Locked MNN (I Kill Giants Trailer; Nominations for 2018 Oscars and Razzie Awards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Dean Stanton, Quintessential American Actor, Dies at 91

ZuNoqB9.jpg

Harry Dean Stanton, the character actor with the world-weary face who carved out an exceptional career playing grizzled loners and colorful, offbeat characters in such films as Paris, Texas and Repo Man, has died. He was 91.

Stanton, who also was memorable in Cool Hand Luke (1967), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), Ridley Scott’s Alien (1979), John Carpenter’s Escape From New York (1981) and John Hughes’ Pretty in Pink (1986) — in fact, what wasn’t he memorable in? —died Friday afternoon of natural causes at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, his agent, John Kelly, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Stanton was eerily creepy as evil polygamist and self-proclaimed Mormon prophet Roman Grant on HBO’s Big Love, and he partnered regularly with David Lynch, appearing in the director’s Wild at Heart (1990), Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) and the series' recent return, the 1993 miniseries Hotel Room, The Straight Story (1999) and Inland Empire (2006). (He said he turned down a meeting with Lynch about playing Dennis Hopper’s part as a serial killer in Blue Velvet.)

Stanton was great pals with actor Jack Nicholson, and they roomed together in a Laurel Canyon house on Skyline Drive in the early 1960s. (Nicholson moved in after sharing a place with screenwriter Robert Towne.) They first appeared together in Monte Hellman’s Ride in the Whirlwind (1966), which Nicholson also wrote, and Stanton always said he learned about “acting natural” from that experience.

“Harry, I’ve got this part for you. His name is Blind Dick Reilly, and he’s the head of the gang. He’s got a patch over one eye and a derby hat,” Stanton, in a 2008 interview with Esquire, recalled Nicholson pitching him. “Then he says, ‘But I don’t want you to do anything. Let the wardrobe play the character.’ Which meant, just play yourself. That became my whole approach."

He and Nicholson caroused and worked together in Arthur Penn’s The Missouri Breaks (1976), Man Trouble (1992), The Pledge (2001) and Anger Management (2003). Stanton also became friends with Marlon Brando, another actor from Missouri Breaks, and they engaged in long phone calls for years before Brando’s death in 2004.

Meanwhile, Stanton was an elegant musical performer with an angelic tenor voice. He sang and played rhythm guitar and harmonica in a Tex-Mex band that did weekly gigs at The Mint in Los Angeles. (He also was a regular in front of and behind the bar at Dan Tana's in West Hollywood.)

Stanton played a convict and sang in Cool Hand Luke, coaching Paul Newman’s character on the song “Plastic Jesus.” Years later, he portrayed an Ozark musician in Chrystal (2004).

So it’s no surprise that Stanton bonded with Kris Kristofferson and recommended that his friend work with him in the title role of a former 1960s rock star on the downside in 1972’s Cisco Pike. (It was the country singer’s first leading role.) A year later, he befriended Bob Dylan during the difficult shoot for Sam Peckinpah’s somber western Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973).

With his hangdog, morose visage and faced etched with crevices, Stanton was known for playing characters of innate sadness or darkness. The omnipresent cigarette dangling from his lips helped with that.

"The great Harry Dean Stanton has left us," Lynch said in a statement. "There went a great one. There's nobody like Harry Dean. Everyone loved him. And with good reason. He was a great actor (actually beyond great) — and a great human being — so great to be around him!!! You are really going to be missed Harry Dean!!! Loads of love to you wherever you are now!!!"

Stanton had been working for decades as a character actor and was well into his 50s when he got his first lead role, playing Travis, a man and father broken by unrequited love, in Wim Wenders’ classic road movie Paris, Texas (1984).

“After all these years, I finally got the part I wanted to play,” Stanton once said. “If I never did another film after Paris, Texas, I’d be happy.”

Wrote Roger Ebert in a 2002 critique of the film: “Stanton has long inhabited the darker corners of American noir, with his lean face and hungry eyes, and here he creates a sad poetry.”

Stanton also sang on the film’s Ry Cooder soundtrack, performing a haunting Mexicali waltz, “Cancion Mixteca,” in Spanish.

In Alex Cox’s satirical cult sensation Repo Man (1984), Stanton recruits a young punk rocker (Emilio Estevez) to seize cars, just like him.

“Harry is a walking contradiction,” Sophie Huber, who directed the 2012 documentary Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction, said in a 2013 interview with The Guardian. “He has this pride in appearing to not have to work hard to be good. He definitely does not want to be seen to be trying.”

Harry Dean Stanton was born on July 14, 1926, in West Irvine, Ky., a small tobacco-growing community. His father was a farmer and a barber, his mother a hairdresser. Following high school, Stanton served in the Navy as a cook on an ammunitions ship in the Pacific during World War II — he was in the Battle of Okinawa — then enrolled at the University of Kentucky to study journalism and radio arts.

Since 2011, the Kentucky city of Lexington each year has hosted a Harry Dean Stanton Festival.

In 1949, Stanton hopped a Greyhound bus to California to enroll at the Pasadena Playhouse. He performed on L.A. stages and toured as a singer with a Baptist preacher and spent time in New York studying acting with Stella Adler.

Stanton was touring with a children’s play when he quit during a stop in California, deciding to try his hand in television and films. His first credit came in 1954 when he appeared on the series Inner Sanctum, and Alfred Hitchcock gave him a bit part as a Department of Corrections employee in The Wrong Man (1956).

Starting out, Stanton often played menacing black hats or crusty sidekicks on such TV shows as The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin, U.S. Marshal, Bat Masterson, The Rifleman, Johnny Ringo and The Untouchables.

He landed his first significant part as the son of an evil rancher in the Michael Curtiz Western The Proud Rebel (1958), also starring Alan Ladd and Olivia de Havilland.

In Hellman’s Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), Stanton has just a few minutes on screen — playing a lonely, gay hitchhiker who puts a hand on Warren Oates’ knee — but he’s unforgettable.

The quintessentially American actor was hired by such famed directors as Francis Ford Coppola (1974’s The Godfather: Part II), John Huston (1979’s Wise Blood), Robert Altman (1985’s Fool for Love), Martin Scorsese (1988’s The Last Temptation of Christ), John Frankenheimer (1990’s The Fourth War) and Frank Darabont (1999’s The Green Mile).

His other notable film credits include Kelly’s Heroes (1970), Dillinger (1973), Farewell, My Lovely (1975), 92 in the Shade (1975), Straight Time (1978), Private Benjamin (1980), Red Dawn (1984), Stars and Bars (1988), Never Talk to Strangers (1995), She’s So Lovely (1997) and The Mighty (1998).

More recently, he appeared in The Avengers (2012), Seven Psychopaths (2012) and Lucky — in theaters Sept. 29 — and on the series Getting On at HBO.

He never wanted to be a leading man. “Too much work,” he said.

Except for a brief marriage, Stanton was a bachelor who in the Partly Fiction documentary spoke about the lost love of his life, actress Rebecca De Mornay. “She left me for Tom Cruise,” he says in the film. Deborah Harry, whom he also dated, recorded a 1989 song for him, “I Want That Man.”

His agent said that Stanton "is survived by family and friends who loved him."

Stanton said his religious philosophy was “closer to Taoism or Zen Buddism, because it’s the most practical.” Ruminating about death in a 2013 interview in The New Yorker, he said, “When you’re deep asleep and not dreaming, where the fuck are you? There’s total blackness, it’s nothing, right? So I’m hoping that’s what death is, that it’s all gonna go. I don’t want to deal with any consciousness afterward.”

Harry Dean Stanton, Quintessential American Actor, Dies at 91

This is crucial.

There's a curse of 3rd movies in trilogies sucking, and the only exception I can think of is LOTR:ROTK.

The pressure is on to live up to the expections fans have to continue the best action movie ending in a very long while. It was almost The Dark Knight-esque.

Good to hear the studio is sticking with the same writer, who I bet is getting alot more in compensation since the first two movies have been hits.
Return of the jedi?

Morgan Freeman to Headline in John Moore's Cat and Mouse Thriller THE MANUSCRIPT

vGo6Qsw.jpg

Academy Award winner Morgan Freeman is set to star in director John Moore’s (A Good Day to Die Hard, Behind Enemy Lines, Max Payne) The Manuscript, which is based on a script by Louis Rosenberg and Joe Rosenbaum.

A cat and mouse style thriller, The Manuscript centers on a jailed genius convict (Morgan Freeman), who leads an ambitious junior book editor, through clues in his memoir, to the $20 million in missing diamonds he stole years earlier. As the junior editor gets closer to finding out the truth about the mystery, he falls in to a greater criminal ploy that leaves his life in danger.

Freeman recently co-starred in Going in Style with Michael Caine and Alan Arkin for Warner Bros. and is currently in post-production with the film Villa Capri, which is set to be released later this year.

Morgan Freeman to Star in John Moore's Cat and Mouse Thriller 'The Manuscript'

New BLADE RUNNER 2049 Short Film "Nowhere to Run" Starring Dave Bautista

jeepers creepers is such a shitty saga, its a shame hacks still keep this going, but its the fault of the people who pay to see these worthless turds of films

I kinda like it, but I get your point.
That's why I'm more excited about the upcoming Hatchet 4 movie. Those movies are fun!

speaking of fun movies, any news about The Raid 3? I kind of forgot about the whole thing

James Wan, Chris Bender Team Up for New Line Horror Thriller SWEET TOOTH

Aw3a1gQ.png

New Line Cinema, the Warner Bros. division behind the hit horror movie It, is keeping its incisors lodged in the genre, having picked up the rights to the short Dutch horror film Sweet Tooth.

James Wan, the mastermind of New Line’s billion dollar-grossing Conjuring horror universe, and Chris Bender, whose horror credits include Final Destination and The Butterfly Effect, are teaming to produce the feature adaptation.

Dutch filmmaker Nico van den Brink, who wrote and directed the short, will direct the feature and have a "story by" credit.

The short, which premiered in July at Montreal’s Fantasia International Film Festival, centered on a woman who comes home to her large apartment tenement. Watching the news, she discovers that her neighbors — a mother and her two kids — have been killed, but then enters creep-zone territory when she begins to hear the laughter and running of the munchkins.

New Line will next hire a writer to flesh out the short’s concept into a feature.

The steps the company is taking mirror the process it undertook to make its 2016 hit Lights Out. New Line picked up the Swedish short by then-newbie David F. Sandberg, pairing him with Wan to develop a feature version that he went on direct. The movie was made for under $5 million and scared up almost $150 million worldwide. Sandberg, under Wan’s wing, then went on to helm this summer’s New Line hit Annabelle: Creation and is now prepping Shazam! for the division.

James Wan, Chris Bender Team for New Line Horror Thriller 'Sweet Tooth' (Exclusive)

speaking of fun movies, any news about The Raid 3? I kind of forgot about the whole thing
The writer-director said The Raid 3 is "unlikely to happen anytime soon."

http://www.impactonline.co/film/12859-gareth-evans-apostle/

Gareth Edwards: "For The Raid 3, to be honest I don’t really know. I have an idea and it’s the same idea I’ve had since we were making part 2. Nothing has changed on that front, I just can’t say for sure when I’ll be in the right headspace to do something with it. Whether it was a conscious decision or not, moving back to UK felt like a closing chapter on that franchise – we ended the story pretty neatly (I feel) in Part 2. I’m aware there’s an interest for it, and genuinely it is incredibly touching to see people still dropping messages my way asking for it. So never say never, but it’s unlikely to happen anytime soon."

Gareth Edwards: "For The Raid 3, to be honest I don’t really know. I have an idea and it’s the same idea I’ve had since we were making part 2. Nothing has changed on that front, I just can’t say for sure when I’ll be in the right headspace to do something with it. Whether it was a conscious decision or not, moving back to UK felt like a closing chapter on that franchise – we ended the story pretty neatly (I feel) in Part 2. I’m aware there’s an interest for it, and genuinely it is incredibly touching to see people still dropping messages my way asking for it. So never say never, but it’s unlikely to happen anytime soon."

That's the worst news I've gottten all day. Seriously, if I got a call today from a hospital saying that my best friend was in a carcrash but is still hanging on. I would still rank The Raid news as the worst news today.

Gareth Evans*?

Claire Foy Officially Cast as Lisbeth Salander in THE GIRL IN THE SPIDER'S WEB

3QVyPce.jpg

Claire Foy is officially playing Lisbeth Salander in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel, The Girl in the Spider’s Web.

Variety first reported in May that Foy was the frontrunner for the gig as the precocious Swedish computer hacker.

The new installment of Sony Pictures’ Millennium franchise will commence production in January in Berlin and Stockholm, and the film will be released on Oct. 19, 2018.

The film will team Foy and director Fede Alvarez, who helmed 2016’s Don’t Breathe for Sony.

Foy is nominated for an Emmy for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth in the Netflix series The Crown, from Sony Pictures Television. She previously won the Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award for the role. Foy also recently starred as Anne Boleyn in Wolf Hall and stars with Andrew Garfield in the drama Breathe, which premiered on Sept. 11 at the Toronto Film Festival.

The screenplay for Girl in the Spider’s Web was written by Steven Knight along the team of Alvarez & Jay Basu, based on David Lagercrantz’s bestseller. Amy Pascal and Elizabeth Cantillon will join Scott Rudin and Yellow Bird in producing the film.

The Girl in the Spider’s Web will be the first in the series to be produced into an English-language movie in its initial adaptation. The previous books in the franchise have been adapted into three Swedish-language films, starring Noomi Rapace. Sony’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, starring Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig, was a remake of the Swedish film of the same name.

The Girl in the Spider’s Web was published in 2015 and is the first novel in the series not authored by Stieg Larsson, the series’ creator and author of the first three Millennium books about Salander and journalist Mikael Blomkvist. Larsson died in 2004.

The studio continues its development of the next book in the Millennium series, The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye, which was released this week. Sony’s Columbia Pictures retains the rights to all future Millennium series books.

‘Crown’s’ Claire Foy to Officially Star in ‘Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel
Ugh. Continuing the series after the author is already dead. What could go wrong?

Also WTF! I just saw that Michale Nyqvist died in June? Goddamn.

Last edited:
Ugh. Continuing the series after the author is already dead. What could go wrong?

Also WTF! I just saw that Michale Nyqvist died in June? Goddamn.

I read the book by the new author and it wasn't bad. To be honest if you told me it was the same author I wouldn't even notice. They just released the fifth book on 12th, an eye for an eye.

It's going to be really weird skipping from book 1 to 4 for the movies especially since book 2-3 really is about lisbeth's father and what not. How do I do this without spoilers?? Book 4's plot only works if 2/3 have been read lol. Sorry for being vague but don't want to spoil anything.

Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft in the First Poster for TOMB RAIDER

XAplZkv.jpg

First Official TOMB RAIDER Footage from 15-Second Trailer Tease

ALL I SEE IS YOU Trailer Starring Blake Lively (mine!) and Jason Clarke

Directed by Marc Forster (World War Z), the film also Yvonne Strahovski (mine too!), Danny Huston, Ahna O’Reilly and Wes Chatham. In theaters October 27.

New Tomb Raider actress has no ass, like literal pancake ass. Even the somewhat de-sexualized new game version has an ass. And it's obvious they are going to try and model the new Tomb Raider off the new games.

THOR: RAGNAROK's Taika Waititi in Talks to Direct AKIRA for Warner Bros.

ETJpRzq.jpg

Akira is revving back up, with Warner Bros negotiating with Taika Waititi, the New Zealand-born director and actor who helmed Thor: Ragnarok.

Pic is a live action version of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume graphic novel. The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment. Mad Chance’s Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

The picture has been a big priority since Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures acquired it for 7-figures from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has always been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988.

The picture got close several times. Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby and Book of Eli scribe Gary Whitta wrote a script which originally had Ruairi Robinson aboard to direct. The Hughes Brothers and Jaume Collet-Serra were among the filmmakers who sparked to it. It got closest to a start date several years ago, until it closed the Vancouver production office, the studio let lapse test options deals it had with Dane DeHaan and Michael Pitt,. who had been competing for the lead role of Tetsuo, and were going to star alongside Garrett Hedlund, Kristin Stewart, and potentially Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter. It halted.

Waititi’s booked next to direct Jojo Rabbit, a WWII dramedy that is set up at Fox Searchlight with a spring start date. Waititi wrote the script.

‘Akira’ Back? ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Helmer Taika Waititi In Talks

Linda Hamilton to Return for New TERMINATOR Movie!

y1ZYMXH.jpg

After waving hasta la vista, baby, more than 25 years ago, Linda Hamilton is returning to the world of Terminator, reuniting with James Cameron, the creator of the sci-fi franchise, for the new installment being made by Skydance and Paramount.

Cameron made the announcement at a private event celebrating the storied franchise, saying, "As meaningful as she was to gender and action stars everywhere back then, it’s going to make a huge statement to have that seasoned warrior that she’s become return."

With Hamilton’s return, Cameron hopes to once again make a statement on gender roles in action movies.

"There are 50-year-old, 60-year-old guys out there killing bad guys,” he said, referring to aging male actors still anchoring movies, “but there isn’t an example of that for women.”

Tim Miller, the filmmaker who made his breakout feature debut with Deadpool, is directing the sequel, which is returning to its roots by having the involvement of Cameron for the first time since 1991’s Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

Cameron is producing along with Skydance. And the new film, which will be distributed by Paramount with Fox handling it internationally, is based on a story crafted by Cameron. Cameron and Miller created a writers room to hammer out what is planned to be a trilogy that can stand as single movies or form an overarching story. David Goyer, whose credits include the Blade and Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies, Charles Eglee, who created Dark Angel with Cameron, and Josh Friedman, who created the Terminator TV spinoff, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, were part of that room.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has starred as both a bad guy and good guy portraying the cool killer robot sent from the future, is already set to return and with Cameron and now Hamilton on board, the new Terminator film will once again have its original creative team.

Hamilton starred in the first film, The Terminator, released in 1984 as a low-budget genre play, playing one of the silver screen's strongest female heroines, Sarah Connor. Conner was a waitress who is being hunted down by an unstoppable killing machine, played by Schwarzenegger, sent from the future. Connor learned that in the future, machines have taken over and that she is the mother of the human resistance leader.

The actress returned to the character in Cameron’s 1991 sequel, which was a summer blockbuster that pushed the visual effects envelope and set box office records for that time. This time Connor, buffed and in prime fighting form, was a hard-edged, take-no-prisoners warrior who fought like a bear to protect her son.

Both Hamilton and Cameron, who were married to each other in the later 1990s, sat out the installments that followed in 2003, 2009, and 2015.

Story details are, of course, being kept on a secure hard drive at Cyberdyne Systems, but Cameron and Miller are treating the new movie as a direct sequel to Cameron's Judgment Day. And the themes of the potential evils of technology will once again be at the fore.

But the new movie will also be seen as a passing of the baton to a new generation of characters.

"We’re starting a search for an 18-something woman to be the new centerpiece of the new story," Cameron said. "We still fold time. We will have characters from the future and the present. There will be mostly new characters but we'll have Arnold and Linda’s characters to anchor it."

Linda Hamilton Set to Return to 'Terminator' Franchise (Exclusive)

First Official Trailer for TOMB RAIDER Starring Alicia Vikander

Tomb Raider is the story that will set a young and resolute Lara Croft on a path toward becoming a global hero. The film stars Oscar winner Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina, The Danish Girl) in the lead role, under the direction of Roar Uthaug (The Wave). Tomb Raider also stars Dominic West (300), Walton Goggins (Justified) and Daniel Wu (Into the Badlands). In theaters March 16, 2018.

First Image from THE FRONT RUNNER Starring Hugh Jackman as Gary Hart

DKCVJ_3VYAA0s1D.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back