Multiplatform Monster Hunter World

really divided on whether i should start Nier Automata or just buy this game once i finish my current playthrough of Nioh because i’ll need a companion game to DBFz. following thread for hype.

Last edited:
Did the first few quests, i'm loving it. It's amazing to finally play MH on a console.

Got my copy at lunch. Come on, end of day!

All of the originals were console games...

I meant me personally, i never had any of the consoles they were released on.

Only played MH on 3DS.

From the demo it seems you eventually have to co op to take down the bigger stronger monsters. Is this true?

From the demo it seems you eventually have to co op to take down the bigger stronger monsters. Is this true?

I haven't had a chance to fire up MHW, but no other MH games has forced you to play co-op. The hunts get A LOT more difficult as you move into the later ranks so you need to get better with each encounter to learn their mechanics, equip specific weapons/armor to take advantage of the monsters strength/weaknesses, bring proper gear into the hunt (flashbangs/sonic bombs/traps/etc.)

I think they would piss off a lot of people if they forced co-op to clear end game content. Most people in the MH forums play solo, and actually take pride in taking out big hunts with no help.

The only time I ever co-oped in MH games is when I'm after a specific loot drop and going after kill count to get the drop.

*Edit*
Also, playing co-op adds a level of uncertainty to the hunt. Monsters will target random people and throw off positioning so you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time with your attacks. In previous entries you had 3 lives per hunt, and when you co-op you share the lives. So if your team mates sucked they could end the hunt for you, even you haven't been hit yet. So if you get teamed up with people that are under equipped, you could be 1 shot away from tanking the hunt.

In past games, I even ended up turning off my Palico partners since they screw up Greatsword positioning. I would get into position for a Charge Attack and before I could land a hit, the Palico would pull agro and the Monster would head in a new direction and screw me up.

Last edited:
UPS guy was leaving as soon as I pulled up. Installed and ready to go.

This'll be my first MH game, pretty excited.

Gamestop had a double trade in value for ps4 games if you put the trade ins to MHW or DBZ. Traded in 4 games and ended up paying a whole 4 dollars for the game. Pretty sweet.

Got 12 dollars of value for Infamous : Second Son lol.

I forgot how much they throw at you in MH games. Finished 3 quests and only about 2 hours in and I'm not LOVING it but don't dislike it either. But it also took me about 15 hours to get hooked on the DS versions so I'll play more tomorrow.

Finally figured out how to link up with friends which is a lot harder than it needs to be. This game really shines in co-op, imo.

Damn, already getting hooked on every little side quest. Played for a few hours straight, crafted a new set of armor and I'm just about to work on the first settlement.

Got a few quests in for the night and time be done before I get sucked down the rabbit hole. More to come for a nice weekend morning session, but I'll sleep well looking absolutly stunning in my full Jargas armor. Only 1 hunt in, and can already feel the addiction growing anticipating what kind of weapons and armor the next hunt will unlock.

Made some good headway this morning and made a full set of the Pukei-Pukei along with his Sword and Shield with poison effect and full armor for my Palico for the additional poison effect. Took out the Barroth in the desert map a few times and the additional poison damage fucked him up. With the Pukei-Pukei armor giving the poison effect a boost as well as the Palico adding to the poison stat, the Barroth was poisoned pretty much the entire hunt. The main draw back being the range is terrible and could barely reach his tail. When I switched over to my Long Sword to go for severing the tail, the battle to significantly longer than the previous 2 runs.

I don't really care for the Sword and Shield, so looking forward to taking my Long Sword down the poison tree. My next upgrade will send down the poison path, but I don't have any of the right materials to even see what monster will drop the right materials.

I got my shit pushed in a few times from higher level monsters I tried to tangle with. When I first explored the desert map, a Rathian showed up and damn near 1 shot me. He hit me with his tail flip and knocked out like 75% of my life bar as well as tagged me with poison. I tried to create some space and use and antidote and he dropped me. Another time while fighting the Barroth, a Diablos showed up. They tangled a bit and I took the opportunity to sharpen my weapons and heal up. The Diablos burrowed and I thought he took off. I quickly went to engage the Barroth since I thought he was almost dead and the Diablos burst out of the ground and 1 shot. Fuck him. Looking forward to some revenge and in previous installments he was really suseptable to poison.

*Edit*
Just checked the Long Sword tree and I need Rathian parts to go down the Poison Tree, so should be there shortly since he's already showing up in my maps.

Back