"Monster" Hurricane Florene looms

Its interesting to see the political divide in this thread. I've been an insurance adjuster for years and worked both Harvey and Irma. This storm will make Irma seem like a light afternoon rain storm with a touch of wind.
The sustained wind will be manageable but the small twisters around the edges will be plentiful.
Then this storm will dump on sc like Harvey dumped on Houston.
Ask the Houston folks if that was a storm of their life. I'd imagine if you were there it was!.
SC will be affected and many many homes will be flooded miles and miles inland. Think New Orleans and Houston style. The media report are warranted!
And all you trumpets who say its media hype why is he himself saying to get out?

Its interesting to see the political divide in this thread. I've been an insurance adjuster for years and worked both Harvey and Irma. This storm will make Irma seem like a light afternoon rain storm with a touch of wind.
The sustained wind will be manageable but the small twisters around the edges will be plentiful.
Then this storm will dump on sc like Harvey dumped on Houston.
Ask the Houston folks if that was a storm of their life. I'd imagine if you were there it was!.
SC will be affected and many many homes will be flooded miles and miles inland. Think New Orleans and Houston style. The media report are warranted!
And all you trumpets who say its media hype why is he himself saying to get out?
So you believe the media doesn't hype these storms more than they did in, say, 2000?

And FTR: no one said the storm is not a big deal and resident's should GTFO and prep their homes before they go. However and again, this storm is not what it was hyped up to be a couple of days ago. Every time a system gets a little organized it's the next Katrina..

It's crazy how these storms get sensationalized. I understand giving the public adequate warning and response/prep time, but two days in to this storm hitting the news I read an article saying we needed a new "category 6" rating because "climate change". Is everything politicized for clicks, or is the battle for clicks prompting the politicizing?
News were saying this was going to be the costliest storm in American history, more damaging than Katrina.

That's another thing I hate about the MSM , the dramatic and sensationalist headlines and commentary. When I lived in England (early 90s) , the British press (BBC, Channel 4, ITV) weren't like our press; they were measured. The Murdoch owned papers were over the top. Rupert Murdoch has singlehandedly ruined a great many societies with his gutter press.

Last edited:
News were saying this was going to be the costliest storm in American history, more damaging than Katrina.

I think they're still predicting this as the costliest. Hurricane category is simply its wind speed. The damage from Florence is going to primarily come from flooding. This storm is far wider than most so more area damaged, and is very slow moving so will sit and dump 3-4 feet of water on places

It'll be like Houston but worse

So, I was surprised we don't have a thread for this here. I'm no @Arkain2K so I can't solo this and will appreciate help and updates from other posters, but I figure I'll make a decent OP for this hurricane that is getting McGregor level hype

Hurricane-Florence-2018.png

According to multiple outlets I found, Hurricane Florence is projected to be the costliest storm ever to hit the US, surpassing even Hurricane Katrina, with anticipated recovery amounting to $170 billion dollars and 759,000 homes and businesses damaged according to analytics by CoreLogic.

Mandatory evacuations are in effects and Gov. Roy Cooper of North Carolina pleaded with people to flee "The waves and the wind this storm may bring is nothing like you've ever seen. Even if you've ridden out storms before, this one is different. Don't bet your life riding out this monster." An official of FEMA also took up the call for people to leave even if not in the mandatory evacuation zones, "This storm is going to knock out power for days into weeks. It's going to destroy infrastructure. It's going o destroy homes."

The storm is expected late Thursday or early Friday, and will bing 1 to 3 feet of rain depending on how much it stalls on the coast. Winds are currently around 140mph but expected to strengthen above 157mpg in the warmer waters and make it a Cat 5 again before landfall. Stores are empty of any bottled water, canned goods, and gasoline.

Good sign is that I believe Trump sees this as an opportunity to get a win by handling the recovery of this well, after Katrina as of course handle horribly by the Feds and FEMA and Trump had been an outspoken critic of Obama's handling of Lousiana flooding

...even if he had to be a dork calling it a "tremendously wet" hurricane

Two other tropical storms are brewing in the Atlantic as well, and any overlapping with this monstrous Florence will make matters of recovery much worse.

Florene, or Flourine, or Florence? You have a typo in your title.

Back