the one we know you deserve. I’ve spoken to the press a lot in the past month — turns out they’ve been pretty excited about this whole thing — and one thing I’ve explained is that the final script will depend on how much we’re able to raise. $2 million would have been enough to get us back on the screen. When we started, we didn’t want to set our goal higher than that, for fear we might lose our chance to make the movie at all. But because of you, we did go higher. Way higher.

We’re at $4.5 million now. That’s a lot of money. But for a feature length movie, it’s still a pretty conservative budget. Everything you’ve pledged beyond the initial $2 million gives us more options, and for that I’m eternally grateful. More backing means more locations, more sets, more actors, and most important of all, more shooting days.

The bottom line? That extra support will give us the freedom to make the best movie possible. That additional money could mean the difference between a movie that lasts 90 minutes, and one that lasts 110. It could also mean the difference between us shooting in Southern California, where the series was shot, and in a less expensive location somewhere else.

'Veronica Mars' movie update: Rob Thomas has first draft, shares where the money is going

Last edited:
VERONICA MARS Movie Happening if Kickstarter Reaches $2 Million

Veronica-Mars-Cast-Dragonlord.jpg

For some, that’s the opening line to a tune by The Dandy Warhols. For others, that’s the beginning to the theme song of a cult classic TV show that has never left their thoughts: Veronica Mars, the sophisticated teen drama/mystery serial starring Kristen Bell (Showtime’s House of Lies) as a strong and spirited new-model Nancy Drew whose adventures explored and exposed the rotten, complex injustice in her seaside town of Neptune, Calif. Ever since The CW canceled the series in 2007 after three seasons (the first two on UPN), can’t-let-go fans have pined for a movie.

Today, creator Rob Thomas and Bell are launching a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for a low-budget Mars movie that would be shot this summer. The goal: $2 million in 30 days. If they reach it, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution has agreed to put the movie into production and pick up the tab for marketing, promotion, and distribution. The film would be released in the first quarter of 2014 for a limited-time theatrical run, before moving to VOD, iTunes, and other digital platforms. If they don’t reach the goal: No movie.

Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas Launch Kickstarter for a VERONICA MARS Movie

Last edited:
Update: April 24, 2013

Zach Braff Launches Kickstarter for His Film, WISH I WAS HERE

Zach-Braff-Kickstarter-Dragonlord.jpg

Another major star is turning to the fundraising service to get his next film made: Zach Braff. Though Braff hasn’t directed a feature film since 2004’s Garden State, he’s hoping to secure financing for his follow-up Wish I Was Here with an eye towards a Sundance 2014 debut. Unlike Veronica Mars, though, Braff’s Kickstarter is 100% independent with no studio involved. Braff was actually about to sign a regular financing deal with a studio for Wish I Was Here before he decided to take the Kickstarter route.

He notes on the Kickstarter page that he was directly inspired by the Veronica Mars model to raise the funding for his next film without relinquishing his artistic control. By financing the film independently, Braff can maintain final cut and control over casting and location choices, as well as the film’s overall budget. Braff is looking to raise $2 million on Kickstarter, and the plan is to start shooting in August and finish the film in time for a debut at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.

Braff wrote the film with his brother, Adam, and he will star as Aidan Bloom, a struggling actor, father, and husband “who at 35 is still trying to find his identity; a purpose for his life.” Bloom is struggling to raise his two young kids with his wife, and when his father is no longer able to afford private school for the children, he takes it upon himself to home-school them given that the only available public school “is on its last legs.”

Zach Braff Launches Kickstarter for GARDEN STATE Follow-Up WISH I WAS HERE

Last edited:
Update: March 18, 2013

Rob Thomas Reveals Story Details for VERONICA MARS Movie

Veronica-Mars-Title-Dragonlord.jpg

Veronica Mars ended its run on TV with the title character walking away into a pouring rain. It was a bleak finale with a tiny cliffhanger: Veronica (Kristen Bell) had basically destroyed her father's chances at being reelected sheriff and their relationship was fractured. Now, six years later, the character will return in a blaze of glory, thanks to a movie Kickstarter campaign from Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas backed by Bell. In an interview with the Huffington Post, Thomas reveals story details for the movie:

"In the nine years that have taken place in her life since then, she has not worked a case. In fact, she transferred from Hearst College to Stanford and then from Stanford to Columbia Law School and, as we see her again, she's starting to interview for jobs at big law firms in New York. She just got out of Columbia. We learn that not only has she not worked a case since then, she's not seen Logan since then. She's certainly kept up with Wallace [Percy Daggs III] and Mac [Tina Majorino] and she sees her dad [Keith played by Enrico Colantoni] as much as she can, but for the most part, she's put Neptune in the rear view mirror. There's something around page 10 of the movie that's going to bring her back to Neptune. It's like a "Godfather 3" story: No matter how much she thinks she's out, she's going to get pulled back in."

Rob Thomas Talks in Detail About VERONICA MARS Movie, Reveals Story Details

Last edited:
INSIDIOUS Director James Wan to Helm FAST & FURIOUS 7

james-wan-slice.jpg

It was reported last week that Justin Lin, the director of the last four Fast & Furious movies, will not return to direct the seventh movie in the series after Fast & Furious 6. This is a big franchise for Universal—the studio may shoot as early Fast Seven this summer for a 2014 release, but to do so they need a director. Universal reportedly spoke to Baltazar Kormakur (Contraband), Jeff Wadlow (Kick-Ass 2), and Harold Zwart (The Karate Kid) about the job, but Deadline expects James Wan to sign a deal by the end of the week.

Lin endorsed Wan: “I’m extremely proud to be part of the Fast franchise, it is an experience I will always treasure. It’s time for me to move on to other things and I’m thrilled that Universal and Neal have selected James Wan to lead the franchise into its new chapter.”

Wan made his name as the director of Saw. His last film was the surprise hit Insidious, and Wan is currently in post-production on Insidious: Chapter 2. Wan knows how to achieve a certain slick style, but he has mostly stuck to the horror genre, including his next movie, The Conjuring. It's interesting to see how his skills translate to the over-the-top action of the Fast world.

INSIDIOUS Director James Wan to Helm Universal Pictures' FAST & FURIOUS 7

Wachowskis’ JUPITER ASCENDING Begins Filming; First Synopsis

294t5ae.jpg

Press Release: Filming is underway on Warner Bros. Pictures' and Village Roadshow Pictures' Jupiter Ascending, an original science fiction epic adventure from filmmakers Lana and Andy Wachowski. Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis star in the film, which began shooting at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden on April 2, 2013. The production will remain in the UK at the studios through June, at which time filming will move to Chicago for completion.

From the streets of Chicago to far flung galaxies whirling through space, Jupiter Ascending was conceived and written by the Wachowskis, who are also directing. Award-winning producer Grant Hill, with whom the writer/directors have collaborated since "The Matrix" Trilogy, is producing the film together with the Wachowskis. Roberto Malerba and Bruce Berman are serving as executive producers.

Jupiter Jones (Mila Kunis) was born under a night sky, with signs predicting that she was destined for great things. Now grown, Jupiter dreams of the stars but wakes up to the cold reality of a job cleaning toilets and an endless run of bad breaks. Only when Caine (Channing Tatum), a genetically engineered ex-military hunter, arrives on Earth to track her down does Jupiter begin to glimpse the fate that has been waiting for her all along - her genetic signature marks her as next in line for an extraordinary inheritance that could alter the balance of the cosmos.

Channing Tatum (Magic Mike) and Mila Kunis (Oz The Great and Powerful) lead an international cast that also includes Sean Bean ("The Lord of the Rings" Trilogy), Eddie Redmayne (Les Mis

Jude Law Joins JANE GOT A GUN; Joel Edgerton Shifts to Hero Role

Jude-Law-Joel-Edgerton-Dragonlord.jpg

Jane Got a Gun has been hit by a round of musical chairs. Michael Fassbender, who was to have played the male lead in the Natalie Portman-led Western, has exited the movie, while Joel Edgerton, who was on board to play the villain, will step into the hero role. Jude Law, in the meantime, has signed on for the villain, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Lynne Ramsay (We Need to Talk About Kevin) is directing.

Jane Got a Gun centers on a woman whose outlaw husband returns home riddled with bullet wounds and barely alive. When her husband

Lynne Ramsay Abruptly Drops Out of Directing JANE GOT A GUN

Lynne-Ramsay-1-Dragonlord.jpg

A rather unfortunate situation has arisen on the promising drama Jane Got a Gun. The Western drama has a Black List script by Brian Duffield and an outstanding cast that includes Natalie Portman, Joel Edgerton, and Jude Law, and production was set to begin yesterday with We Need to Talk About Kevin director Lynne Ramsay at the helm. However, Deadline reports that Ramsay has decided to announce her dropping out of the project by simply not showing up to set on what was to be the first day of filming.

Jane Got a Gun follows good girl Jane (Portman), who runs away from her outlaw husband (Law) and teams up with an old flame (Edgerton) to protect her family. A bit of drama took place last week, when Michael Fassbender was forced to drop out of the project due to filming on X-Men: Days of Future Past being pushed back and conflicting with his Jane dates. Fassbender was set to play the male lead role of Jane

Updates: March 19, 2013

A rather unfortunate situation has arisen on the promising drama Jane Got a Gun. The Western drama has a Black List script by Brian Duffield and an outstanding cast that includes Natalie Portman, Joel Edgerton, and Jude Law, and production was set to begin yesterday with We Need to Talk About Kevin director Lynne Ramsay at the helm. However, Deadline reports that Ramsay has decided to announce her dropping out of the project by simply not showing up to set on what was to be the first day of filming.

Jane Got a Gun follows good girl Jane (Portman), who runs away from her outlaw husband (Law) and teams up with an old flame (Edgerton) to protect her family. A bit of drama took place last week, when Michael Fassbender was forced to drop out of the project due to filming on X-Men: Days of Future Past being pushed back and conflicting with his Jane dates. Fassbender was set to play the male lead role of Jane’s old flame while Edgerton was signed on to tackle the outlaw husband role, but Edgerton subsequently moved into the part that Fassbender vacated while Law signed on to play the villain.

Ramsay has a pay or play deal, which means that she gets paid her director fee whether the film actually gets made or not. Producer Scott Steindorff tells Deadline that he’s committed to keeping the project on track as “directors are flying in and a replacement is imminent.” The crew will continue to show up for work and production isn’t being halted just yet, with the actors simply rehearsing scenes in lieu of a director available to actually roll film. It’s worth noting that Portman is also a producer on the drama, so the actress has quite a bit invested in the production.

Director Lynne Ramsay Exits JANE GOT A GUN, No-Show for the First Day of Filming

Updates: March 20, 2013

Jude Law Drops Out of JANE GOT A GUN Due to Director’s Exit

Jude-Law-Image-600x200-Dragonlord.jpg

More bad news for the Western Jane Got a Gun. Yesterday it was learned that the film’s director, We Need to Talk About Kevin’s Lynne Ramsay, had decided to drop out of the film by not showing up to set on the first day of filming. Warrior helmer Gavin O’Connor was quickly brought in as a replacement, but now another exit is taking place as Jude Law is dropping out of the film as well. Law was to play the film’s antagonist, the outlaw husband of Natalie Portman’s Jane who squares off against his wife and her ex-lover (Joel Edgerton). Now Law has apparently left the film due to Ramsay’s exit.

Law only recently signed on to star in Jane Got a Gun, as a casting switcheroo took place when Michael Fassbender dropped out of the pic. Edgerton moved from the villain role to Fassbender’s ex-lover part, and Law signed on as the pic’s new antagonist. Per Deadline, Law has withdrawn “because he signed on to work with Ramsay.” Fassbender reportedly dropped out due not only to scheduling issues with X-Men: Days of Future Past but also because he was apparently clashing with Ramsay.

Production was set to get underway/resume this coming Thursday with O’Connor at the helm, but now producers will be scrambling to recast Law’s role. Edgerton worked with O’Connor before on Warrior so one assumes he won’t be dropping out of the project, and Portman is also serving as a producer on the pic so she’s intent on moving forward.

Jude Law Drops Out of JANE GOT A GUN in Lieu of Director Lynne Ramsay’s Departure

Last edited:
Jude Law Replaces Michael Fassbender in JANE GOT A GUN; Joel Edgerton Shifts from Villain to Hero Role

Jude-Law-Joel-Edgerton-Dragonlord.jpg

Gavin O’Connor Replaces Lynne Ramsey on JANE GOT A GUN

gavin-oconnor-slice.jpg

Jude Law Drops Out of JANE GOT A GUN Due to Lynne Ramsay’s Exit

jude-law-slice.jpg

Bradley Cooper Replaces Jude Law as Villain in JANE GOT A GUN

bradley-cooper-capa-british-gq.jpg

Although the production of Jane Got a Gun got off on the wrong foot, the Western is now getting a shot in the arm with Oscar-nominated star Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook) stepping in. Cooper would replace Jude Law who exited the picture soon after director Lynne Ramsay surprised everyone by not showing up on the film’s first day of production. Gavin O’Connor (Warrior) soon stepped in to helm the picture instead. If there’s as much drama and intrigue on the screen as behind the scenes, this is going to be one helluva film. Jane Got a Gun also stars Natalie Portman and Joel Edgerton.

Deadline reports that Cooper has joined Jane Got a Gun as the film’s antagonist, Bishop. Bishop’s gang is responsible for shooting up the estranged outlaw husband of a landowner (Portman). The gang then plans to rout her farm, because that husband has come home to heal. She turns to a former lover (Edgerton) for help.

Cooper is another huge get for producers Scott Steindorff, Portman, and Aleen Keshishian who were tasked with finding a fast replacement for Michael Fassbender (who was replaced by Edgerton), then Ramsay and then Law. In this case, it’s looking like the patches might prove stronger than the original parts.

Cooper is coming off a red-hot run that culminated with an Oscar nomination for David O. Russell’s Silver Linings Playbook. He’s also got the closing installment of the Todd Phillips trilogy The Hangover Part III opening this May, will star opposite Jennifer Lawrence in Susanne Bier’s Serena later this fall and will reunite with both Lawrence and Russell for an untitled picture.

Bradley Cooper Replaces Jude Law as Antagonist in JANE GOT A GUN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back