"Monster" Hurricane Florene looms

Looks like with the newer path it is moving away from us. Now how much rain we will get depends and could still cause some flooding.

Good for us but sucks for people south of us.

I have family in that area and I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks for this type of update for the thread. I won't be paying as close or attention for things like this as I live in the upper midwest and only natural disaster I have to worry about is blizzards which really aren't bad on the hurricane,tornado,earthquake etc. scale

Goodluck, man.

I've decided to keep the 2018 Hurricane Season PBP discussion thread away from Trump-crazy partisan drones, so it can actually stay on topic.

Don't be surprised if the local WR chapter of the #Resistance will attemp to derail your thread every other page.

It isn't as if the OP mentioned Trump's need for a "win" on this in the opening post or anything. Nah clearly didn't lead off with the presidents thoughts on the topic.

If I lived in a hurricane zone, I'd be well prepared with a plan.
It's not as if these things just occur like a flash in the sky.

Sounds pretty fucking awful. If there's any good news it's that it's been downgraded to a Cat 3 and hopefully stays that way. Good luck to all those affected.

It isn't as if the OP mentioned Trump's need for a "win" on this in the opening post or anything. Nah clearly didn't lead off with the presidents thoughts on the topic.

This is the war room, thus I am entirely ok with (intelligent and rational) talk of the political aspects of hurricanes in this thread and wanted to show that in the OP with Trump and NC Gov statements of preparation for Florence

Natural disaster management should be something we look at to decide who to vote for, especially those living in more dangerous areas

@Arkain2K keeping a more stick to the facts thread in the Mayberry seems a good way to handle both sides of this

This is the war room, thus I am entirely ok with (intelligent and rational) talk of the political aspects of hurricanes in this thread and wanted to show that in the OP with Trump and NC Gov statements of preparation for Florence

Natural disaster management should be something we look at to decide who to vote for, especially those living in more dangerous areas

@Arkain2K keeping a more stick to the facts thread in the Mayberry seems a good way to handle both sides of this

I 100% agree I don't know why other posters are acting as if its absurd to talk about politics on relation to the subject, on the poltics forum.

Particularly when you the OP brought it up in relation to Trump needing a win. And Trump deciding to out of left field talk about how successful Maria relief was in prep for this despite Maria resulting in a clusterfuck and huge death toll.

But rather then address any of that some other posters want to act as if talking poltics on the poltics forum is odd.

Our family has a condo in Ocean City, Maryland. We are supposed to get spared but you never know

I 100% agree I don't know why other posters are acting as if its absurd to talk about politics on relation to the subject, on the poltics forum.

Particularly when you the OP brought it up in relation to Trump needing a win. And Trump deciding to out of left field talk about how successful Maria relief was in prep for this despite Maria resulting in a clusterfuck and huge death toll.

But rather then address any of that some other posters want to act as if talking poltics on the poltics forum is odd.
These are entirely reasonable posts.

Look, I have family on the coast staring down the barrel of this thing so my concerns go far beyond politics but let's face it, "tremendously big and tremendously wet" is fucking hilarious and Trump absolutely at least to some degree is seeing this as a potential political win, as honestly would any politician.

I swear, say something about Trump and some of these guys act like you blasphemed the Emperor or something.

Last edited:
They're expecting 1 meter of rainfall. That's a lot. It's supposed to downgrade into a CAT 3 when it makes landfall and dissipate after.

I'm more worried about peoples pets. Humans have a warning animals don't. And a lot of humans are garbage and abandon animals when times are tough.
Animals are pretty sensitive to natural disasters though. Premonition dogs

Animals are pretty sensitive to natural disasters though. Premonition dogs

It's the flooding afterwards, they end up lost and stranded. Or they drown or starve in abandoned homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the flooding afterwards, they end up lost and stranded. Of the drown or starve in abandoned homes.
Yeah it’s sad. Breaks my heart to see pets abandonded.

These are entirely reasonable posts.

Look, I have family on the coast staring down the barrel of this thing so my concerns go far beyond politics but let's face it, "extremely big and extremely wet" is fucking hilarious and Trump absolutely at least to some degree is seeing this as a potential political win, as honestly would any politician.

I swear, say something about Trump and some of these guys act like you blasphemed the Emperor or something.

I have zero issue with Trump seeking to up his approval rating by effectively dealing with a disaster situation. That's helping people.

But him claiming a win in PR with Maria despite how that all went down indicates he doesnt have the ability to actually evaluate the results of things. He's willing to claim a victory and seek praise despite the situation going terribly. That's bordering of delusion.

You can say it was FEMA you can say it was local you can say it was a combo of the two, but by no measure was Maria handled well. But Trump thinks it was? So is he not properly briefed or does he just not care?

Back