Mobility

future_king

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Any flexibility and/or mobility programs out there that anyone would recommend? Or even Yoga? Particularly for hip opening and hamstring flexibility

i do steve maxwell's daily dozen
de francos limber 11 sometimes
and a lot of third world squats
basic stretching maybe twice a week
you could even do sun salutations every morning or something

I have the three stretching series from gymnastic bodies and recommend them if you're serious. They split the body into three different stretching workouts -- front splits, middle splits and thoracic stretches -- and nailing a part of your body for 45 minutes at a time is really effective. Much moreso than doing the entire body in 45-60 minutes, ime.

The thoracic stretching addresses shoulder girdle flexibility in a way I've never seen a yoga or martial arts program even begin to address and the the second half of it is basically a strength workout once you get into all the bridging at the end.

I have the three stretching series from gymnastic bodies and recommend them if you're serious. They split the body into three different stretching workouts -- front splits, middle splits and thoracic stretches -- and nailing a part of your body for 45 minutes at a time is really effective. Much moreso than doing the entire body in 45-60 minutes, ime.

The thoracic stretching addresses shoulder girdle flexibility in a way I've never seen a yoga or martial arts program even begin to address and the the second half of it is basically a strength workout once you get into all the bridging at the end.

Can I get a link?

Check out 'Stretching Scientifically' by Tom Kurz. It involves doing light active stretching in the morning (joint rotation stuff and leg raises) and then doing a light workout twice a week that includes some isometric stretching. I used to do a lot of isometric stretching years ago, but for the last few years just do the light program in the a.m. and some static stretching after working out a few times a week and i'm still fairly limber.

Back